·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pogs

Slammers

Tamagotchi

YoYos

Anyone else have anything to add? Why did they even ban this crap anyway?

Reactions: zeBunnyQueen

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I think I'm listed as the wrong generation, because most of this was after my time.

Bubble gum,
hats,
shorts,
hugging

But... students protested the last two. Shorts were banned because authority figures thought they were too summery and would make students feel like they were still free to act as though they were on vacation. Male students noticed that female students were still allowed to wear short skirts, and decided that the ban on shorts was sexist. One day, all of the popular and influential male students, including the macho jocks, came to school wearing skirts. The rule was changed shortly after so that shorts were allowed again.

When they tried to ban hugging, the popular female students were the first to react by spending their time between classes hugging each other very visibly in front of any authority figures who happened to be observing. At first, they would get in trouble for it, but the less popular students followed the example until the hallways were the location of a massive schoolwide hug-in every time the bell rang. When even the geeks were in on it, there really wasn't much the teachers could do. They weren't going to suspend straight-A students who had never had any disciplinary problems before. If they had enforced the rule, they would have suspended nearly EVERYONE in the entire school. That rule was eventually changed.

See, the popular kids who made my life hell were actually good for something. They were the first to feel entitled and empowered when the rules started to get oppressive, and they were confident enough to take risks.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I think that some of the clothing restrictions are retarded to the max...
No facial piercings, tattoos, or hair that's too...'distracting'. And no hats...
During my first year of high school, we weren't allowed to wear shirts with graphics larger than a couple of inches.
I saw no reason for those rules at all! That's why I never really obeyed them teehee...
I think there are other things, I just can't remember them at the moment...

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that some of the clothing restrictions are retarded to the max...
No facial piercings, tattoos, or hair that's too...'distracting'. And no hats...
During my first year of high school, we weren't allowed to wear shirts with graphics larger than a couple of inches.
I saw no reason for those rules at all! That's why I never really obeyed them teehee...
I think there are other things, I just can't remember them at the moment...
When I was in school, they didn't do the hair thing but this one I.S.S teacher used to tell me to take my tongue ring out because it slurred my speech. I looked at him with a "F you" expression and kept wearing it. After I left school, about 5 years later they started doing this bs with the hair.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
i think the most important thing School ever banned was free thought and true intelligence, they didn't even give our minds back at the end of term....
Yeah, I would think that they would want to foster creativity and innovation. But they make you stick to doing things a certain way >.<

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
My school banned ipods.... and phones... piercings other than ears.... unnatural hair colours.... shoes that weren't closed and laced.

It was a public school too..... what a fucking shithole.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, public schools are the worst. Where I'm from (the south) everything was done backasswards and I wasn't allowed to read whatever poem I wanted from the literature books. I HAD to read along with everyone. You know, I thought that bs stopped back in elementary school when you had to read out loud. That was mostly for learning how to read, and in high school I wanted to go at my own pace and wasn't allowed to, so I usually secretly read other things and ignored what the teacher said. Oh noes detention!11! Punishment for having my own mind. Good job. Yes, that was the most important thing school banned from the beginning. Free thought and true intelligence.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That snap bracelet thing was banned from my school and these plastic bracelets that were supposed to mean something sexual.
LOL. Those stupid gummy bracelets, lmao. They used to wear them in the 80's...mostly black though so that stupid rumor came about only like two years ago I believe. Ugh, kids must be really bored these days, pretty stupid too.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
They banned iPods and phones from school grounds.. Even during breaks... Luckily most of the teachers think it's stupid as well and don't bother enforcing it.

They also haven't officially banned cards, but they are determined to get rid of them. :dry:

Some of the teachers are cool though. One of the Maths teachers actually came up to speak to some people at the table I was sitting at and didn't even look twice at us playing cards. :crazy:

Oh yeah... They also had this ridiculous rule where you HAD to wear a white t-shirt and black shorts for P.E. How stupid. :dry:

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remember when they banned cd players, when they didn't even have mp3 players out yet. That really sucked, so I could only use them on the bus.

Reactions: zeBunnyQueen

·
Registered
957 Posts
Indeed, public schools are the worst.
Public schools might be bad, but I went to a private Christian school through middle school. We weren't allowed to read Harry Potter, as it was considered "black satan magic."

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Public schools might be bad, but I went to a private Christian school through middle school. We weren't allowed to read Harry Potter, as it was considered "black satan magic."
ALL school is bad, lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
Alcohol :frustrating:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I feel guilty now because now I'm a teacher I've had to ban lots of things like:
Take-down Bulldog (chasing people and wrestling them to the floor)
Yu-go-oh cards etc (Had to ban as people were arguing over them all the time, stealing them etc)

I always had a good reason though! promise!

Once when I was at school trousers for girls were banned but my friend wore them as protest. They made her take them off and put on a tiny little PE skirt. There was outrage! Shortly afterwards trousers were allowed again. The power of protest!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Reactions: Liekong

·
Registered
70 Posts
My school doesn't allow you to wear logos. It doesn't even matter if you cover it up, if it's got a logo, GASP! No! Can't wear that. We can't have the poor kids feeling left out for not having the best brands, or people forming cliches!! Or, for gods sake, expressing ideas or interests. They could start gangs based on those symbols! (Oh, but the 10-dollar school sports shirts are fine.)

All shirts must have collars. Shoes must be predominately one color. You can only wear pants made of certain fabrics. No hats/hoods on in the building. No undershirts sticking out so much as a half-inch at the bottom. No large pockets, and all backpacks must be see-through or mesh (Clearly these are the only possible hiding places for weapons). No going to lockers between classes. No medication WHATSOEVER (This includes one ibuprofen/tylenol/whatever) unless given out by the nurse. No soda allowed in lunches. Shorts/skirts can be no more than an inch above the knee. This WILL be precisely measured.

Gagh. I'll stop ranting now. I know these aren't precisely banns, but... along the same wavelength of thought. :frustrating: Just pisses me off.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts