Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quite intelligent, but for some reason I have a terrible memory when it comes to conversations and events that have happened in recent years. It's quite scary, because being a dreamer anyway, it kind of makes me feel like my life has often been wasted because I can recall so little of it. I wonder, could it be that so much of my conscious time is taken up day-dreaming, that when I reflect back, very little concrete has actually occurred, and my mind blurs the real events/conversations with the imaginary ones? :shocked:

I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this; is it typical of my profile type?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am quite intelligent, but for some reason I have a terrible memory when it comes to conversations and events that have happened in recent years. It's quite scary, because being a dreamer anyway, it kind of makes me feel like my life has often been wasted because I can recall so little of it. I wonder, could it be that so much of my conscious time is taken up day-dreaming, that when I reflect back, very little concrete has actually occurred, and my mind blurs the real events/conversations with the imaginary ones? :shocked:

I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this; is it typical of my profile type?
me too. i speak 4 languages, but remembering something random though often there is difficult for me, when i discover that i forget i get like you a bit confused, aka sad.. i started taking vitamins, and also omega 3,6,9.. it's good for brain health..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I can be quite forgetful and diorganized. I have good long term memory but it tends to be very visual. Maybe it's the same for you, do you have detailed visual memory of what people and places look like? Either way its something which can be improved on with practice. But don't try and force it because this could block the memories.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can be quite forgetful and diorganized. I have good long term memory but it tends to be very visual. Maybe it's the same for you, do you have detailed visual memory of what people and places look like? Either way its something which can be improved on with practice. But don't try and force it because this could block the memories.
Yeah, I do have a detailed visual memory. I'm often surprised when someone I consider far less intelligent or thoughtful, remembers something that I have forgotten or failed to notice. I appreciate it can be a lack of nutrients in the diet, but that is not the case for me.

Oh what I wouldn't give to be an S sometimes and rely on my senses a bit more! Then maybe experiences would stick in my mind a bit more! (eek, forgot I just said "a bit more" already: see what I mean? Suppose I should hit the sack as it's 1.30 am here!)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Yeah I know, it would be nice to have that kind of memory. I find it confusing though, because it turns out im quite good at remembering facts, even technical ones (if you're like me you kind of have a head full of facts). But ill forget where i put things or what date it is, simple things like that. It's almost like the simpler something is the more difficult i find it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My friend is an INFP and forgets things easily, but is very smart. I've noticed she usually forgets things not peaking her interests. She is a thinker, for sure! If it's boring or not worthy of her memory bank, she doesn't seem to bother. That's my outlook, and I think it's admirable. You process what you subconsciously choose; very cool! :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have the worst memory. My friends are always like, "remember when I told you about such-and-such?" And I'm like, "......no?" And then they start to tell it again, and then I get a hazy memory. Emphasize the word "hazy."

I don't know why this is, but it bothers me. Sometimes I worry about my brain health, haha. But really I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm always, always thinking about things, even when people are talking to me and I should be listening. If I'm not 500% interested in what they're saying, I will only be half-listening.

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I don't have the best short-term memory and can be kind of spacy. In general, though, I have pretty good memory. I have somewhat detailed recollections of my past, and I usually don't have to study much for exams.

I'm always the one out of my group of friends who is like, "Do you guys remember when..." And no one remembers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a selective good memory. I remember things no one seems to remember. I used to write a lot in my journal and that was good to reinforce memories. Like the others, I remember things visually too, though sometimes I can actually remember simple interesting conversations almost verbatim because I play them over in my head XD

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
Each time I come onto this website I am so surprised by the similarity between myself and other INFPs! Haha, we are so alike it just leaves me in happy amazement always.
Yes, to the original poster, I am just like that. I hate that I cannot recall simple things when I really want to, but the good news is that it doesn't even matter! I just live in the now and if I can't remember, so what? I move on forward, because you can never go backward. Useless to be sentimental and retrospective, though sometimes fun.

Peace!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have little children, at least I did last time I looked, but all of a sudden they are now a bit bigger and not-so-little. I felt terror at realising, after birthdays had passed, they'd outgrown their former toys. I look back on the last few years and can barely remember a thing at all! Can hardly remember what they looked like all the way back to baby stage.

I have a friend who is obsessed with photos and I've always secretly thought she was mad for being like this. But, although I do have photos, I now wish I had a similar obsession because I would be able to piece together the abundance of childrens' photos and try to reconstruct what must have happened over the years, because I certainly can't do that from memory. It's being unable to see their faces in my mind's eye or recall conversations and interactions with them that bother me the most.

For any fellow dreamers with a memory problem, I urge you to make the most of each day with your (future) child and try to live in the moment. Also, really try to take photos and videos often; I would hate for you to have regrets like mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a great memory for peoples' personal stories. My memory for impersonal data is Horrible! I am always 'catching' people in their huge inconsistencies. I have a neighbor I've known for 5 years or so and every time she gives her ancestry she says something different! First she was half English and half Dutch. After that she was all English, 100%. Then she claimed she was at least 75% Native American. Her fourth story was that she is mostly Dutch. This woman is a respected university professor too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a great memory for peoples' personal stories. My memory for impersonal data is Horrible! I am always 'catching' people in their huge inconsistencies. I have a neighbor I've known for 5 years or so and every time she gives her ancestry she says something different! First she was half English and half Dutch. After that she was all English, 100%. Then she claimed she was at least 75% Native American. Her fourth story was that she is mostly Dutch. This woman is a respected university professor too.
Lmao!! Wouldn't want to be taking her class that's for sure!

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I just also realised that I have a bad memory too, but I do not know if this is when I am in ESTJ mode, and did not "feel" that presence or whatever... or good memories... I guess memories are to be created, and good feelings are to be had or something of that nature.

I also wished that I capture each family moments and treasure them always too...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I used to not be good with remembering facts and stuff for tests, and because of it I've suffered tremendously. My ENFP friend who naturally has a photographic memory always teases me about it. But I can remember things that interest me, recite them probably even now. I have a long term memory that even outperorms hers, I have an emotional memory and can always recall feelings and sensations.

Thankfully I've trained my short term memory, it's pretty good when I revise – though there's always that lingering problem... I always forget small and pointless things, so I can appear very scatterbrained and disorganised!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I remember my Psychology professor stressing the fact that no normally functioning person has "bad memory" -- although life is a lot easier when we can attribute our forgetfulness to such a thing. I myself am also a natural Dreamer, however I find that when I'm focused on tasks (listening and actively taking notes during lectures; paying full attention to the new person I just met and their name and face, etc...) I do not have as bad a memory as I assumed. I think that a lot of INFP's tend to let the smaller, more insignificant (to us) things pass on by, and we're more focused on the big picture. We also tend to remember things that moved us particularly, or were worthy of our focus. From our inside processes we decide what we want to zoom in on or not. That's why we miss a lot of details. But by pushing yourself to be conscious, you'd be surprised at how good of a memory you actually have. :wink:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have the worst memory. Ever since young. My short term is the absolute worst as well. Which is why I've always been scared that I might end up with Alzheimer in old age. I also think this explains me not being the greatest at studying or retaining information to discuss in the future. So anyone and everyone will most likely beat me in a game of trivia.

I've learned so much about so many things an it is ashame that I don't remember so much of it. My bestfriend remembers everything she has learned...EVERYTHING!

Sigh
:unsure:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another person with poor memory, or shall I say, selective.

I don't remember anything my mom tells me. She is my intellectual antithesis and I could really care less about what detail-oriented, mind-numbing thing she has to tell me (or worse, tell me to do.)
Anything dealing with daily life upkeep, responsibilities, or the culturally mundane (plenty of that shit in Oklahoma) is not granted a spot in the limited capacity of my mind.

I can vividly recall things if I have a good stimulus, a familiar smell most often. I also have a huge wealth of knowledge about many random things from my years on the internet - I love free-form research.

Daydreaming definitely puts a limit on what I can process simultaneously. Just like the OP said I really can't be bothered to listen to you unless you have something to offer me: a new fact, perspective, entertainment, or the chance to connect emotionally.

My next hurdle is recognizing the situations where I'm fantasizing or idealizing, and interrupting them if they aren't providing me with a useful idea. It's like a false pleasure that restrains me from ever acting out these idealizations in real life.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Could be worse.

You could be like me and be absolutely unable to remember people's names! XD

(Its really bad. I think I know the names of about 5 people at work, and I have worked there for 4 years! XD)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts