Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It recently occurred to me that there are certain pairs of members who repeatedly engage in heated disagreements in just about every thread that comes up. Here is my proposed solution for such opposed pairs:

Battle it out here, where you can argue as freely as you please without having to worry about derailing threads. All of your arguments will be visible, to prevent dishonesty. You may argue about anything you please as long as you do it here.

Here are the rules (subject to change as I think of new ones):

1) Once a pair of competitors has been established, that pair may receive no outside help from other participants.

2) A person who has been challenged to a duel may decline without counting that decision as a defeat by the opponent.

3) The battle ends when one of the participants admits defeat or forfeits. The battle may also be ended by both participants agreeing on a compromise, reaching a mutually satisfactory understanding, or agreeing to disagree permanently without further conflict. If one of the participants fails to respond to the opponent within a week of the last post without a resolution having been achieved, that participant is disqualified from the battle, but may re-challenge the same opponent as many times as necessary, even on the same topic, until a resolution is reached.

4) Opponents may use internet sources or other sources (books, videos, scientific documents) to support an argument, but must provide either a link verifying the information or some kind of details that will allow the opponent to verify the source.

5) Pick any topic: transhumanism, gay marriage, vegetarianism, abortion, feminism, religion, politics, whether the moon is made of green cheese, or whatever it is you want to fight about. No topic is off limits, but the topic must be stated when the opponent is initially challenged to the duel.

Here is an example of how to state the challenge: "Snail challenges Lance to a battle on Vegetarianism" Then you can give an opening statement about why you want the challenge.
(This is just an example, not an actual challenge, in case Lance is reading this!)

...so, who will it be? Step right up and be the first to bring your battle to my arena! I can think of at least three different pairs of opponents who would benefit, right off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are plenty I haven't even considered. Come to the arena and challenge your rival.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Seems like a good idea but it is still a debate right?

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, you can move it to the debate forum, Lance. My bad. It might allow individuals to get to the core of their repeating personal conflicts, though, without outside interruption.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It is a really great idea, snail, but I really don't think arguments that get personal should be in this forum at all. If they should go anywhere, they should be in private messages, not in a public area that also adds gold / post count for making personal attacks. Exposing arguments to the public to prevent dishonesty is a good idea too, but I think it will only rile up other observers.
I apologize if I'm completely missing the point of this thread [and if I am, I'll delete this post], I just don't think it would solve any of the deeper issue (debates getting too personal).

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, personal attacks are against the forum rules, in general, but personal debates aren't. When I see the same sets of people repeatedly butting heads in the other threads, it makes me want to avoid those threads. If they did it here, it wouldn't be as disruptive.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The butting of heads also makes me want to avoid those threads, and I am not trying to undermine this idea, I'm just trying to say that anything that gets too personal shouldn't be allowed, period. May I ask though, what's the difference between a personal attack and a personal debate? The level of "civility" in the arguments?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
JoeMetallic challenges Snail to a battle.

On the grounds that you are too sexy :wink:

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snail accepts the challenge.

What exactly are we debating? My presumed "sexiness?" This should be over in about two posts.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Snail accepts the challenge.

What exactly are we debating? My presumed "sexiness?" This should be over in about two posts.
Your obvious sexiness, of course. What are you saying, that I'm a "two-pump-chump?"

hee hee

>_>
<_<

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If I said that, it would be a personal attack. I am merely saying that I posted photos of myself in other threads, and those should serve as evidence against your argument.
Nice style, Snail. I would like to reference these exact photos of yours for my argument. I have two words for you, and both are, "hubba."

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I were on your side of the battle, I would start mentioning something about aesthetics being subjective, or better yet, sexiness not necessarily relying on physical characteristics. Since I am not arguing your side for you, I will instead say that your argument lacks substance without clearly defined terms. The photo I linked to does not fall into my personal definition of sexiness.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I intended this battle for fun and some interaction, not to be a disagreeable discussion. What prompted me to start was the suggestive banter that you and I have had on a couple of occasions.

If I forfeit this discussion, I feel I will be making a personal attack, and that is something I won't do.

:happy:

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. Compliment taken. Conflict resolved. :tongue:

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JoeMetallic won on a technicality, having probably planned from the start to use the rule prohibiting personal attacks to gain the upper hand. Congratulations on the cleverly executed duel.
(That was kind of amusing, actually.)

Who wants to go next?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I totally support this thread on the grounds that I am a total voyeur and am interested in fictional and nonfictional disputes. The guilty pleasure of a poor debater. :blushed:
Although, personally, every time I've had a disagreement with someone I've gotten over it pretty quickly. I can't possibly think of having a death match with any of them now.
Unless it's a pet deathmatch.
P.S. NO LIAM. I HATE YOUR FROG.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
JoeMetallic won on a technicality, having probably planned from the start to use the rule prohibiting personal attacks to gain the upper hand. Congratulations on the cleverly executed duel.
(That was kind of amusing, actually.)

Who wants to go next?
A pleasure, Snail. :cool:

Tell me, my dear, regarding the picture of yourself to which you linked; what was the occasion for your elaborate dress?

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was a family Christmas party, but I would feel comfortable wearing that sort of thing all the time. It's very "me." People think I dress too formally, because I mostly wear long dresses. I pretty much only wear skirts and blouses when I am being casual.

So, nobody feels like a battle today?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I totally support this thread on the grounds that I am a total voyeur and am interested in fictional and nonfictional disputes. The guilty pleasure of a poor debater. :blushed:
Although, personally, every time I've had a disagreement with someone I've gotten over it pretty quickly. I can't possibly think of having a death match with any of them now.
Unless it's a pet deathmatch.
P.S. NO LIAM. I HATE YOUR FROG.

EDIT: Guess what I just changed my pets name to "Michigan J. Frog", and he loves your cute little teddy bear.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Beloved.

I offered you the chance to challange me to a duel here if you felt I was attacking you.

you declined and basically stated that I was attacking you yet again. You derailed a thread by posting contrary to the threads purpose which was a debate thread and then accuse me of derailing the thread. I will agree that two of my posts were not at the purpose of the thread but I am willing to show that you had a greater hand at derailing the thread than I did.

I'll understand if you do not accept my challenge but if you don't I expect the misrepresentation of me to end

1 - 20 of 43 Posts