Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salutations all,

WARNING: The level of profundity that this thread offers is in question.

The following question has plagued my mind, day after day (okay, a gross exaggeration...)

What would compel someone to use the bathroom stall in between two neighbouring (and occupied) bathroom stalls when the first two are unoccupied?

Effectively, it is a bathroom stall-sandwich of sorts...and not the delicious kind. :wink:

Clint Rainey from Science of Us writes, "According to a survey of bathroomgoers’ habits: If presented with three empty stalls, men: go left 28 percent of the time, go straight ahead 40 percent of the time and go to the right 32 percent of the time. Presented with that same trio, women: go left 34 percent of the time, go straight ahead 29 percent of the time and go to the right 37 percent of the time."

"...But when the left stall is occupied: men head to the far right 73 percent of the time. Women, under the same circumstance also move the far right 65 percent of the time..." [Everything We Know About Human Bathroom Behavior, Clint Rainey]

I would imagine that the impetus is 'privacy'. Booooooringgggg. Also, research indicates that middle stalls harbour the most bacteria. [Conquering the 'ewww' factor of the public potty, CNN] A plausible explanation, yes?

You are all very much welcome to theorise with me! Actually, I implore you to...

P.s. Results may or may not be a product of pseudo-science. Interpret as you may.

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seriously doubt that most people know a thing about research about bacteria. Maybe people just don't want other people to hear them flush or something. Actually, I'm personally wondering why I'm even debating about public toilets because in my area, they're REALLY bad news. Trust me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SpamBot101,

Thank you kindly for indulging me with a response (especially given the nature of the subject matter).

That's plausible also. Subject A could have wanted to disguise the sound of them urinating, defecating and/or flushing.

I also posit that it would be increasingly difficult for one to discern which Subject (B or C) was on your left or right because of the confluence of noise.

"Bad News", haha. I can only imagine...

Also, did you also know that women's restrooms contain more faecal bacteria then men's? They discovered a two-to-one ratio for bacteria. No doubt, due to a higher frequency of use as women have a smaller bladder capacity than men.

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Banned
6,664 Posts
silly. intjs do not pee.
I better not question the INTJness of her arguments for my own good.

I would imagine that the impetus is 'privacy'. Booooooringgggg. Also, research indicates that middle stalls harbour the most bacteria. [Conquering the 'ewww' factor of the public potty, CNN] A plausible explanation, yes?
Sounds legit... You used the word "impetus".

·
Registered
127 Posts
There is a reason people don't want to use the middle stall, hence, there filthy. But, lets say right handed people like to use the right stall and left handed people like to use the left. People in the middle are probably drunk and want to feel somewhat balanced. Or, the right and left are out of toilet paper. I believe you when you say the women's restroom's are much more dirty. Look at how many women enter restrooms compared to men. Men simple go in and do their business while women go in they might as well be showering. This is probably one of the reasons I have nightmares about public restrooms.
Out of all the personality types, INTJ's are the most intriguing to me. This is why

·
Registered
215 Posts
An interesting read Roman, do you think it shows that most think form > function?

personally I wouldn't care which stall i would use the task at hand is the same and the toilet/stall is merely a tool to achieve it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a reason people don't want to use the middle stall, hence, there filthy. But, lets say right handed people like to use the right stall and left handed people like to use the left. People in the middle are probably drunk and want to feel somewhat balanced. Or, the right and left are out of toilet paper. I believe you when you say the women's restroom's are much more dirty. Look at how many women enter restrooms compared to men. Men simple go in and do their business while women go in they might as well be showering. This is probably one of the reasons I have nightmares about public restrooms.
Out of all the personality types, INTJ's are the most intriguing to me. This is why
Hi Orelli,

I am most appreciative of your contribution, thank you.

I have to give an honourable mention to, "people in the middle are probably drunk..." and "(women) might as well be showering." Also, bathroom-goer's selecting stalls based on their more dominant hand. Interesting notion.

You are not mistaken, the middle stalls are the most bacteria-laden(!!)

P.s. Terribly sorry to hear about your bathroom related nightmares.

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Orelli,

I am most appreciative of your contribution, thank you.

I have to give an honourable mention to, "people in the middle are probably drunk..." and "(women) might as well be showering." Also, bathroom-goer's selecting stalls based on their more dominant hand. Interesting notion.

You are not mistaken, the middle stalls are the most bacteria-laden(!!)

P.s. Terribly sorry to hear about your bathroom related nightmares.

With thanks,
RomanConsul
Here, this is probably a very accurate demonstration why there is so much filth

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
If people avoid the middle stall for privacy or avoiding germs, why did the majority of men choose the middle one when presented with all three?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If people avoid the middle stall for privacy or avoiding germs, why did the majority of men choose the middle one when presented with all three?
Hi Ninjahitsawall,

A very fair question indeed. Perhaps they operate under the assumption that the first, and last, stalls are 'frequented' more often?

To the contrary...results of another study of 35 students (26 female, 9 male) indicated that the last stall was the preferred option. Nine selected the first stall; eleven selected the middle stalls; and twelve selected the last stall.

Most intriguing...yet the findings are inconclusive..

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Maybe there is convenience factor? Like, "this stall is right in front of me". However, that isn't necessarily the layout of a public restroom. Often you walk in and all the stalls are to your left, right, around a corner, etc. Not right in front of you.

I know I have a personal preference in crowds, for instance any room with a bunch of seats, to choose a seat to the right. I don't know if that's common. But if it is, there might be some brain dominance thing going on (like how most people are right-handed)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An interesting read Roman, do you think it shows that most think form > function?

personally I wouldn't care which stall i would use the task at hand is the same and the toilet/stall is merely a tool to achieve it
Hi 0bl1gatory,

Thank you for your contribution, it is most welcome.

I share your sentiment. Mere tools, they are. I only require a wholly-operational toilet and a sprinkle of imagination :)laughing:)

Well stated... form > function for most!

Kind regards,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe there is convenience factor? Like, "this stall is right in front of me". However, that isn't necessarily the layout of a public restroom. Often you walk in and all the stalls are to your left, right, around a corner, etc. Not right in front of you.

I know I have a personal preference in crowds, for instance any room with a bunch of seats, to choose a seat to the right. I don't know if that's common. But if it is, there might be some brain dominance thing going on (like how most people are right-handed)?
Hi Ninjahitsawall,

Convenience would undoubtedly be a deciding factor. I am certain that 'toileteers' set their sights on the very first cubicle (in times of desperation).

Studies have also shown that the first cubicle harbours the least amount of bacteria. Mind you, that's when the layout is linear.... it would be interesting to study cubicle preferences in a large bathroom with a less linear design...

I am left-handed yet I, too, gravitate to the right.. I wonder if we can trace this back to the Paleolithic Era? Hm...

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
You are quite right, I merely observe and study petty human behaviour.

To date, I have not experienced the desire to go to the bathroom, nor do I want to....
redact: we don't pee. we hold occasional pissing matches.

eh, i think it's an inhibition/personal space/privacy thing. an astonishing (to me) number of women on one site i used to hang out on revealed that they do not pee when they're out in public. at all. they just, idk, burst or something. others said there was no way they could pee if anyone else was in the room because Sounds.

the furthest cubicle is the one whose door no-one is going to pass. i think that has something to do with it. data is needed on the influence exerted on these traffic patterns by the presence, absence, and/or width of that vertical gap running the length of each cubicle door.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
redact: we don't pee. we hold occasional pissing matches.

eh, i think it's an inhibition/personal space/privacy thing. an astonishing (to me) number of women on one site i used to hang out on revealed that they do not pee when they're out in public. at all. they just, idk, burst or something. others said there was no way they could pee if anyone else was in the room because Sounds.

the furthest cubicle is the one whose door no-one is going to pass. i think that has something to do with it. data is needed on the influence exerted on these traffic patterns by the presence, absence, and/or width of that vertical gap running the length of each cubicle door.
Hi Lilysocks,

First and foremost, I thank you for your contribution.

Where are these 'pissing matches' being held and why haven't I been invited!? :laughing:

I drain my urine from my left ear...similar to that of trombone. Releases unnecessary pressure and obviates any discomfort. I ought to write an instructional manual.

Here! Here! It would, however, be interesting to create three 'test' bathrooms with three different vertical gap widths to discern how much of an influence this 'gap' has on our decision-making process.

With thanks,
RomanConsul

·
Registered
955 Posts
"the world is my urinal." -buddy of mine 2014ish

i can literally pee anywhere. around anyone. elbow room or not. i think at very best the courtesy level with me is if somebody is wearing sandals id feel a little bad but last i heard sandal wearers were meant to be peed on so. there's that.

now for twos? you completely lost me. i cant fathom setting my rump on a public toilet. and quite frankly i dont recall exactly why. i will say it happened sometime after the military. or during? i dont know. i lock up. can be out for hours and the idea never crosses my mind. someone would have to prank me with a laxative while im out to get that information because i sincerely dont know what id do if i ever had to do some paperwork in a public restroom.

privacy...i dont even know that it'd be a factor. the idea itself clenches these cheeks enough to wait till i get home.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts