Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in junior college right now in pursuit of a CS transfer degree and I was wondering if I happened to choose an AA in CS, IS, etc instead, would this significantly limit my job opportunities? Would it be a waste of time? Even if I had programming experience and certifications?

My ISTJ friend had been told by one of his friends that, no matter what, you need a bachelor's and some extracurricular activities to get the interview and I'm a bit skeptical to that statement, yet haven't ruled it out yet. I've read mixed responses around the internet and was wondering if anybody happened to work in the IT field here that could offer their thoughts/opinions.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Look at it this way--say you're a hiring manager at an IT firm, and you're handed two resumes. One has only an AA, but is qualified, and the second person is just as qualified, but instead of having an AA, they have a Bachelor's degree along with some organizations they were a part of in college. As an employer, you're probably going to interview the person with the most external qualifications, as they correlate with internal qualifications better than people with a lesser degree even though both might be equally qualified. Especially in this economy, you might not even get your foot in the door without one, so I suggest you get your bachelor's if you can afford it.

This is just general business practice. I have no idea about your specific field.

Reactions: timeless

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Extracurricular goes very far only if you're GPA is equally impressive. If you're the recruiter, who would you want:

1) 3.6 GPA undergrad student that has demonstrated leadership skills through campus organization and proven team work skills.
2) 3.6 GPA student who just has a 3.6 GPA and nothing else to showcase his abilities.

The first one right? Build your resume while you're in college. I highly recommend it.

As for Associates vs Bachelors, go with Bachelors.

·
Registered
791 Posts
College proves that you can pay money and endure regimentation for 3-x years and, in return, receive a piece of paper with someone's signature on it - nothing more.

GPA is garbage to any employer that is remotely clued in to rampant grade inflation. I don't generally give out unsolicited advice, but if someone wants to hire you based on your GPA, RUN, don't walk, away from the position. Go to work for someone that appreciates the WAY you think, not on what some professor gave you.

It depends on what YOU want to do. If you want to go work for some company for X years then, in the long run, the Bachelor's is probably the "safer bet". As a converse, the biggest issue that I have with following this track, and one that I have seen repeated NUMEROUS times by people I know, is that, taking the general acceptance of Moore's Law into account, by the time you finish a Bachelor's in CS, you're at least 2 iterations behind the technology curve coming out of college.

I'm well aware that college stupids [sic] think that they know everything, but they generally quickly get a smack of reality quite quickly when they have to shift back to using their brain instead of something that they learned in college that is applicable in academia, but not in the business world.

Use wisely, your power of choice.

I will also, politely disagree with Alistair. As an employer, the degree itself means nothing to me. I'd bring both in for an interview. The choice of degree they have wouldn't enter into it. Caveat: my business practices differ from many others.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm in junior college right now in pursuit of a CS transfer degree and I was wondering if I happened to choose an AA in CS, IS, etc instead, would this significantly limit my job opportunities? Would it be a waste of time? Even if I had programming experience and certifications?

My ISTJ friend had been told by one of his friends that, no matter what, you need a bachelor's and some extracurricular activities to get the interview and I'm a bit skeptical to that statement, yet haven't ruled it out yet. I've read mixed responses around the internet and was wondering if anybody happened to work in the IT field here that could offer their thoughts/opinions.
Associates doesn't hold the same clout it used to. Now it's treated more like "bonus high school", or Pre-K college. If I were you, I'd transfer to a 4 year institution once you get your AA. So be sure to only take classes that will transfer and fulfill requirements for your chosen 4 year college.

But then again, I don't know. You're in computer science, where traditionally I don't think a degree was strictly mandatory. BUT nowadays, the computer industry is so complex and technical, that I think it's becoming rather necessary.

Check Craigslist ads for the profession you desire. This will give you a pretty clear idea of how much schooling you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts