Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some most basic questions of life, as far as I understand it. Answer in 2 sentences or less.

1. What is the purpose of life?

2. Have you discovered a particular purpose to your life?

3. What does love mean to you?

4. What is the most meaningful work you have ever done?

5. Is there a book / film / piece of music / other kind of art, having experienced which, your life is substantially different now? How?

6. Apart from figures in your childhood, is there a person - famous or not - because of who your life is substantially different today? How?

7. Our life span is a few decades in the history of a species that is 2 million years old; on a planet that is 6 billion years old; in a universe that is 15 billion years old. There were perhaps other universes before and will be after this one. In terms of size, our planet is a speck on a speck on a speck. Given this, is there anything you do or become that can be of any significance?

8. How old are you?

9. If you like, share one quotation that means a lot to you.

*I've added two more questions and altered no. 4 slightly.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
This should be interesting.

Here are some most basic questions of life, as far as I understand it. Answer in 2 sentences or less.

A creative renewal of life is the purpose of it. Understanding the old, rejecting it and then creating the new.

Yes. To express using the medium of words.

Nothing.

4. What is the most meaningful task you have ever done?
Every time I write something new it looks like the most meaningful thing ever. Thus writing this post to you is the most meaningful thing so far.

5. Is there a book / film / piece of music / other kind of art, having experienced which, your life is substantially different now? How?
Yes. Long back books by Paulo Coelho and recently philosophy of Frederick Nietzsche have been significant influences though I have an intuitive feeling that I will outgrow all influences eventually.

6. Apart from figures in your childhood, is there a person - famous or not - because of who your life is substantially different today? How?
There are spiritual practices that I have done that have had a big impact on my life. But they are only practices, there is no person particularly who has influenced me.

7. Our life span is a few decades in the history of a species that is 2 million years old; on a planet that is 6 billion years old; in a universe that is 15 billion years old. There were perhaps other universes before and will be after this one. In terms of size, our planet is a speck on a speck on a speck. Given this, is there anything you do or become that can be of any significance?
(this question will go longer than your limit.) I don't believe in a human centric universe. Some element of chance is there in the earth and the human race happening. Significance in the universe or the history are redundant ideas because those are just stories told to us, aren't they? And if they turn oppressive to my being I will reject them. However, they provide me with interesting material that I can use to express myself, create stories, fictions. I see a lot of richness possible in the endless information available. I will convert it into something one day. As long as humanity will preserve my works, future writers or artists will find my works inspiring, some significance will remain to my work. And what can I really do about it if my works will be lost?

·
Registered
771 Posts

The purpose of life should be created or chosen by each individual, hopefully following what their inner selves tell them. As 4s, as I believe it's closely related to personality, finding identity and meaning, finding who we are and a way to express it, is usually our purpose.

Not yet. I am a seeker. After I lost the love of my life a month ago I'm more lost than I ever was, with a total lack of purpose, but I'm now finding relief by expressing my self through my tumblr, and in perc, and in writing. I feel my purpose in life will ultimately be expressing my self through some sort of art.

A lot. I can't seem to be able to share my life and experiences with many people, and I'm very withdrawn, always. I do need someone who understands me and is there for me, listening to me... Who I can share everything with.

I've done many small, meaningful things... Maybe the biggest one was having the person I loved living in my home for a while, she was from another country... All the time spent with her was the most meaningful for me, but it's painful to think about it now.

So many. Overall, Hermann Hesse's works have inspired me more than anything else, I'd say. How? In the way I think, in how I feel about things... In how I see life. In feeling understood and not alone.

Certainty more of them are writers, filmmakers, thinkers and artists rather than people I've met; there are many of those.. But I should say my ex girlfriend. She truly had the biggest impact.

Not thinking about this kind of things seriously. It might be true, it might be not. No one knows what is there after death. It might surprise us. I guess we won't care much about what happens here when we're gone, anyway. Or maybe we will. I don't know. But at the moment we just have to live our live the way our impulses tell us. Follow our nature.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks :) ... I can't impose myself on anyone here, and don't want to either. But do consider restricting your answers to two sentences - when there are lots of posts, people may find it easier to read them if the answers are short. But also, having a very brief space makes you say the most important thing, and often, as clearly as possible.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It is to be one with Absolute reality, who I call god. Eventually, we all will become one with god, but as human beings we have the freedom to further this process or not further it.

Being in my 20s means I need to create a life in the realms of work and love. Being a 4w5 tells me that I need to express myself in the areas of finding deeper meaning (4) and clear understanding (5) in all areas of my being.

(Breaking the limit here :( ) I would add that the particular purpose of my life is a shifting target, and every moment asks something new from us, only if we are able to listen.

Love is not an emotion, it is the basic connectedness between two human beings which they may choose to manifest or repress. To feel deeply loved, and to deeply love, makes me aware that my life has a meaning.

I volunteered as a counsellor and also a meditation instructor, teaching a non-religious form of meditation. I felt I could affect people's lives spiritually and help them discover greater meaning, especially in the areas of love and work, but also inwardly.

While no such thing has transformed my life, I would say that the thinking and films of Andrei Tarkovsky have made me realise that the only journey you make is the inner one, from the moment of birth to death. If you have moved closer to the underlying spiritual reality while doing so - and not necessarily, but hopefully even helped others move in that direction - your life is not a waste.

My first therapist and meditation teacher who are the same person. He showed me that my life matters, by listening to me and helping me explore the problems of my inner life.

Our souls make us significant, not our physical or emotional realities, because the underlying basis of the universe is also a spiritual one. What gives my life significance is the ability to touch another human being at a level so deep that their soul responds by finding and living out a more meaningful life than it had before you touched them.

8. How old are you?

"I make films to help people live - even if they cause some pain" - Andrei Tarkovsky.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I don't know. I would say to procreate but "purpose" itself implies some sort of teleology, so I am hesitant to say even that much.

The meaning to my life is to pursue knowledge to the highest extent possible, and use it to help reduce needless suffering as much as possible (for people and for animals). To seek to make the world a better place, which requires the courage to challenge and dissent. To keep such courage requires the willingness to expand horizons, learn, empathize, grow. In my life it is also very important to seek patterns and archetypes, and create a bridge between the past, present and future.

Wanting what is best for the other person.

Working to improve the lives of children, especially underprivileged or disabled children.

I don't know about substantially, for any one piece of art. Many films and books and pieces of music and art have worked together to change me. I feel like every piece of art I love becomes a part of me.

Yes. Of course. So many people! I'm pretty guarded so by the time I let you get close to me, there's a chance that my life is now substantially different because you're in it. I see close interpersonal relationships almost like new worlds to explore. Experience meets experience and creates something new, that is chemistry. But then there is a mentor I had, a professor of mine, who seriously changed how I see the world and think about problems. I love Philosophy now because of his classes and with Philosophy in my life, everything is drastically different than it would otherwise be. I was also pretty lost when I started taking his classes, feeling like something was just very off about our culture and the world and he was a voice of reason and I don't even know how to get into all of it right now.

Not really but I actually find that comforting. Takes off the pressure to do something huge and amazing, instead just do my best.

8. How old are you?
I am quite 26.

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
To enjoy it, to love and to follow your bliss.

To bring forth personal visions into a tangible form. To love and nurture.

It's an intangible feeling which inspires giving form and nourishing.

I found most personal fulfillment in composing, singing and giving birth and raising my children. Also the work I put into my relationships in general.
Contemplating on the spiritual.

I would say there are many that have influenced my inner development but some were powerful catalysts for personal realisations, like Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes and Stephen Mitchell's translation of Tao Te Ching.

Most people I form friendships and relationships with because our interactions teach me about myself. One other person was a curious character I met years back who taught me to trust my intuition. Most recently my husband whose taught me lessons about love.

Everything is of significance. Every speck of it.

8. How old are you?

"People are unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered. Love them anyway. If you do good, people may accuse you of selfish motives. Do good anyway. If you are successful, you may win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway. The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Honesty and transparency make you vulnerable. Be honest and transparent anyway. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway. People who really want help may attack you if you help them. Help them anyway. Give the world the best you have and you may get hurt. Give the world your best anyway."

(This one's usually credited to Mother Theresa but it isn't necessarily by her)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

Love is not an emotion, it is the basic connectedness between two human beings which they may choose to manifest or repress. To feel deeply loved, and to deeply love, makes me aware that my life has a meaning.
I didn't want to read the other answers before I posted mine and I was struggling to verbalise what love was, but your reply is actually a much better description of what was hovering at the back of my mind. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes. Of course. So many people! I'm pretty guarded so by the time I let you get close to me, there's a chance that my life is now substantially different because you're in it. I see close interpersonal relationships almost like new worlds to explore. Experience meets experience and creates something new, that is chemistry.
I like that thought. Either one connects deeply or doesn't connect much.

·
Registered
771 Posts

The purpose of life should be created or chosen by each individual, hopefully following what their inner selves tell them. As 4s, as I believe it's closely related to personality, finding identity and meaning, finding who we are and a way to express it, is usually our purpose.

Not yet. I am a seeker. After I lost the love of my life a month ago I'm more lost than I ever was, with a total lack of purpose, but I'm now finding relief by expressing my self through my tumblr, and in perc, and in writing. I feel my purpose in life will ultimately be expressing my self through some sort of art.

A lot. I can't seem to be able to share my life and experiences with many people, and I'm very withdrawn, always. I do need someone who understands me and is there for me, listening to me... Who I can share everything with.

I've done many small, meaningful things... Maybe the biggest one was having the person I loved living in my home for a while, she was from another country... All the time spent with her was the most meaningful for me, but it's painful to think about it now.

So many. Overall, Hermann Hesse's works have inspired me more than anything else, I'd say. How? In the way I think, in how I feel about things... In how I see life. In feeling understood and not alone.

Certainty more of them are writers, filmmakers, thinkers and artists rather than people I've met; there are many of those.. But I should say my ex girlfriend. She truly had the biggest impact.

Not thinking about this kind of things seriously. It might be true, it might be not. No one knows what is there after death. It might surprise us. I guess we won't care much about what happens here when we're gone, anyway. Or maybe we will. I don't know. But at the moment we just have to live our live the way our impulses tell us. Follow our nature.
Adding the two last questions:

8. How old are you?

"I have always believed, and I still believe, that whatever good or bad fortune may come our way we can always give it meaning and transform it into something of value."
Hermann Hesse

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

To learn.

Same as above. Same for everyone.

The ability to care for others without projecting issues with self.

Probably my years on various forums like these and the dozens/hundreds of people I've helped and gotten to know.

No.

Yeah, all my girlfriends. I would certainly hope that anyone that intimate would have an effect on me. xD

This question is irrelevant.

8. How old are you?

Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'll answer some of these tentatively.

Life is conscious, and so desires to know environment and selfness through itself, all that ever was - like a god. I think 'life' is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, flourishes with billions of consciousnesses per species (each being possessing a consequential will), and exists this way to experience itself in innumerable ways, just as we do.

I think it's arbitrary, such a thing as an individual's purpose. I determine that function and origin are integral to know, and I seek them to my satisfaction, regardless of my egotism to have identity.

The evocation of body (proximity), mind (shared dependence) and soul (ease of energy transmission amid and beyond identity).

Divining my "Dream Team" - a group of friends I chose based on something metaphysical.

My affinities for certain arts of nature; toads, low atmospheric pressure (wind) before it rains, large grassy fields highly untouched by industry, and mountains. Coincidentally, these fondnesses and more (the number 9, drive, the color orange, martial arts), were featured in the anime Naruto, which is an uncanny piece of art to me, making me introspect a good deal.

For better and for worse, I made a friend at age 16. She was the first entrant of, and primary archetype upon which I'd base, my "Dream Team."

It is enough that I will eternally be part of consciousness everywhere as a constituent that will never die. It's futile to attain status for the vanity of my identity, so I aim to increase the frequency of existential/metaphysical sensations, to which I'd apply intuition to extract origin, with which I might become/catalyze a catalyst for something needed, as oft as needed.

8. How old are you?
I am 23.

I quote a band's song, "Courage Was Confused," from Knapsack. I believe it suggests seeing through guises to foresee implications, especially before it's too late to do so, whether for others or for yourself.

"The secret is in the sacrifice."

·
Registered
642 Posts
There is absolutely none.

Do whatever the heck I want, try new things, whatever makes me happy. I always try to expand my horizons and experience new things.

I'm not sure if it exists, but I'd like it to. I think it's just being with someone that you can have fun with and talk to comfortably to the point that it would be a real shame to lose them. That doesn't sound very romantic, does it...?

I don't really know. I haven't lived for a very long time.

No. But finding new music and developing my personal musical tastes has changed me.

I was hurt by this one person, and I think I am all the better for it.

No, and I accept that. I live for self pleasure and self enlightenment. But if I can ever ease someone's suffering or make them laugh even for a short while, I believe my existence is significant. Not to the world, and not to the universe, but I can be significant to at least one person, even if only for a few moments.

8. How old are you?
Fifteen.

Can it be a song lyric? "The sky is full of dreams, but you don't know how to fly."

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
These answers have a 3 month expiration date...

To live as much live that you can.

2. Have you discovered a particular purpose to
your life?

Like, a calling? No, but I feel like I'm getting near it.

Love is a regard for another that is acted upon. It means the same to me given or received.

Becoming benign. It sounds dull, but the hard things in life are and I've always had it in my head that it is important to learn to not precipitate harm before you actively crusade to fix it.

A great Science Fiction author once wrote a universally recognized shit novel called 'Number of the Beast'. It opened my mind to possibility when there wasn't much of it in my life.

Nope, I hate the idea of conceding influence to somebody else over my own decisions, even if they were informed by somebody else.

Especially given all this galactic B.S., yes. Significance is perceived by yourself in the moment, not the Universe.

8. How old are you?

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1. What is the purpose of life? There isn't one, we just happened. I guess like other animals, we help the plants by giving them oxygen?

2. Have you discovered a particular purpose to your life? nope. but I'm on a quest to find one because if society says I need a career, then I might as well find one I'm passionate about. I'd say that's a passion more than a purpose, actually nvm.

3. What does love mean to you? deeply caring about someone and wanting to protect them and be there for them

4. What is the most meaningful work you have ever done? there's not a MOST meaningful one, but I guess these portraits I did last year were meaningful to me because I hadn't done anything realistic in years, so it proved to my peers what I'm capable of

5. Is there a book / film / piece of music / other kind of art, having experienced which, your life is substantially different now? How? Any lyrics by Conor Oberst have affected me because I find them so relatable

6. Apart from figures in your childhood, is there a person - famous or not - because of who your life is substantially different today? How? nah

7. Our life span is a few decades in the history of a species that is 2 million years old; on a planet that is 6 billion years old; in a universe that is 15 billion years old. There were perhaps other universes before and will be after this one. In terms of size, our planet is a speck on a speck on a speck. Given this, is there anything you do or become that can be of any significance? I mean everyone else seems to think that life is significant, so it's very important to them...so if I can do something to help people emotionally, that'd probably be of significance to them, and that would make me happy... After typing that out, I guess the short answer is that helping people would be significant to me.

8. How old are you? 22

9. If you like, share one quotation that means a lot to you. "I'm staring out into that vacuum again from the back porch of my mind, the only thing that's alive, I'm all there is."

Reactions: faizafaiz

·
Registered
756 Posts

-I see life as a play ground or an RPG, we were plopped here with endless possibilities, you decide what to do.

-Mine is to help other people grow and open their eyes to the wonders of the world.

-Love is a motivator for me. Whether it's my love for specific others or the love that's in the world, it gives me hope.

-Helping my friends through tough times

-No, I'm not easily influenced by things like that, it takes more than just one piece of art to change my world view.

-Out of a bunch of reasons one is to grow for the people I care about so that they don't have to put up with my insane moods... Other than that the people that bullied me ended up unintentionally pushing me towards working on myself because they made fun of my depression.

-This sounds a lot like an excuse an unhealthy nine would use to not put too much effort in to their lives. One thing I learned from dealing with existential depression for a good two years is that you have to look at things your own size, just like you would tell a bully to pick on somebody their own size. Not too small and not too big.

8. How old are you?

-almost 17

This was from somewhere on youtube actually: "Do to yourself as you would do unto your best friend"

·
PerC Mermaid
23,481 Posts
To learn and to connect. To make a difference in others lives and by that, to make a difference in mine.

My purpose in life is to be a good role model to my two girls.

To me, love is the most pure kind of connection. Love is something essential in life.

Raising my two girls is something I feel proud of. Being able to provide.

My math teacher. He taught me the art of listening to my heart and how just one person doing their best can touch the ones around them.

I am just a drop in the ocean.

8. How old are you?
34 years old.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
John Lennon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts