Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was a kid, working on puzzles or building with legos, I had a habit (which drove my parents up a wall) of making a loud droning noise with my mouth, kind of a sustained "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE". And maybe that's more of an introverted/ straight up obnoxious thing, but I was thinking about the physicists (and frequently described ENTPs) Richard Feynman and John Von Neumann, who liked to work in topeless bars and in front of a loud television respectively. Is it a common trait of ENTPs to focus better around noise?

Silence is distracting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
True silence is distracting; it gives my mind room and incentive to wander off. When I do work I prefer to be listening to loud music through headphones (and it must be loud or I'll get distracted by the random sounds I hear through the music).

When I was a kid I would also make a sort of humming noise as well, but I switched to a side-to-side rocking motion when I realized others could hear me XD

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I was a kid, working on puzzles or building with legos, I had a habit (which drove my parents up a wall) of making a loud droning noise with my mouth, kind of a sustained "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE". And maybe that's more of an introverted/ straight up obnoxious thing, but I was thinking about the physicists (and frequently described ENTPs) Richard Feynman and John Von Neumann, who liked to work in topeless bars and in front of a loud television respectively. Is it a common trait of ENTPs to focus better around noise?

Silence is distracting.
I can't stand television; but if it's the people at my testprep center going about their work, I am intense in my concentrations.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Weird you mentioned noise I looked into this ages ago......I can't work in silence at all !! It drove my parents nuts as a kid!!! I can hear a pin drop when its silent, my mind starts wandering = I get zero work done. So not only do I use background noise as a coping mechanism to drown out certain noises plus it kind of keeps the wandering part of my brain occupied. I used to be REALLY sensitive loud noises as a kid too, fireworks used to have me in tears. Even now really loud noises have a kind of jarring effect on my brain where I literally can't think or concentrate. Long story short I found out nearly all my senses were overreacting in some way. I'm also really sensitive to smells, temperature change, couldn't stand being hugged as a kid or certain textures on my skin.

So WTF is going on right ??.... in true ENTP style curiosity got the better of me and I researched the hell out of it.

Adult adhd is basically the same description as ENTP - needing background noise to concentrate is really common for adhd'ers as it keeps part of the brain occupied so it stops it wandering and sensitivity to sound is also common. The higher the IQ or the more gifted a person is the more reactive the senses become its known as Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities (ENTP's, "NT"s in general are more lightly to fall in to this category). Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities / ADD / ENTP the same traits are across all 3 virtually interchangeable. This actually led to getting diagnosed with ADD when I was 28 then found out I was an ENTP and things made sense. I bet overexcitabilities are common place with "NT"s in general but most will have no idea as its something your born with.

Dabrowski - Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities in Gifted Children
ADHD and Sensitivities - What Are Some Sensitivities Associated with ADHD

Couple of websites with the basics...... :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think it's probably an Ne thing. I'm the exact same way. If I'm sitting in the silence of my apartment, I can't get anything done. But if I go to a Starbucks or someplace else where there will be a hustle and bustle, I focus far better. I know some other people might find that kind of background noise highly distracting, but I need it.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
It does. I think it's because perfect silence is too boring; it makes my mind start thinking of ways to spice it up, and then, I get sidetracked. Some background noise gives me something to fill the void, and on top of that, it helps bring my mood up so that I can complete the task at hand.

My enthusiasm and my willpower feed off each other; once I can bring one up, the other will become stronger, and start creating a loop of increased productivity.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pacing about and verbalizing my thoughts allows me to concentrate (and serves to make me appear bat-shit), which does shit-well for my illustrating. Sitting ceases my brain function. I remember reading that Victor Hugo used to write standing over a table. He refused to sit while he worked. I only wish I could speak to him about his method and hear his thoughts behind the reason it works so well. Reminds me of the way Scrooge McDuck had a thinking room or something - in which he walked in circles contemplating. GENIUS.

Noise tends to distract me, unless it is flat line droning like a tv on low volume in the other room. No rambunctious or obnoxious noise, else I can't focus properly.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
It's a lot harder for me to start something, but with background noise, the chances of me actually finishing go through the roof, since I might spontaneously think and scream at the same time "my god this is boring!"

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh yes sir, it definitely does.
Whenever I sat down to study or do research, I'd prefered to do it in the kitchen because of the exhaust fan's low droning noise. 2 years ago, I studied for a test with my headphones plugged in all the time. I managed to score very well on that test. Sometimes I sing random songs without realizing when I study, just to keep my brain off from wandering elsewhere.
Oh but people talking is an entirely different matter(UGH)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hmmm maybe this explains why i need to be slightly pissed when i start working on assignments.. I find sober I can concentrate and my chances of starting are practically nill.. So all this time, all i needed was some background noise!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wonder what kind of background noise I would need if I didn't have Tinnitus. Mine sounds like high pitched ringing (sort of like when the elevator screams at you to close the door) 24/7. So "silence" for me is extremely noisy. If I have a fan or some sort of outdoor noise (wind, birds, etc) to mask the ringing, I can at least hear my thoughts but I still get distracted. I like to use instrumental music to keep me on task; preferably something consistent, upbeat, and not high pitched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts