Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,612 Posts
1. What is the purpose of life?
I don't know. I would say to procreate but "purpose" itself implies some sort of teleology, so I am hesitant to say even that much.

2. Have you discovered a particular purpose to your life?
The meaning to my life is to pursue knowledge to the highest extent possible, and use it to help reduce needless suffering as much as possible (for people and for animals). To seek to make the world a better place, which requires the courage to challenge and dissent. To keep such courage requires the willingness to expand horizons, learn, empathize, grow. In my life it is also very important to seek patterns and archetypes, and create a bridge between the past, present and future.

3. What does love mean to you?
Wanting what is best for the other person.

4. What is the most meaningful work you have ever done?
Working to improve the lives of children, especially underprivileged or disabled children.

5. Is there a book / film / piece of music / other kind of art, having experienced which, your life is substantially different now? How?
I don't know about substantially, for any one piece of art. Many films and books and pieces of music and art have worked together to change me. I feel like every piece of art I love becomes a part of me.

6. Apart from figures in your childhood, is there a person - famous or not - because of who your life is substantially different today? How?

Yes. Of course. So many people! I'm pretty guarded so by the time I let you get close to me, there's a chance that my life is now substantially different because you're in it. I see close interpersonal relationships almost like new worlds to explore. Experience meets experience and creates something new, that is chemistry. But then there is a mentor I had, a professor of mine, who seriously changed how I see the world and think about problems. I love Philosophy now because of his classes and with Philosophy in my life, everything is drastically different than it would otherwise be. I was also pretty lost when I started taking his classes, feeling like something was just very off about our culture and the world and he was a voice of reason and I don't even know how to get into all of it right now.

7. Our life span is a few decades in the history of a species that is 2 million years old; on a planet that is 6 billion years old; in a universe that is 15 billion years old. There were perhaps other universes before and will be after this one. In terms of size, our planet is a speck on a speck on a speck. Given this, is there anything you do or become that can be of any significance?

Not really but I actually find that comforting. Takes off the pressure to do something huge and amazing, instead just do my best.

8. How old are you?
I am quite 26.

9. If you like, share one quotation that means a lot to you.

“the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." - Jack Kerouac

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.