Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new possible theory on Batman’s MBTI... ISTP. Here are some reasons....

His Ti is unbelievable, which is obvious. Between his analysis on crime scenes, or of people’s actions. Or his analyzing of Justice League members to find their physical & psychological weaknesses, to use in case they ever turned evil. His INTJ-ness with his planning beforehand, can be Ti over Se because he’s thinking of his actions before he takes action, which is the most logical way to do it. Ti users like to be efficient, just like Te users.

His Se shows he’s observant & aware of his surroundings. He possibly feels physical sensations as he beats the hell out of these criminals. Plus he has to have this function developed for his observing details of crime scenes. These possible sensations can explain why no matter what, he’s never been able to let go of being Batman. He escapes into the possible thrills & action of being Batman & distracts him from feeling the emotional pain he has repressed over the years. This next point is debatable but, look at his experiences. A criminal shot his parents right in front of him as a child. Plus his experiences of his parents showing him values of helping the weak & the troubled. His father was a great philanthropist & Bruce has memories of this. But he also saw his father try peace & was killed for it. So, he sees it doesn’t work, from his experience. So the method of fear can be just being practical. He sees fear works & peace doesn’t.

His Ni is seen obviously as well. With how he does anticipates things & that he plans for the possibility for Justice League turning evil. Plus his understanding of an abstract idea, like psychology is Ni as well, which falls in with the symbolism of using the bat, showing he isn’t afraid. He doesn’t feel fear, he is fear.

Fe is weak. He doesn’t feel attached to people unless he’s been around them for years. Look at the very few he cares for. His parents, Alfred, his sidekicks (Who have been around him for years). He doesn’t try to feel like one of the Justice League. He’s there to solve problems but he doesn’t bond to any of the members. He breaches their trust when they learn of his plans in case they turn evil. He doesn’t care that the trust is damaged. In fact, he stood by his actions & said if they can’t understand the potential for an out of control Justice League then he doesn’t belong there.

Again, just a possible theory. What do you think?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I used to think he was an ISTP, too, but the more I read, the more convinced I am with ISTJ. I was reading Batman: Year Three today, and the stench of Fi was whelming. He was scared to take Dick on as a partner again after Jason's death -- not purely because he was afraid of losing Dick, too, but also because he was afraid of the person he'd become should death befall Dick. It wasn't about Dick dying necessarily so much as it was about how Dick's death would change Bruce if you catch my drift. And a lot of his detective style is that Poirot-ish Si-style, sweeping up any little detail and fact-checking it against his vast yet esoteric knowledge.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Pretty sure it's INFJ.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've always thought ISTP (INFJ isn't IMPOSSIBLE, but c'mon).

I used to think he was an ISTP, too, but the more I read, the more convinced I am with ISTJ. I was reading Batman: Year Three today, and the stench of Fi was whelming. He was scared to take Dick on as a partner again after Jason's death -- not purely because he was afraid of losing Dick, too, but also because he was afraid of the person he'd become should death befall Dick. It wasn't about Dick dying necessarily so much as it was about how Dick's death would change Bruce if you catch my drift. And a lot of his detective style is that Poirot-ish Si-style, sweeping up any little detail and fact-checking it against his vast yet esoteric knowledge.
..and then I read this and realized I was thinking about it all wrong.

I think you are right. He is an Expert, investigator in a procedural sense, values precision and perfection of form, vivid recollection of the past that he is stuck in, also, the first costumed crusader in real life that I know of - Phoenix Jones - is almost certainly an xSTJ.

The guy with the motive and the cognition to orient themselves around the incredible investment of time and mental power... is an STJ.

The imaginative and nerdy show is to invoke authority. The goal is order and justice. The approach is no-nonsense.

Also, Batman is really a reflection of the Jean Valjean / Javert (Les Mis) dichotomy, the wealthy man with everything together, and his philanthropy, and the obsessive investigator who can't let go. Both Valjean and Javert are ISTJs.

I like it. I am on board.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I've always thought ISTP (INFJ isn't IMPOSSIBLE, but c'mon).

..and then I read this and realized I was thinking about it all wrong.

I think you are right. He is an Expert, investigator in a procedural sense, values precision and perfection of form, vivid recollection of the past that he is stuck in, also, the first costumed crusader in real life that I know of - Phoenix Jones - is almost certainly an xSTJ.

The guy with the motive and the cognition to orient themselves around the incredible investment of time and mental power... is an STJ.

The imaginative and nerdy show is to invoke authority. The goal is order and justice. The approach is no-nonsense.

Also, Batman is really a reflection of the Jean Valjean / Javert (Les Mis) dichotomy, the wealthy man with everything together, and his philanthropy, and the obsessive investigator who can't let go. Both Valjean and Javert are ISTJs.

I like it. I am on board.
Never was a fan of Batman except that I have always been very sure that he doesn't fit the INTJ persona, part because I could never relate to him. Even Spider-man is if so, more likely to be an INTJ. At least he got the whole NT stereotype floating around being a bio student and all, along with what to me at least, appears to be something akin to Se cookyness when he taunts his villains.

So I suppose the reason of this post is that I kind of see what is being said? I have no real opinion except I always thought Nolan's Batman series is waaaaaay overrated and that dude's not an INTJ, anyway, at least when you can hear wtf he's actually saying.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
It really depends on which movie you're typing him on. George Clooney's Batman in Batman and Robin was ESTJ. Val Kilmer's Batman in Batman Forever was ISTJ. Michael Keaton's Batman was INTJ. Christian Bale's Batman is INFJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I have watched only Christian Bales's Batman, Kingpin notifications on each Batman, justifies why I love Christian Bales's, because it matches my own personal Type. Thanks Kingpin. :proud:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Christian Bale's Batman has a constant inner conflict about what is right based on rules and society, and about what is right based on literal concrete truth. The vigilante hero vs. the Legal and fair lawyer that is Harvey Dent.

Bruce Wayne, while mechanical and rational also has a strong impulsive streak. He wanted to shoot a man with a gun in Batman begins in order to exact revenge.

First, is Bruce Wayne a thinker or a feeler? In truth he is governed by a strong sense of duty to the people that comes from his own empathy towards the people of Gotham. He doesn't want anyone to have to experience the trauma that he went through. And he is convinced that by fighting crime he can prevent this. However, if you watch him interact with other people there is almost no emotion. There is no gain in energy. People are only his focus from an abstract whole. In my opinion this is very introverted behavior. His feeling function isn't first. He is indeed a logical person, however. But his emotional impulses are clear. Look at how he reacts to Alfred Pennyworth withholding the letter from him. Look at his impulse to kill a man for revenge. He has his own view of the world and isn't afraid to act out under those parameters.

INFJ. He even takes the stereotypical prophet-like journey into the middle of nowhere to become enlightened and transform.

·
Registered
975 Posts
People calling Batman INFJ... lmao

The most recent Batman is INTJ. He is definitely not an E, F or P.

Reactions: Trenchary

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The only version of Batman I've watched enough to get a good type grip on is the 1960's series. Batman seems totally ISTJ there. In fact, it's Robin who seems far more IxTP in that incarnation.

·
Registered
372 Posts
People calling Batman INFJ... lmao

The most recent Batman is INTJ. He is definitely not an E, F or P.
INFJ interaction style: Source Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type

Foreseer Developer

Personal growth. Sustain the vision. Honoring the gifts of others. Taking a creative approach to life. Talent for foreseeing. Exploring issues. Bridge differences and connect people. Practical problem solving. Live with a sense of purpose. Living an idealistic life often presents them with a great deal of stress and a need to withdraw.

INTJ interaction style:

Conceptualizer Director

Maximizing achievements. Drive for self-mastery. Build a vision. Very long-range strategizing. Realizing progress toward goals. Systems thinking. Talent for seeing the reasons behind things. Being on the leading edge. Maintaining independence. Find it difficult to let go in interacting with others.

I guess, based on these interaction styles it could go both ways. Cognitively, I don't see Te anywhere.

·
Registered
975 Posts
@Megakill Where do you see Fe at all?
@piscesfish I'm not sure about that show, but Dick Grayson is an ESTP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Batman an Fe user?!? ISTJ or INTJ, depending on the writer.

-ISTJ Batman.
This version is obsessed with the death of his parents. His entire life is defined by that one point, everything that has or will happen to him is filtered through that memory. It constantly comes back to him. He's haunted by it. Trapped by the memory that he is stuck reliving. He becomes batman to try to reconcile the emotional damage that was done to him. He is unrelenting. Every criminal he fights is, to him, the same exact criminal as the one that took his parents from him. He sees no difference.

-INTJ Batman.
The difference here is very subtle, but when examined, is actually pretty significant. You see, while witnessing his parents murder affected him just as much as it would anyone, it also revealed to him a great truth about the world. That night, Bruce discovered the existence of evil. It wasn't just that his parents were murdered, it's that they lived in a world where even Thomas Wayne, one of the most powerful men in the world, can get shot in a back alley. Bruce became obsessed with injustice. Absolutely obsessed. Early in his life, he was overwhelmed by it. He didn't know what to do, but as he grew, he developed a plan of action, a way to fight injustice. This batman understands that it's not just about him. "Anyone can be batman"

Do you see the difference? ISTJ Batman is Vengeance-oriented. He wants to right the personal wrong he suffered. INTJ Batman, on the other hand, is Justice-oriented. It's not just about his parents, but everyone's parents. He is fighting an idea, which is why the best stories with him and the joker (consistent ENTP) are so incredible, because it's a clash of idealism. Chaos (Ne-Ti) vs Order (Ni-Te)

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Batman an Fe user?!? ISTJ or INTJ, depending on the writer.

-ISTJ Batman.
This version is obsessed with the death of his parents. His entire life is defined by that one point, everything that has or will happen to him is filtered through that memory. It constantly comes back to him. He's haunted by it. Trapped by the memory that he is stuck reliving. He becomes batman to try to reconcile the emotional damage that was done to him. He is unrelenting. Every criminal he fights is, to him, the same exact criminal as the one that took his parents from him. He sees no difference.

-INTJ Batman.
The difference here is very subtle, but when examined, is actually pretty significant. You see, while witnessing his parents murder affected him just as much as it would anyone, it also revealed to him a great truth about the world. That night, Bruce discovered the existence of evil. It wasn't just that his parents were murdered, it's that they lived in a world where even Thomas Wayne, one of the most powerful men in the world, can get shot in a back alley. Bruce became obsessed with injustice. Absolutely obsessed. Early in his life, he was overwhelmed by it. He didn't know what to do, but as he grew, he developed a plan of action, a way to fight injustice. This batman understands that it's not just about him. "Anyone can be batman"

Do you see the difference? ISTJ Batman is Vengeance-oriented. He wants to right the personal wrong he suffered. INTJ Batman, on the other hand, is Justice-oriented. It's not just about his parents, but everyone's parents. He is fighting an idea, which is why the best stories with him and the joker (consistent ENTP) are so incredible, because it's a clash of idealism. Chaos (Ne-Ti) vs Order (Ni-Te)

My 2 cents.
Hey maybe you're right. Maybe he is Te > Fe. It's not that apparent either way. I just tend to latch onto the stereotype of the INTJ being plagued by narcissism. At least in the movie he seems to lack any of the INTJ typical weaknesses or flaws.

·
Banned
2,715 Posts
In some depictions, like the animation, it seems as though his job is more or less formalised, and he doesn't really get far too absorbed into his Batman persona. The Burton version gives me an INFP vibe... Granted, a messed up INFP; he's a fuckin loony. He puts on the mask, becomes an embodiment of his childhood trauma, and he flies straight into a wonderland of his sense of justice. He's a troubled child in a land of make believe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey maybe you're right. Maybe he is Te > Fe. It's not that apparent either way. I just tend to latch onto the stereotype of the INTJ being plagued by narcissism. At least in the movie he seems to lack any of the INTJ typical weaknesses or flaws.
He kind of is. Vigilantism is kind of narcissistic in nature. And movie batman is usually of the ISTJ variety. I mean, what Ni dominant isn't going to figure out that Miranda Tate is totally a villain. I mean, I was groaning over how obvious it was. C'mon Bruce. Really.

Reactions: Thomas329
1 - 20 of 58 Posts