Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've never really known what I wanted to do when I grow up. I've played around with a lot of ideas and non have stuck with me. Now as I'm finishing high school, I'd really like a direction to focus on. I know that people are always like "you don't need to have it all figured out, your young!" and stuff. But my sister has known she's wanted to be a doctor since the age of five. So, I'd really like to have a direction or some focus. Doesn't matter if it changes later on, I'd still like to have one.

I'm looking for a job that is somewhat dependable. I don't want to be an actor or singer or writer - things that depend of luck. I'd also like to ENJOY my job. I've seen what having a job you hate can do to a person.

I think I'm an INFJ. I've had moments of doubt. I'm definitely and "J" person as I like to have structure in my life. I think about the future and daydream a lot, so I think that makes me an N? I'm an introvert. People around crowds tires me out. After having lunch with friends at school, I have to walk to class alone, to clear my mind. I don't know if I'm an "f" or a "t". I'm aware of peoples feelings and take them into consideration. But sometimes I just dislike dealing with that. I don't know how to comfort people and listen to their problems.

Here are things I enjoy doing:
  • writing fiction (mainly fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal things) but I don't want to be a writer, as I find that I don't like to write when I put too much pressure on myself. It's more of a hobby.
  • reading (probably my one true love.) I like reading fiction (fantasy, paranormal, adventure, sci-fi, mystery, romance, a bit of historical stuff), but I read text books if I have nothing else. I don't read horror though, since it tend to freak me out.
  • drawing, fooling around with picture editing and such. Though I'm no expert and have little skill.
  • eating when I'm bored
  • watching tv shows and movies. I'm not picky and overly judgmental/critical though. It's just for fun. I watch things like (degrassi, teen wolf, pretty little liars, supernatural, suits, grimm, revenge, graceland, ) Again, you'll notice the prominent genre of fantasy, mystery and such.
  • day dreaming

Things I dislike:
  • spiders/bugs (just, they scare me soooo much)
  • again dealing with people. Well, confrontations to be exact. I like helping people out. Its just when we get into arguements that I don't like. For example, I work at a pizza store. I'm happy being cashier, but when customers come in with complaints, I rather be in the back doing something else rather that dealing with them.
  • spelling/grammar (I'm not fantastic at it, and with out spell check I'm lost. I'm better than I use to be, but I still make a lot of silly mistakes. Even when I know their mistakes.)
  • doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. I like to have some variety in my work.
  • detail orientated things. (I'm fine with some details. But when you have to be super exact (like get a measurement down to a dot, I get edgy cause I'm afraid I'll do it wrong.
  • building things (like software, or engines, or inventions) isn't what I'm interested in. I like ABSRACT things. Using logic and my mind. I rather someone else do the labour.

What I want in a job:
  • I'd like to be creative and use my imagination (by creative I mean by coming up with new ideas and such. Not like, painting, singing, and such. Cause I can't do much of that.)
  • I like critical thinking
  • variety (I want things to be a differnet)
  • travelling ( not a requirement, but it would be great.)
  • a sense of adventure (again, not a requirement, but working in an office everyday could be dull)
  • I want to work with people, but also have time to myself
  • a steady pay check (so I like above the poverty line, and save up to do things like sky diving, and going to europe and such)

What I don't want:

• dull office job. I'm not aginst being in an office. I just want to be able to interact with others, move around, be creative
  • go against my moral (I like treating people right and being fair)

What I'm good at:
  • I'm an "A" student who excels in most my classes (esp. english and science)
  • I'm good at connecting the dots, and otherstanding how things work together. Also coming to conclusions after looking at the facts.
  • understand how people feel
  • writing, editting and such.
  • communicating.

I can't think of much else. I hope that gives you a picture of what I want in a career, and what I could do, skill wise. Right now, I'm considering doing something with marketing. Just selling products, without talking to people face to face. But I'm not a fan the subnimal messages that brands send. I don't have a problem with the whole. "we have to make money" part. Just, I wish they'd send better messages. That's not the inpact I want to make on the world. I've considered being some sort of scientist. Maybe to do with helping the enviroment. But I've always been more drawn to the liberal arts, than science. Just, what jobs can you get in liberal arts?

SO what do you think? What kind of field, major, job, should I consider looking into?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
You can make a great commentator or judge for art competitions or music competitions, as well as someone who writes reviews about various brands. Perhaps you can also consider working for an environmental commentary as well?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
How about something like photography and possibly putting ads together as well with photos? Good wedding and event photographers make a pretty good living, and that could bring out your creativity. Illustrating ads with photos could use your writing skills, and if you're going into business for yourself you'd need to market yourself as well.

Careers for INFJ Personality Types

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've consider it this option. Once again, I'm worried I might have to go agianst my value and make ad's that send messages like, "women are just objects" and whatever.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
  • writing fiction (mainly fantasy, sci-fi, paranormal things) but I don't want to be a writer, as I find that I don't like to write when I put too much pressure on myself. It's more of a hobby.

Things I dislike:
  • spelling/grammar (I'm not fantastic at it, and with out spell check I'm lost. I'm better than I use to be, but I still make a lot of silly mistakes. Even when I know their mistakes.)
  • doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. I like to have some variety in my work.
  • detail orientated things. (I'm fine with some details. But when you have to be super exact (like get a measurement down to a dot, I get edgy cause I'm afraid I'll do it wrong.
  • building things (like software, or engines, or inventions) isn't what I'm interested in. I like ABSRACT things. Using logic and my mind. I rather someone else do the labour.

What I'm good at:
  • communicating.
This to me says mixed message when it comes to editing as while you list a good at "writing" there are a few things in the dislike that make me think this wouldn't work out that well since it is likely to be repetitive in terms of reading the same work over and over as well as knowing the details and being ready to enforce spelling and grammar. Abstract has 2 Ts in it and things like software are rather abstract as how does one imagine a "post" and a "reply" within a virtual environment? These are things that while there are some real world ideas that may be a start, there is something to be said for what things to put in as statistics. I work as a Web Application Developer currently and would think that while you state that you like abstraction, I think the challenge of details and repetition would be what wouldn't work for you here. Not that I mean to get really confrontational here, but I can question how well do you understand that there is a lot of design within software development and this is very much a young field still as there are all kinds of failures with IT projects that suggest things still have more than a few kinks to work out.

Building marketing campaigns and fundraising for non-profits would be an idea that I'd think would suit you on some level. The idea here being that you find the cause you love and go after people to fund it. I do think you study what you enjoy and see what skills that develops that may be used within a workplace. The marketing idea works in the sense of new things coming regularly and if you focus from the non-profit side it may not pay ridiculously well but if it is enough to cover the bills, that may work for you.

Last but not least, there is the potential for new fields to emerge in the next few years as when I was in university was when the dot-com boom started and thus when I started university in the fall of 1993 I doubt anyone would think, "Web Development" for my future field yet this is what I've done for the past decade and a half. Who is to say you won't have something similar pop up in the next few years that works for you from some other stand point: Possibly environment, possibly HR, possibly something else that works for you and isn't necessarily dealing with a lot of confrontation.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
you sound like an artsy type of person, you'd be a comic book writer (comics don't have to be superhero rubbish btw), you can also have your own online comic and sell trash associated with it (mugs, t-shirts)

you could also be a writer, but can you survive the whole "starving artist" phase? they don't call it that by accident you know...

or a prostitute. :D
see, if I had suggested that I'd have gotten a forum warning

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Bottom line: what can you offer the jobs marketplace? What can you do that people will pay for? In picking a career, unless you are self-sufficient and do not have to earn a living, the demand for that profession is a paramount consideration. Unpleasant as it is to all of us, the job seeker is the smallest cog in the machine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So, I've never really known what I wanted to do when I grow up. I've played around with a lot of ideas and non have stuck with me. Now as I'm finishing high school, I'd really like a direction to focus on. I know that people are always like "you don't need to have it all figured out, your young!" and stuff. But my sister has known she's wanted to be a doctor since the age of five. So, I'd really like to have a direction or some focus. Doesn't matter if it changes later on, I'd still like to have one.

I'm looking for a job that is somewhat dependable. I don't want to be an actor or singer or writer - things that depend of luck. I'd also like to ENJOY my job. I've seen what having a job you hate can do to a person.

I think I'm an INFJ. I've had moments of doubt. I'm definitely and "J" person as I like to have structure in my life. I think about the future and daydream a lot, so I think that makes me an N? I'm an introvert. People around crowds tires me out. After having lunch with friends at school, I have to walk to class alone, to clear my mind. I don't know if I'm an "f" or a "t". I'm aware of peoples feelings and take them into consideration. But sometimes I just dislike dealing with that. I don't know how to comfort people and listen to their problems.

• reading (probably my one true love.) I like reading fiction (fantasy, paranormal, adventure, sci-fi, mystery, romance, a bit of historical stuff), but I read text books if I have nothing else. I don't read horror though, since it tend to freak me out.
  • drawing, fooling around with picture editing and such. Though I'm no expert and have little skill.
  • eating when I'm bored
  • watching tv shows and movies. I'm not picky and overly judgmental/critical though. It's just for fun. I watch things like (degrassi, teen wolf, pretty little liars, supernatural, suits, grimm, revenge, graceland, ) Again, you'll notice the prominent genre of fantasy, mystery and such.
  • day dreaming

Things I dislike:
  • again dealing with people. Well, confrontations to be exact. I like helping people out. Its just when we get into arguements that I don't like. For example, I work at a pizza store. I'm happy being cashier, but when customers come in with complaints, I rather be in the back doing something else rather that dealing with them.

What I want in a job:
  • I'd like to be creative and use my imagination (by creative I mean by coming up with new ideas and such. Not like, painting, singing, and such. Cause I can't do much of that.)
  • a sense of adventure (again, not a requirement, but working in an office everyday could be dull)
  • a steady pay check (so I like above the poverty line, and save up to do things like sky diving, and going to europe and such)

What I don't want:

• dull office job. I'm not aginst being in an office. I just want to be able to interact with others, move around, be creative

What I'm good at:
  • I'm good at connecting the dots, and otherstanding how things work together. Also coming to conclusions after looking at the facts.
  • communicating.

I can't think of much else. I hope that gives you a picture of what I want in a career, and what I could do, skill wise. Right now, I'm considering doing something with marketing. Just selling products, without talking to people face to face. But I'm not a fan the subnimal messages that brands send. I don't have a problem with the whole. "we have to make money" part. Just, I wish they'd send better messages. That's not the inpact I want to make on the world. I've considered being some sort of scientist. Maybe to do with helping the enviroment. But I've always been more drawn to the liberal arts, than science. Just, what jobs can you get in liberal arts?

SO what do you think? What kind of field, major, job, should I consider looking into?
On a serious note, don't choose your future by anything anyone else says. Decide yourself what you want to do and go after that.

And never try to choose a career based on your personality type, because (a) any type can do any job, and (b) you may be mistyped.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What I'm good at:
  • communicating.
Your expressions are well-organized for the most part. Other than a very few homophone and spelling anomalies, your grammar is pretty tight (see below).

I'm going to suggest teaching. In particular, teaching EFL in foreign countries. Also based on your comments above, I'll recommend focusing on adult education.

Pulling down pieces from some of your bullet points for comment:

From "Things I enjoy doing"...

"Writing and reading"
Perfect, for obvious reasons.

From "What I want in a job"...

"I'd like to be creative and use my imagination.":
Since there are infinite ways to teach any single module, you'll have constant opportunities to employ creativity and imagination. Better yet, you'll get to employ the results in the classroom and see first hand what works and doesn't work. In other words, you'll be getting paid to explore and develop your creativity and imagination.

"I like critical thinking.":
Great! There are way too many ESL instructors in the profession who have no idea what the term 'critical thinking' even means.

"Variety":
..."infinite ways to teach..."

"Traveling":
Mexico, Korea, Russia, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia etc. etc. Pick your favorite, or pick many.

"I want to work with people, but also have time to myself."
Ideal! Half your time is spent interacting with students, other half is spent creating/planning/refining lessons for them.

"A steady paycheck.":
Dedicated, competent EFL instructors are in perpetual high demand all over the world. Don't let the fact that the profession is highly saturated scare you away. The majority of 'certified' ESL instructors (it's too easy to become certified) are 'dabblers', transients, and inexperienced/non-serious travelers who are only interested in attending to their own travel itineraries by obtaining the free accommodations/transportation provided by many schools. Employers are well-aware of this, and will thus go out of their way to take care of the few dedicated, responsible teachers they encounter that display integrity.

From "Things I dislike"...

"spelling/grammar (I'm not fantastic at it, and with out spell check I'm lost. I'm better than I use to be, but I still make a lot of silly mistakes. Even when I know their mistakes.)"
(English) spelling and grammar only seem like black arts that defy logic and understanding until you begin to learn and apply the various rules (heh, and memorize their exceptions, see below). Compared to many other languages, English grammar is actually quite logical and...predictable. Even its exceptions are rather ordered. It is rare to encounter an exception that doesn't follow some degree of predictable logic.

The greatest frustration I have with ESL is that too many instructors still teach rules invented (by lazy primary school teachers, probably) decades ago that have too many exceptions to be practical teaching instruments. "When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking" and "I before e, except after c." are two off the top of my head.

Digressions. Anyway, you'd need to get past this hurdle. Probably the easiest way of doing so would be to take a basic English grammar course, or self-administer same using a high-quality text like Betty Azar's 'Basic English Grammar' (highly recommended). Beginning at the level of a student will also teach you how to see things through the eyes of your future students.

There you go. EFL Instructor of adult students in a foreign country.

Good luck and have fun.

SU

(re: adding '-ing': See 'editting' in your passage that I quoted above. 'Edit' is one of those stupid two-syllable verbs that conforms to the 'Consonant-Vowel-Consonant' pattern, but doesn't require doubling the final consonant because the first syllable is stressed. Hence 'editing'. 'Open' and 'enter' are other examples...they conform to CVC but CVC rule isn't applicable due to the first syllable being stressed. Opening vs. openning / entering vs. enterring. When writing gerunds/present progressive conjugations (-ing) pay particular attention to two-syllable verbs that start with vowels; open, enter, order, alter, etc. Two-syllable verbs that start with vowels are highly likely to have stress on the first syllable, which makes them exceptions to the CVC rule of doubling consonants.

"Stress" = the syllable that is pronounced the loudest. Say the word "open". The 'o' part is loud and clear, then your voice falls away on the 'en'. :) )

·
Sunset Stripper
9,640 Posts
I'm in the same situation you are in. & your description of yourself fits me somewhat as well. I'm also being iffy about what course to embark on in life but so far I've been thinking of becoming a nurse, in the fall I start as a biology major which part of me regrets.

There aren't maybe well paying jobs in arts, unless you become a pole dancer (but you'd have to be a really good one, personally I'd like to be one if all else fails). You could become a dance teacher, you don't necessarily have to dance (look at abby lee miller). You could also become a yoga instructor. (Tbh those jobs aren't very appealing to me).

Maybe a finance major, not too much confrontation going on there. It pays well with the right education.

I know its a little late but since you're a senior there's still time to decide what you want to be, even tho I've enrolled myself into a biology major I'm still looking at other job opportunities, because frankly I can't find anything I like, I've worked most of my school life to getting a 4.0 (I have a 3.97 bc i slipped up a year) so I don't really have other talents unless you count dance but I'm rusty at it since I quit 2 years ago, I excelled at it for a while, its very competitive, there was some confrontation in it tho with the other dancers, you just have to try to be friendly and likeable.

You could become a lawyer, I know it seems like a conflict wise career but its not too heated up, if you're great at it and know all the laws and loop holes, but lawyers these days are a dime a dozen.

Like you I *think* I like arts & sciences, do well in classes. I've never considered art majors (other than law), mostly science majors since I do want to live well & have a job that changes daily is never the same, but part of me thinks I wont be able to handle all the sickness.

So...sorry for all of this verbal diarrhoea but I suggest you keep searching online & do research on the matter, make a list of things you're good at like the one you have up there, keep that in mind, thats what im doing. I'm leaning towards becoming a nurse but it seems like every field has a surplus of people there. Bottom line is keep searching and sorry for the long non-helpful post.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Become an entrepreneur

·
Registered
29 Posts

• eating when I'm bored
  • day dreaming

Things I dislike:

What I want in a job:

What I don't want:

What I'm good at:
  • communicating.

How about working in a school? You don't necessarily have to be a teacher, but there are a lot of support positions you could do. Teaching is kind of hard to do if you are behind the scenes kind of person as you have to almost be able to work a crowd, but it's certainly doable and if you majored in education you would have student teaching experiences to give you practice.

Also, have you ever looked into Speech Pathology, Audiology, or Occupational Therapy. Those sound like they might be right up your alley. They require graduate degrees, but if thats your plan and you go for it, its totally doable.

·
Banned
738 Posts
Advertising, research it and be blown away by my insightfulness.

Personal Characteristics;

-energy, self-confidence, initiative and competitive spirit
-excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to make presentations under pressure
-the interpersonal skills required to build and maintain professional relationships with clients, suppliers and coworkers
-imagination, creativity, flexibility and the ability to learn quickly
-an open-minded and inquisitive attitude
-exceptional organizational skills
-the ability to pay close attention to details and see the big picture
-integrity.
-They should enjoy consulting with people and analyzing client needs, and developing, implementing and evaluating advertising campaigns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts