Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what personality type I am for the MBTI, now my psychology crowd is into Enneagrams, which I know nothing about. I read all the descriptions for all the numbers and all the wings with each number. None of them really sounded like me... so I guess I will try here.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

In life there are the basic needs; food, shelter, love, etc. So there is that. So if the question is "what am I living for?" I suppose that is more to the point. And the base answer to that is to learn and have fun in life. I have a pretty positive yet bleak outlook on life. I'm just sort of here, no big reason for it. Trying to make the best of it by having friends, and I mean real friends, playing games and learning whatever I can about anything I take an interest to.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I don't really hope for anything besides being able to look back and say "OK, I've lived long enough. I'm ready to not."

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I avoid not avoiding things. I seek out positive conflict. Anything that makes you hurt on a mental level is something that will make you grow as a person once you are done. The number one thing I don't want to be; the person who does something for an illusion. People who spend their life believing that money is important, or having more objects is important. It is all an illusion created by our culture. What is really important is decided by the person who has the actual strength to ask that very question, "what is important."

I'd say the most important value to me is being fair to all.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

I fear that people pretend to like me so that they can use me. It is a bit ill-rational, because I don't have much use in any sense. But sometimes those thoughts stick for hours, during which time I speak to no one.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I want others to see me as a thing that isn't entirely there; a spirit that speaks through this body, rather than a body that speaks of a spirit.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Creation of art in any form makes me feel wonderful, especially film. Crafting something, working hours and hours to make sure it is perfect and seeing people react to it and enjoy it, and knowing this was a feeling I spawned inside them. That makes me feel great.

The worst feeling is that of being ignored by someone I respect.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

All three I tend to withdrawal and process. Why am I angry? Why am I feeling shame? Why am I full of anxiety? Can I logic these out? Almost the feeling of ironing out wrinkles in a shirt; the feelings are only ruffles in the pattern of things. Most things aren't really required to be felt, so I can dismiss them. However, if I concluded actual offence was meant by something I used wit to strike back, and can sometimes be very snappy when angry. With shame, I tend to just relive a past moment and then shudder and sigh.

Anxiety will make me question what I am doing. If it is making me nervous, it might be dangerous.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

How is this different from the last question? I withdraw and think in stress. Unexpected changes are no biggie for me. And conflict is always a nice story after it is over.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

My authority and power or someone else's authority and power?

If it is mine, I become a judge. Fairness is very important to me. I use whatever measure of power that is mine to make sure that everyone gets a fair portion for their contribution.

With others, I usually take up a supportive or rebel role depending on the fairness of that person who is in power, who has control.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

Humanity is filled with a lot of evil people who are simply looking out for themselves. Most people have no problem compromising their own wants so that others can have their needs met. But the people who put their mild happiness over the life of another, I think they are just sick. Yet we as a species are filled with these kinds of people.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ogen - I was hoping somebody much better at me would begin to help type you, but nobody has yet. So I'll take a stab. All I can do is give you information and advice. Finding your type takes a ton of information gathering and self-reflection. I feel as though I see a Six and One in your tritype, possibly. But just in case, take a look at this site. It has some of the best descriptions. It lists all the types, goes into their wings... Compares different types...

Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions

I suggest taking a look at Six. You might find yourself in 6w5. I don't think you're a Nine. I think you definitely have some One tendencies, but I could be pulling that out of nowhere. o_O I don't think it's your core, but I could be wrong. Just take a look. Tell me what types you don't think you are and tell me what types you felt struck a chord for you.

This site also has good descriptions:

the enneagram ...info from the underground

Remember that while some people are under the ideas that "rare" types are cooler somehow, they are no better than any type. It is an unhealthy type that is bad. Thus when we read descriptions we are drawn to the ones that appear to have it more together and we try and see ourselves in them. Or we just like to type ourselves as the "rare" ones. Well, don't let that discourage you in case you find type 5, 5, or 8 happens to fit you best. But you always ought to ask yourself "Why?"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read a lot of 7 and 5. And I think those two fit me best which minor differences. Like with 7, I run into conflict (emotionally) not away from it. I have a lot of 5 tendencies, such as a danger meter that I'm constantly aware of in my head, constantly examining every person in my area to detect any source of malice. But I tend to challenge myself to dance and sing in front of others, even if it makes me feel a little uncomfortable, I still enjoy entertaining while being detached.

So really I don't know.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ogen - Hmmm... Take a look at 5w6 and 6w5, then. I know that having a "danger meter" is a Six thing, last I checked. But Fives could have that too. XD I'm awful at typing people. All I can do is hand you information and give my opinion. You can always ask people like Boss or Dark Romantic or MBTI Enthusiast or somebody respected to help if you want their opinion. :) They're much better than I.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I have a lot of 5 tendencies, such as a danger meter that I'm constantly aware of in my head, constantly examining every person in my area to detect any source of malice.
That's not really 5ish, that's a lot more 6ish. 5s tend to be too focused inward to constantly scan for others.
Check this post out.
"[6s] want points to be unambigious and motives to be transparent. They want to see who knows what they are talking about and who is trustworthy. They want to be able to intuit where you are coming from and where you are going with this. Clear intentions are a sign of honesty and no hidden agenda and bring about parity and therefore fairness. Fives naively downplay motives and are ignorant of procedures and policies within power structures. Sevens blindly rely on the future and think they can have their cake and eat it too. Sixes however refuse to take anything for granted until it passes their smell test. They have a heightened awareness of catastrophic scenarios and worry the rug will be pulled out from underneath them when they see bad things happen to innocent people." - Typewatch

Like with 7, I run into conflict (emotionally) not away from it.
7s actually run away from conflict. You're right in that they'll not run away from a fight too much, but they avoid "feeling bad" emotionally.
"Given such an ebullient description, it might be difficult to appreciate the fact that Sevens are essentially fear types who are in flight from pain, always striving to remain one step ahead of their inner demons." - Ocean Moonshine

I'm getting a 638 or 631 feel.

I'm awful at typing people. All I can do is hand you information and give my opinion. You can always ask people like Boss or Dark Romantic or MBTI Enthusiast or somebody respected to help if you want their opinion. :) They're much better than I.
Stop that, you've been doing great :proud: Keep it up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I said that about 7's I was saying it is a trait of 7's that I don't have. I run into conflict, not away.

I'm reading 6, and again, some of this stuff I do. But I'm in general not very anxious about anything. Scanning people for danger is a habit not something I do out of fear.

My group seems to think I'm a 5/6, but I don't even know. All I keep coming back to is... none of this sounds like me.

With MBTI, I read ENTP and instantly I said "yes, this is me." None of the others fit me.

But with this... I just don't know. None of it really sounds right.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ogen - I had the same issue. The Enneagram isn't like MBTI. You have to really self-reflect and get down to all the "why"s. When I first started getting into the Enneagram, I saw a bit of myself in every single type. Trust me when I say as soon as you get your tritype and the instinctual variants all together, that's when you get the, "Wow. That's me," feeling.

I'm actually very laid back and mellow. People wouldn't necessarily call me "fearful" or "anxious". Yet I know that when I get down to it, I am definitely motivated by fear. For instance, I prefer to be secure. I like having a foundation and something I can put my trust in. But it took me a while to self-reflect and see that about myself. Sixes are diverse and very complex. Sixes seem like anxious fearful insecure people who always see disaster in everything. Not so. :)

I also thought I wasn't anxious because I am laid back. I'm easy going. I felt like I fit Nine more than Six. In fact, I was ready to disregard the Enneagram and think, "Well, for some people MBTI will work better and for others the Enneagram works better." But I turned out to be mistaken. ^^

Here, have a look at this:

Sixes and Fives can quite readily mistype, especially if the wing is strong and the Six is intellectual. It is typically Sixes who mistype, or are mistyped by others as Five, rather than the reverse. Both types can be drawn to systems of thought, and counterphobia in Sixes can mimic the iconoclasm common in type Five. Sixes, however, tend to relate far better than Fives do to whomever is a part of their social scene, and Sixes, in general, tend to find it easier to find a niche than do the more idiosyncratic Fives. Also, as a general rule, Sixes are more likely to look for and find practical applications to theory than do Fives who are often uninterested in such considerations. Finally, Sixes, unlike Fives, do not habitually detach under pressure.
Definitely read the post Paradigm pointed you to. That's brilliant. ^^

Looking back on your post, I'm getting a 6w5 feel. I think Six or more your core than Five, but you could have a strong Five wing. After a while of researching and self-reflecting and you find you cannot relate to Six, try 5w6. I'm pretty sure one of those is your core.

My brother is a Five. A 5w6. You seem aware of yourself, though, unlike what I have looked up about Fives. And you analyze your emotions. I know my brother tends to feel uncomfortable with emotions. He isn't aware of how he comes across to other people. He treats himself and his emotions as though they are separate things, almost.

@Paradigm - Oh thanks. XD

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
When I said that about 7's I was saying it is a trait of 7's that I don't have. I run into conflict, not away.
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding.

My group seems to think I'm a 5/6, but I don't even know. All I keep coming back to is... none of this sounds like me.
Like Julia said, you have to really really introspect with the Enneagram. I even agree with her that the "Wow, that's me" feeling is quite worth (if you're interested in personality theory :p). The E does take more work for most people than the MBTI, but that's just the nature of the system.

I'm reading 6, and again, some of this stuff I do. But I'm in general not very anxious about anything. Scanning people for danger is a habit not something I do out of fear.
No offense, but... Are you sure? There must have been some reason you started scanning people. What was it?

Most 6s IRL (myself included) won't truly define themselves as "worriers." For example, I know I have phobias, but I don't for a second blame them on "being a 6." There are some 6s, called counterphobics, who don't recognize themselves as being anxious. They have this urge to face danger, in truth so that they can prove to themselves they're not afraid. It's possible you're a counterphobic. Additionally, 6w5s are typically the ones who are less aware of their anxiety than 6w7s.

I recommend reading Ocean Moonshine's description of 6, as it discusses the existentialism of anxiety more than the other ones.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ogen - Don't set it in stone if you don't want to. ^^ Take some time. But be careful not to run around in circles. :) It's cool if you're a Six. Sixes are awesome. =]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some intense soul searching. I think my 6ishness comes out most when I'm in an area of uncomfortableness, such as; public, playing games I'm not good at, going to a new job, being anywhere other than home when intoxicated (and sometimes even then.)

I realize the reason I didn't think I was a 6 is because I continually challenge myself to face the things I fear, which is mostly spiders bees and heights. But I'm constantly paranoid and aware of danger near me, even if I'm not scared.

With my loved ones nearby my danger alarm rings for them, I fear for them not myself. I play scenarios in my head of what is likely to happen and how I will keep that person safe if it does happen.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Ogen - Aha! That is Six right there. You seem like a slightly-more-counterphobic-than-phobic 6w7. :) I'm glad you're willing to give Six a chance. Some people don't. They don't want to be a Six for whatever odd reason (bad descriptions, I think). ^_^

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either 7 or 5. I have a lot of habits that both of them have. I feel like when I'm stressed I act very 5ish. I collapse. Everyone around me notices when I invert myself; I just sort of turtle up and deal with whatever problem needs to be dealt with.

Under long strands of stress I tend to hold it all in, I'll talk about it after a long internal debate if it needs to be said at all.

But when it comes to friends, I tend to be the host. I cook the meals, I pick the activity, I start conversations and jokes. I push other people into the spotlight. I'm in control of everything, but almost no one realizes I'm in control. But maybe that is just an ENTP thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts