Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately out of sheer boredom I've found myself traversing through the hallowed depths of the weird part of the internet again, where everyone is convinced Obama is a shape-shifting lizard and Jay-Z is a closet satanist in cahoots with the Illuminati. That remote corner of the web which boasts a goldmine of mental masturbation, easy answers, and top-notch sasquatch suits can be quite an inviting place at times.

What fascinates me about these kinds of articles and arguments is that they tend to extrapolate towards the absolute most horrible, worst case scenario on the basis of very little information to support their points. It's apparent to me that the kind of conspiracy theorist who is willing to buy into such grandiose narratives is insistent on aligning themselves to an ethical cause to work against some fundamentally negative system in society. This malicious, macrocosmic force (e.g Illuminati, NWO) functions as cure all for many systems of complex problems that manifest in society today and lays ambiguity, a most aversive quality to the conspiracy theorist, to rest. The conspiracy theorist is usually a highly ethical individual driven by a deep desire to champion the cause of justice and fairness, but is reluctant to accept that much of the social and political injustices we face as a nation are not propagated by any singular malevolent entity, but by the sheer multiplicity of viewpoints and agents acting in their own self interests within the systems we've constructed.

Modern humans have always had a spiritual instinct ingrained within them by natural selection. However, I believe most conspiracy theories, however spiritual their rhetoric may come across, are rooted primarily in paranoia and detachment. When one feels they have lost a sense of responsibility to society and the people around them and they recede into a self-imposed isolation, it is easy for them to lose track of the fact that the people at the top running things are still humans. They have positive and negative qualities, and may even see some of their negatives as positives. Upon closer examination and more direct experience, the conspiracy theorist finds that "evil" people are actually quite rare.

The rise of conspiratorial thinking, I believe, is closely associated with the burgeoning digital information age in it's infancy. The internet present's an innumerable supply of alternative viewpoints and perspectives on an issue, as well as questionable sources of information. There is a general distrust of mainstream media outlets as a result of the vast increase in the diversity and total breadth of the information available to citizens, many of which may present alternative accounts of the same of events or even expose contradictions in the main narrative. Many people who were never educated about digital ethics or never developed an adequate faculty for discerning the credibility of information were all of the sudden members of a social media network where they can voice their opinions in equanimity alongside other, potentially more credible, conduits of information.

Ok I went a little off topic. I bring this issue up because many xNFJs I happen to know are, or have been before, conspiracy theorists. My ENFJ friend is convinced the Russians are preparing to instigate a civil war in Texas, while another INFJ friend is convinced that the government is attempting to control the weather to depopulate the earth. I, for one, find great joy in reading them and I have seriously believed some outlandish things in the past. I believe Ni is thirsty for a big picture answer and works to simplify the chaos as much as possible in order to construct a monolithic force which Fe can be directed towards. When this synthesis is consistent with the facts and is backed by logic and detail, is can be a tremendous strength for the INFJ. When it is far removed from any of the checks reality and experience offer, then it becomes a pitfall. This is why Ti is so essential to develop for an INFJ.

My questions are:
1. Do you believe INFJs or more susceptible to conspiracy theories and/or esoteric, far out beliefs? Why?
2. Do you believe in something commonly referred to as a "conspiracy"?

I'm interested to know you're thoughts on the subject. Peace :wink:

NOTE: I am not claiming the mainstream media is always right or that there are not insidious secrets that the government holds from us. I don't watch 24 hour news because of the obvious reasons (biased, mostly commentary). The NSA spies on politicians and political dissidents and blackmails them to silence, so I'm well aware of the horrible things that the powerful can get away with. You just lose credibility when you claim they are annunaki reptiles. The truth matters. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
If you're making a claim, show me your evidence and I will evaluate its truth or falsehood. I can do that without categorizing the claim as "conspiracy theory."

I remember a time when putting forth the notion that the government was spying on everyone was akin to telling people that the radio receiver in my second molar is receiving messages from Mars.

It wasn't that long ago that to say such things was social suicide. Nowadays everyone says "of course, of course" and how anyone with a brain would've known that's what was occurring, but that certainly wasn't the prevailing attitude several years ago.

1. Do you believe INFJs or more susceptible to conspiracy theories and/or esoteric, far out beliefs? Why?
I think having esoteric experiences can make a person more susceptible to having esoteric beliefs. I don't doubt that people are seeing and feeling and experiencing things that I do not see and feel and experience, and that their worldview and belief structure is going to reflect those experiences.

2. Do you believe in something commonly referred to as a "conspiracy"?
I'll say this:

The notion that sexual rituals and rites can be used to do things like (for example) introvert the libido and connect it to the unconscious in specific ways in order to procure certain conscious "advantages" for the ritual participant(s) is still so far beyond the conceptions and reach of the commonplace man that it all sounds to him like the ludicrous bafflegab of a mental patient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts