Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I saw just how much fun Goodewitch and Lightleggy were having, I couldn't help myself. So here I am!

A little intro:

I have Asperger Syndrome. It was diagnosed about three weeks to a month ago. Asperger Syndrome is a form of autism that limits my social capabilities-- It's a neurological disorder that has a lot to do with nonverbal learning deficits and a lack of empathy towards others.

Now, while researching this, I decided to find out which of the MBTI types 'Aspies' like myself normally fall into. Instead, I found a bunch of controversy on the subject-- stating that, due to the nature of our disorder, it may very well be said that the test cannot really apply to us, as it is engineered towards neurotypical (normal) people.

So, I want you guys to try to type me! If the test can't be exact, I'd like you to make your own assumptions.

So you think you know me? Then post it! ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I never typed a Zombie before never knew there was different types :crazy:

I will return to this one.............

Reactions: Zomboy

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And it seems like you may be the only one brave enough to try.

The rest of you people are boring, you know that? :/

·
Registered
294 Posts
idk, but I had a roommate in college with Aspergers, and she very well could have been an INFJ...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, this is getting totally out of hand.

Okay, to clarify things abit: I'm not asking what you figure people with Asperger's might be. I want to throw the syndrome aside for a moment and ask you to read through my posts for answers! Okay, does that make more sense?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Sorry :(

I couldn't resist.........I will return with my serious answer and evaluation.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Haha, this is getting totally out of hand.

Okay, to clarify things abit: I'm not asking what you figure people with Asperger's might be. I want to throw the syndrome aside for a moment and ask you to read through my posts for answers! Okay, does that make more sense?
Okay, sorry...I only mentioned my roommate in response to the controversry you mentioned in your OP. You're the one who opened up the discussion of Aspergers and Type, my friend.

So, what do you come across as in your posts...obviuosly I'm gonig to have a biased view since you yourself have identified yourself as INFJ and so I've been assuming all this time that you knew yourself and must be an INFJ...

That said, if you are an INFJ, you may not be a very mature one, kwim? Or, maybe you're more of an INJ, without developed Fe, but not necessarily a Te, either. Maybe having Aspergers causes one's cognitive development to lag to a point that only your Dominant function is fully developed as yet. Like, maybe even though your real age is 25 (I don't know how old you are, just throwing out a number), your "mental age" might be more like 15, in which case you might still be trying to subconsciously decide between Fe and Te, hence your current confusion as to which Type you really are.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, sorry...I only mentioned my roommate in response to the controversry you mentioned in your OP. You're the one who opened up the discussion of Aspergers and Type, my friend.
The point of this thread was to see what you people might classify me from the perspective of an actual human being-- not some list of questions with multiple choice answers. Granted, perhaps I wasn't 100% clear in the first post. And for the confusion, I apologize.

So, what do you come across as in your posts...obviuosly I'm gonig to have a biased view since you yourself have identified yourself as INFJ and so I've been assuming all this time that you knew yourself and must be an INFJ...
I revoked my INFJ title because I didn't deem it 'fitting' enough. I don't classify myself with ANY of the MBTI types. And before you get all 'super srs' on me here, I'd like to remind you that this thread was made in fun. Whyyy soo serious? :) [/joker smile]

That said, if you are an INFJ, you may not be a very mature one, kwim? Or, maybe you're more of an INJ, without developed Fe, but not necessarily a Te, either. Maybe having Aspergers causes one's cognitive development to lag to a point that only your Dominant function is fully developed as yet. Like, maybe even though your real age is 25 (I don't know how old you are, just throwing out a number), your "mental age" might be more like 15, in which case you might still be trying to subconsciously decide between Fe and Te, hence your current confusion as to which Type you really are.
The bolded part here is actually part of an ongoing theory I had during my research. It's also been brought up to me many times that I'm very immature and childish. I still sleep with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles bedhseets. I own plushies of my favorite video game characters. I don't have the attention span to read a novel, but I enjoy comics immensely.

The thought of growing out of this stuff doesn't seem ideal to me at all. I still value all the same things I did when I was a child, and just as much as I did then. Why grow up and let everything get boring?

Anyway, thank you for your biased (and I daresay passive-aggressive?) help on this issue!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Anyway, thank you for your biased (and I daresay passive-aggressive?) help on this issue!
Ah, but if I'm being passive-aggressive, then by definition, so are you :tongue::wink:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Recent updates so far I would say INFJ/INFP. I will need to dig into your brains a bit more....mmmmm brains.....ohhh I hate homework. NF I would say but yet again I am not the best of picking S types but I do know N.
Question?
In the morning when you wake up what is your mind most like?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Yeah, it may have seemed patronizing or mean in some of my posts to refer to some of the people here as "immature", but as far as I am concerned, I was immature and naive when I thought in a similar fashion.

I don't hate anyone anymore. I have no desire to hate. I have been wronged by people, but I wasn't acting within their parameters of "normalcy". I was fighting the system, and people hated me for it, and to be honest, I didn't want people to hate me. I wanted to be a nice guy; I just wanted to be a "unique" guy.

But sadly enough, most people aren't really interested in "interesting" people. They are interested in interested people.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, but if I'm being passive-aggressive, then by definition, so are you :tongue::wink:
Haha, it's harder for me to tell because of repetition in the past. For some reason my brain had told me that there was a hint of it in there, though I could very well have been wrong. For an 'INFJ', I tend to be awful at reading people... But that is most likely an effect of the syndrome. > <

Sorry to have offended, if I did!

In the morning when you wake up what is your mind most like?
9 times out of 10 I grumble at something and roll over. Usually this is unsuccessful in getting back to sleep. It actually takes me a few minutes to get moving completely.

But I tend to just give things a doom glare and mutter under my breath. I'm not really fit for society until maybe 10-15 minutes after I wake up. :p

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Zomboy, if it matters at all, I still play with the set of jacks I had when I was a kid! :wink:
I like superheroes...Logan/Wolverine is my favorite!
I like watching movies made for children! I love Toy Story! The Incredibles, Mary Poppins, Alice In Wonderland etc etc etc!
I still play board games! I play cards!
I love to go dance in the rain and splash puddles!
I haven't let go of my inner child, except to allow it to go out and play!
As a matter of fact, just a few days ago, I looked at my sister and said, "Do you have any chalk? I feel like playing hopscotch!" She just laughed her ass off at me. Needless to say she didn't have any chalk!
Yes, I am a responsible adult who lets her inner child be alive!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pixar/Dreamworks films are fantastic. I saw Shrek 1 & 2 and loved them (didn't go any further than that because the novelty tends to wear off after the first sequel). Other favorites include Wall-E, Bolt, and Toy Story 1 and 2! The list goes on, but alas...

I bought the movie Up for my stepmum last Christmas, and it made both of us cry. Hahaha, I'm such a loser sometimes. :p

Reactions: Dalien

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
Pixar/Dreamworks films are fantastic. I saw Shrek 1 & 2 and loved them (didn't go any further than that because the novelty tends to wear off after the first sequel). Other favorites include Wall-E, Bolt, and Toy Story 1 and 2! The list goes on, but alas...

I bought the movie Up for my stepmum last Christmas, and it made both of us cry. Hahaha, I'm such a loser sometimes. :p
Bolt!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, that was/is a good one!

I haven't seen Up yet! Now, I must go get a copy! :tongue:

Reactions: Zomboy and Daveman

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've known quite a few people with aspergers or a degree of autism. I used to do voluntary work with kids with a range of disabilities, and my ex went to a school with a special aspergers and autism unit, so a lot of his friends had it to some degree.

From what I know it would defiantly affect typing, and I admit I was surprised you decided to choose the INFJ type when I read you had aspergers.

INFJs are known for their good levels empathy and ability to read people. Aspergers is characterised by difficulties with this.

INFJs tend to look at the big picture, people with aspergers naturally focus on details. They are extream left brain/linier thinkers/learners.

INFJs tend to be imaginative, and use a lot of figurative language, people on the autistic spectrum have problems with "theory of mind," which is basically certain aspects of imagination. Some are upset by figurative sayings like "she bit my head off," as they take it literally.

They also tend to hold grudges and have a very black and white approach to morality. They dislike ambiguity. They like what they like, and hate what they don't. They respond well to order and routine. In general, they dislike change, perhaps not parting with things others view as “childish” is linked to this.

The ones I have known are very principled, and care about others, though they don’t understand them well, or when/how they might upset them.

The condition would (in my opinion) naturally lean people with aspergers towards being ISTJs:

Portrait of an ISTJ
http://typelogic.com/istj.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20071113192345/www.geocities.com/lifexplore/istj.htm

Though not all people with aspergers are going to fit this, (there will be variation) but I think most would test as ST's at least.

I'd really need to read more of your posts to give better feedback about you individually, but I thought some generalisations and possible conficts with the INFJ type might interest you anyway.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I question the person who said that Zomboy has Aspergers, or was you serious?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you! Yes, as I read through the INFJ description I felt it didn't 100% fit me... But I suppose that is natural. As for the ambiguity issue, before I had found out about the syndrome, I worried that there was something seriously wrong with me.

I went to the mental hospital and to countless therapists and counselors and was given a plethora of explanations... Bi-polar disorder, manicdepression, anxiety disorder, OCD, schizophrenia, and even ADD/ADHD. Treatment for all of these eventually fell through, as I knew I wasn't hitting my mark.

After I brought up Asperger's to my friends, they scoffed at me. It was hurtful because I wanted to believe them; that I didn't have Asperger's when I was really searching for some affirmation. Without this as the answer I just felt as though there was something deeply wrong with me. I needed an answer, at least a name to go by; Something that didn't make me feel like I was just inherently broken without a hope in the world for resolution.

My imagination stems from my fascination with video games and cartoons. And between us, I'll admit that my storylines that I create are simply a mish-mash of things I've liked from other plots/stories, with my own added touch. I'm definitely only original in the finished product, and not at all in the creative process. Also, I daresay 90% of my vocabulary can be attributed to all the RPG games I've ever played. As far as reading people goes, I took an interest in Psychology in high school and followed it until College. My home life was always hectic, and so I wanted to learn why these things kept happening to me. I can read people, but in an laboratory sense at best. And I will admit, most of the time I'm wrong about how I figure people will react to what I say/do.

As for empathy, I've never been much of a humanitarian-- though I suppose getting your ass kicked throughout most of your impressionable years by everyone might do that to you. When I'm needed for empathy I often can't find anything to say-- Instead I clam up and offer them a hug.

As for taking things literally... I do that alot. But "social conditioning" as I've put it has helped me learn what certain phrases mean... But that's just it. I had to learn them... And oftentimes when I'm handed a statement I don't understand, I have to inquire to figure out its meaning.

I do see the big picture, but I also fuss over details as well. Often times I have a hard time reaching my long-term goals because the steps to get there become so hectic and complicated that I wind up frustrating myself and giving up. I'll also lose my head over silly things... For example, for two entire years I used the same fork and spoon to eat my meals. They were different looking than the other forks/spoons, and I'd become incredibly perturbed if I didn't have access to my own utensils. If I'd have been asked why, I wouldn't have been able to give an answer.

Over time I've tried to calm down my irrational hatred for certain things... And it's because I've become incredibly self-aware over the years. I can tell when I hate something for no good reason-- And even while I try to overcome it, I just can't be bothered to get anywhere close to liking these things. As for the black/white approach to morality, that's exactly how I see it-- Good vs. bad. This all leads back into my paragraph about being a humanitarian... I either like you or hate you. There is no indifference here-- But if I dislike you less than full hatred, I'll still try to act nice... Though I admit, it is awfully deceitful of me to do so.

Lastly, I will say that I do seem more of a sensing type-- I focus a lot on first impressions of things/people, and I'm often mired into the details of things so deeply that I have a hard time generalizing my ideas, which then turn into long-winded rants and tangents... Oh, much like this post! :O

I question the person who said that Zomboy has Aspergers, or was you serious?
The first person to say I had Aspergers was someone my father was dating when I was 9 or so-- She had a child of her own with autism. My father (who usually scoffs at things like this) actually agreed with her. He is also a (self-proclaimed) psychology geek. I had a diagnosis set up two months ago through my family doctor (and a mental health assistance program). It all seemed sort of dodgy to me, so I'm hoping I can get a better evaluation when I move out to the city.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts