Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does this mean to you?

(generalisations, stereotypes, and sense of humour welcome)

Reactions: Catfish

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
It means putting in twice as much effort in many cases, just to be treated equally. It means having to look good -while- being good at what I'm doing, to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I bet you're sick of hearing stupid jokes about women making sandwiches, aren't you? I know I am. Not to mention those idiotic Facebook groups where they think being misogynistic is ironic.
Yes.

I was going to say something witty, but I broke a nail and got pregnant on my way in.
:laughing:

This entire thing screams, "STEREOTYPICAL." Apparently, women are all about calorie-counting, bikinis, and finding the perfect man. OH NO, not the hairdresser! :crying: :dry: It's silly how the whole series is a ploy to get women to buy low-calorie snacks. :frustrating:

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Yes.

:laughing:

YouTube - Only in A Woman's World Series Premiere

This entire thing screams, "STEREOTYPICAL." Apparently, women are all about calorie-counting, bikinis, and finding the perfect man. OH NO, not the hairdresser! :crying: :dry: It's silly how the whole series is a ploy to get women to buy low-calorie snacks. :frustrating:
Anyone fancy joining me?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YouTube - Only in A Woman's World Series Premiere

i thought it was funny, silly yes but funny too, and lots of women will be able to relate to at least some of it, even if they wont admit to it, or at least they have seen other women act in those ways,

(btw skycloud, i mean moss, this clip is another example of stereotypical humour :tongue: and shouldnt be taken literally)

·
Registered
26,829 Posts
i thought it was funny, silly yes but funny too, and lots of women will be able to relate to at least some of it, even if they wont admit to it, or at least they have seen other women act in those ways,

(btw skycloud, i mean moss, this clip is another example of stereotypical humour :tongue: and shouldnt be taken literally)
I don't think she found it particularly funny either. It shows women as weak, vain and shallow, which is what society and the media like to see women as.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Haha. It was funny, but part of me wants to shake her head because it's just kind of like... REALLY? You think this is a good marketing idea? Crying over men and attracting hot guys and being guilty of overspending on your husband's credit card is completely irrelevant to buying chips and does it in a dodgy way.

If anything, being a woman is the opposite of self-loathing comments about your body or finding hot guys or finding the Ben and Jerry's and calling the support group-- it's about loving your body, being able to take responsibility for yourself and those you care about, and following the golden rule and the reverse-golden rule. It's all about respect.

Sam Levenson said it best:

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day. For poise, walk with the knowledge you'll never walk alone.

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anybody.

Remember, If you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with passing years only grows!
Yes, this goes for the thinker ladies, too! You don't have to cry when you're overjoyed or hug everyone in sight-- it's about showing the little things that matter and aren't really THINGS and using your strengths to leave the world a little better.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
People hold on to gender stereotypes because they are afraid of having to deal with individuals as individuals. The fear and laziness makes them hold onto such ignorance, and it in turn perpetuates the stereotypes because its easier for people to move with the current than against it. Its mostly bothersome to me when someone who is ignorant and lazy wants to pull in those who actually do have that intellectual spark that makes them refuse to accept epidemics of idiocy. Its like watching someone who isn't even competent enough to be a puppet master, try to make a puppet of a living, sentient being. Hands off!

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Someone who says that phrase is usually explaining how my failure to live up to gender norms makes me inadequate.

I do not tend to respond with tact.

I am a woman. Already. This is not a process that requires any effort on my part.

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
This song dates back to 1972,

(Helen Reddy and Ray Burton)
I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'Cause I've heard it all before
And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long, long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think she found it particularly funny either. It shows women as weak, vain and shallow, which is what society and the media like to see women as.
'she', i think you mean Finite, says she did find it funny....actually...and is more than capable (being a woman) of telling us herself

*giggles a bit and smiles shyly*

Reactions: soya

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Someone who says that phrase is usually explaining how my failure to live up to gender norms makes me inadequate.I do not tend to respond with tact.
i can only imagine :cool:

I am a woman. Already. This is not a process that requires any effort on my part.
excellently put!

Reactions: lirulin
1 - 20 of 109 Posts