Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a long time now, I've been disappointed with my friends and I started to become increasingly independent/capable of spending time alone. For example, I trained myself to not share certain things with them when I know they won't even bother convincingly feigning interest (though I brought up this issue to them and always give them attention, love and support they need me).

At this point, I'm not sure should I still keep these friendships to satisfy my basic social needs or just completely ditch them until I find new friends (and we all know that forming new friendships is not easy).

So, in essence, I'm asking you this:
Is it better to have at least someone in your life that you can talk to, even if the conversatons are meh, or to be proud and fly solo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless your friends are people who are not good for you emotionally or psychologically, I would say keep an open mind when making friends. If they are not supportive people that means they don't care much about you. In that case, your time would be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Unless your friends are people who are not good for you emotionally or psychologically, I would say keep an open mind when making friends. If they are not supportive people that means they don't care much about you. In that case, your time would be better spent elsewhere.
I agree, focus on making better friends, not more friends.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses guys! Don't know how to reply to all but you're all appreciated.

Don't recommend being 100% alone for more that 4 months at a time. You'll start talking to volleyballs, and convert to Satanism.
What if I'm already a satanist that talks to volleyballs? Will being alone have the opposite effect and turn me into a successful suburban dad who is living The American Dream(TM)?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys! Don't know how to reply to all but you're all appreciated.

What if I'm already a satanist that talks to volleyballs? Will being alone have the opposite effect and turn me into a successful suburban dad who is living The American Dream(TM)?
You'll probably convert to christianity and become Terry A. Davis.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Making friends is never easy in my opinion haha, so I will say that you are your own better judge. To feel comfortable alone can be a plus, you can enjoy life in a different way. Maybe what you need is simply finding a balance between time spent with friends, and time spent with yourself ?

Otherwise, going into activities clubs of activities you enjoy can be a good way to both enjoy yourself and meet people with similar interests !

By the way out of curiosity, I checked friend etymology, did you know that it comes from the root of "love" and "free" ? Do you love and feel loved by your friends ? Do you feel free with them ?

See you !

·
Registered
917 Posts
Look in new places for better friends. I find a lot of laziness today in friendships. People expect for others to do all the work, or for authentic friendships to fall into their laps if they just hang out. It doesn't really work that way. It is not only a two way street, you have to make effort in friendships, or you end up alone or with crappy friends.

I like being alone, and being with awesome friends. I keep the number of friendships down so that I have time to tend to them. But you have to go out there and separate the chaff from the grain. If you have been getting mediocre results, look somewhere else. And remember, if you put in crappy effort, you will get crappy results. IMO

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
@Emancipation

I was puzzling over this quandary myself not so long ago. I remember the day I was bemoaning not having a friend just like me, who was interested in all the same things.....and I realized, "Hey! Me! I have me!" It's true: we're interested in all the same things, and we can talk for hours. We even sleep together, so you might say we're friends with benefits. :happy:

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
seems like a false dichotomy, you know? i'd say to find better friends, meaningful friends. forever friend making is better than forever alone

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
It is always better to have that one or two good friends than a horde of low quality acquaintances but that goes against the grain of modern society that may as well have people herding cats.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
It is always better to have that one or two good friends than a horde of low quality acquaintances but that goes against the grain of modern society that may as well have people herding cats.
having both is best

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts