Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m mainly focusing on comics Batman here, though anybody who’s seen enough movies or animated shows to feel like they have a decent handle on his character is of course welcome to join.

INTJ: He’s a master planner and an incredible strategist, able to predict his enemy’s movements and reactions in order to defeat them. His contingency plans have contingency plans. He has absolute certainty in his goal - ridding Gotham of crime - and will take whatever steps necessary to implement it. He’s not a great improvisor, preferring to plan for all possible outcomes. His inferior Se comes into play whenever he’s stressed (or more stressed than usual at least), manifesting as reacting in the moment instead of planning ahead and trying to lose himself in adrenaline.

ISTJ: Bruce has a huge emphasis on family and will immediately take on responsibility. He’s stuck in the past, unable to get past his parents death. He follows traditions like clockwork, such as visiting Crime Alley every year, and does everything he can to keep the memory of his parents alive and respected, such as keeping the manor clean and paintings and photographs of them safe. He’s rigid and routinized, and has no interest in theory and abstract concepts that would usually attract Ni-doms.

Both types hold high expectations for themselves and other and have an emphasis on objective, logical thinking and facts. Both types are rigid and convinced of their ways. But is he stuck in the past because of dominant Si, or because of a childhood trauma that the consequent mental illnesses refuse to let him move on from? Does he put on the cowl out of a sense of duty or an obsession? Does he take information at face value or attempt to find connections and meaning in it? Can an ISTJ be an obsessive contingency planner and predict outcomes so accurately; can an INTJ be so routinized and uninterested in the abstract?

And for comics readers - do you believe that he’s been written consistently as a single type throughout his whole run?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I haven't read the comics. In the movies he seems INTJ.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
He strikes me as ISTP, especially Christian Bale's Batman.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
ISTJ.

You know this is the face of an ISTJ.

Batmananimated32.jpg

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,511 Posts
He might actually go back and forth between those two types depending on the portrayal. The fact that he's haunted by his parents death and uses a bat as a metaphorical representation of justice can literally be interpreted as Dominant Si and Ni.

I'm more inclined to lean towards ISTJ because a masked vigilante who beats people up seems very unlikely for an Inferior Se. But then one could argue that Dominant Si would also be way too uneasy doing this as well. So he's essentially ISTP when he's in Batman mode.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm in the INTJ camp. He's skilled at sliding a chain of events forwards and backwards in his mind and extrapolating from small amounts of information, and has a very obvious preference for Fi over Fe (and thus Te over Ti). He outsources all of the Si he's bad at to Alfred, an ISFJ.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
ISTJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts