Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
3,624 Posts
Always smile shyly and giggle a bit when sharing your opinions - wouldn't want to come off as too certain or serious, lest we scare away all our potential future husbands...
Lols, this is so true.

Stereotypical woman;

complains alot, is whiny and makes her husband take care of all the practical matters. (
"Don't complain about any gender inequity, because we apparently live in a feminised culture, and any woman who attests to there existing gender inequity in this society, is just complaining" in fact any woman who cries foul over her own rights is complaining).

Woman can't drive. They also let stray bits of hair land in sandwiches. (To that I say; fuck you, cut your own damn crust off :laughing:).

Woman should put out, but not be a slut at the same time.

A "good woman" defers important matters to other people who are more competent.

The stereotypical woman loves to shop, and will only date someone who is rich and can therefore look after her. Bling bling, a nice car, and the colour pink make her excited.

A woman should not question the authority of decision making. If she does, she threatens the authorities' power, and should therefore accept defeat when she is pushed and challenged to back off.

A woman should be above all else oozing sexiness.

Is fragile and wants to be protected (Novas commentary: 'back off, rite').

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It means putting in twice as much effort in many cases, just to be treated equally. It means having to look good -while- being good at what I'm doing, to be taken seriously.
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult." ~Charlotte Whitton

·
Registered
801 Posts
I know this will sound very general but I'm going to say it anyway. I think "being a woman" or "being a man" is about embracing all that you are as a person. Accepting yourself for all that you are and all that you are not. Anything else would simply be stereotypical mumbo jumbo and it's all relative. Most people's definitions are subject to the role models they grew up knowing or by what society as a whole pursuades them to believe.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Man: "Give me sex whenever and however i want it. Give me as many children as i desire. Just be the best House slave, you hear me"!?

Woman: " yes dear, no matter how low you think of me, I'll be as loyal as i can in satisfying your ego, my dear.

Silently she's thinking: don't forget to buy the ring you promised- i hope."

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I don't really pay attention to gender stereotypes, so I would say that 'being a woman' would mean the same thing as 'being a man'. I would say that it means looking at situations from a global perspective or thinking about how the things you do could effect your future and perhaps making choices based on that...

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Um, I have no clue. I feel the most connected to femininity when I am romantically attached to someone very feminine. But I very rarely feel particularly womanly.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Sacrificing personal identity for the fulfillment of the feminine/maternal cause. That is to say, above all, be nurturing and submissive. Be a healer not a fighter and if you have no choice but to fight and behave dominantly it should only be to preserve the family unit.

Reactions: Maiden

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
we laugh, but....

haha this thread makes me think of this:
YouTube - Femininity - Summer Magic 1963
I don't agree with it. But it's what I thought of. :tongue:

what it was to be a woman in the uk until 1870:
English law defined the role of the wife as a ‘feme covert’, emphasizing her subordination to her husband, and putting her under the ‘protection and influence of her husband, her baron, or lord’ .... a feme covert had no legal rights of her own, and her existence legally was was incorporated into that of her husband, so that she had very few recognized individual rights of her own.

not until the married women's property act of 1870 and 1882 were the wages and earning made by a wife made from any employment, or skill such as writing or art, or from any investments she made could be held by her for her own separate use instead of automatically being the property of her husband.. she could also own shares in her own name now and make her own will....very importantly for many unhappily married women this act also essentially now gave them the ability to live away from their husbands and independently support their own children, whereas previously if a woman wanted to escape an unhappy marriage she had no choice but to leave her children with her husband or his family.

women however still did not have the right to vote in the UK, only after arrests, imprisonment, rioting, hunger strikes and death did this change, when in 1918 the representation of the people act gave propertied married women only the right to vote, and finally in 1928 the vote was extended to all women over 21

this clip always makes me laugh :

YouTube - Harry Enfield - Women know your limits

remember, 'women know your limits; in thought be plain and simple and let your natural sweetness shine through....'

we find this entertaining now, but this is actually how women were seen until really recently; it was questioned by so few, and many people, especially many younger people forget or were never aware of how girls and women were raised and viewed by society until relatively recently; even once women had the vote, a story in itself, women were not viewed as being studious and therefore even a grammar school education, much less a university degree was deemed a waste, more useful, if money were to spent on their education to train them to be secretaries, or nurses or to teach them cooking music or floristry......

women alive today are even now still escaping from the stereotypes of previous generations which still live on in the memories of people living

even until the 1960s sex discrimination laws it was common across many industries for employers to force women to give up their jobs once they got married; it was assumed that her husband would keep her and she would look after the home;it was difficult for a woman to get a mortgage or even buy something on hire purchase without a man’s guarantee.

YouTube - Funny sexist clip from 1956

sex discrimination act 1975, six years after i was born, meant i was brought up in a world where women where expectations of women were different, women were raised, educated and treated differently, and until my teens i wasnt even aware of this....it just surrounded me all the time and seeped into my unconsciousness whilst i slept

so to be a woman for me now, today, means to have been raised as a girl in a world that was very different than it is now, by people such as my parents, teachers and grandparents who were themselves raised in a world that was hugely different once again.

Reactions: Catfish

·
Registered
765 Posts
It means putting up with a hell of a lot of shit, in my experience. On the plus side, it also has a lot of positive connotations for me, such as being very strong for other people's sakes. This idea was, for me, largely borne out by my experience in Africa where I saw women make sacrifices to better the lives of, say, their children on a level which men really did not. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
what it was to be a woman in the uk until 1870:
English law defined the role of the wife as a ‘feme covert’, emphasizing her subordination to her husband, and putting her under the ‘protection and influence of her husband, her baron, or lord’ .... a feme covert had no legal rights of her own, and her existence legally was was incorporated into that of her husband, so that she had very few recognized individual rights of her own.

not until the married women's property act of 1870 and 1882 were the wages and earning made by a wife made from any employment, or skill such as writing or art, or from any investments she made could be held by her for her own separate use instead of automatically being the property of her husband.. [/SIZE]

If you look at preVictorian era materials, there was certainly a great mixture of type of property divisions and ownership among married couples. Some obvious examples are in sources like Jane Austen, but there is a large body of work that traces the beginning of the systematic financial subjugation of women with the rise of Industrialism and the passage of specific laws in the 19th century.

If you look into materials on Victorian marriage and divorce law, it's much more complicated and class-dependent than you make it out. So, it's interesting that we have been educated to see the history of women's rights in this way.

·
Banned
24 Posts
when it is used in media, it means "be attractive.

i had a hell of a time trying to find an advertisement that uses this phrase, even though it seems like it's common. i did find an article on slate that uses a variant of it:

"Some things can't ever be cheap and money just has to be allowed for them. This category includes perfume. A drop of Shalimar or Comme des Garçons No 1 behind each ear and I could saunter down the Avenue Montaigne in what I wear to clean up cat vomit and still feel like a woman of the world. And shoes - yes, you do need to hand over the plastic for boots and footwear though there are ways of cutting cost. Shelleys is a wonder and TK Maxx can come up with surprises. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2004/jul/23/shopping.fashion

·
Registered
401 Posts
A blessing way too many feel is in disguise.

·
Registered
26,829 Posts
40 Funny Reasons Why It's Wonderful To Be A Woman

1. When a ship sinks, women (and children) get off first.
Outdated.

2. A woman can hug her best friend without worrying she'll think she's gay.
It's funny that society and other men police males to fit into a narrow definition of masculinity?

3. Women can talk to attractive members of the opposite sex without having to picture them naked.
Huge generalisation.

4. A woman can never be blamed if it's wet on the floor around the toilet bowl.
No adult should be getting the floor around the toilet wet, and any men who does and doesn't clean up when he is able to after himself is childish.

5. If a woman cheats on her spouse everyone will assume it's because she was being emotionally neglected.
Why? This is an outdated stereotype that women are somehow weaker or less responsible for their actions. Why couldn't she just cheat for the same reasons a man might do, and why can't a man cheat because he was being emotionally neglected?

6. Women are capable of doing at least two different things to a passable standard at the same time.
Wrong. Multi-tasking is actually inefficient and is not something only women are capable of.

7. Women live longer than men.
There are many reasons why women generally live longer than men in most Western countries, none of them funny.

8. Women know how to cover up spots and other facial blemishes.
So do men. I don't see how this is funny or wonderful.

9. If a woman inexplicably disappears for two weeks, one of her friends will notice.
The same would happen for a man.

10. Women mature earlier than men (some men never mature at all).
Generally, yes, and I have to agree on the point made in the parenthesis, although some women never mature at all as well.

11. There are times when chocolate is really the answer to all woman's problems.
How, exactly? Dark chocolate in moderation can be good for everyone, but chocolate itself as an answer to all women's problems? That's just stupid.

12. Women don't feel uncomfortable with gay waiters or hairdressers.
What if they are lesbian? You can find homophobic women just as often as you can find homophobic men, and you can find men comfortable with gay men just as much as you can find women comfortable with gay women.

13. A woman can fully assess a person just by looking at their shoes.
No, she can't, what a load of stereotypical rubbish.

14. Women know the truth about whether size matters...
The size of what? Also, this is another generalisation.

15. A woman can take a drive without trying to beat her best time.
Again, another generalisation, not to mention that I've never heard of anyone - male or female - who tried to bear their "best time" whilst driving. Except for race car drivers etc.

16. If a woman forgets to shave, no-one has to know.
So? Shaving is up to the individual, and should not be the concern of anyone else.

17. Women are capable of going longer than five minutes without thinking about either sex or football.
So are men. Any idiotic "theory" that men think about sex and sports every few seconds/minutes is based on stereotypes. Many men do not think about sex or sports any more or less than many women do.

18. Women never lust after a cartoon character or the central figure in a computer game.
Some do, and many men do not.

19. Women can be groupies. Male groupies are stalkers.
Why, because they're male? Women can be stalkers too.

20. Women can cry and get off a speeding ticket.
Outdated stereotype that suggests women are weaker than men.

21. A woman can get a whole new lease on life just by changing her lipstick.
This is just stupid.

22. A woman can congratulate her team-mate without ever touching her rear.
So can a man.

23. Women don't have to worry about catching anything important in their zipper.
You find groin injuries funny? Childish people who find things like men getting their penis caught in a zipper are pathetic.

24. If a woman says something stupid, most men will just think she's cute.
Society forces women to play down their intelligence, so this is not funny at all.

25. Women can admit to others when they've made a mistake
Generalisation - men and women are both capable of this.

26. If a woman cries, she's sensitive; if a man cries, he's a wimp.
This is not funny nor wonderful, but a product of social conditioning.

27. Women know who their children are without having a DNA test.
Well, that should be obvious. Also, most fathers are the biological fathers.

28. It's cool to be a daddy's girl. It's sad to be a mummy's boy.
Again, this is caused by social conditioning.

29. Women can wear platforms - which is why there is no such thing as a short woman's complex.
No, there's no such thing as a short woman's complex because many women prefer to be shorter. Also, high heeled shoes were originally worn by men.

30. Women can watch one TV channel at a time without getting bored.
Generalisation, so can men and there's probably many women who cannot.

31. Women have total control over their eyebrows.
So do men.

32. Women can get drunk quicker and cheaper than men.
Yes, because they tend to be smaller.

33. A woman's friend won't try to persuade her to get a tattoo while she's drunk.
Generalisation - there's probably many who would.

34. A woman won't drive to Hell and back before she asks for directions.
Stereotypical generalisation - many men will also ask for directions and many women will not.

35. Women aren't covered with hair like shag carpeting.
Not all men are hairy, and not all women are hairless. Not to mention many men shave off some or all of their body hair.

36. Woman don't feel threatened if their partner earns more than they do.
Many men don't either, it's just the insecure few who feel threatened by that. Besides, men earn far more than women generally.

37. For women, a new season means a whole new wardrobe.
Generalisation - not all women are interested in fashion, and not all men are uninterested in fashion.

38. Women know exactly what buttons to push to get exactly what they want.
Generalisation - this could apply to anyone regardless of sex.

39. Women don't think reading the manual is a betrayal of all their species stands for.
Another stereotypical generalisation.

40. Women can keep pot plants alive for more than a week.
Generalisation. Also, has the person who wrote this never heard of allotments or greenhouses? Visit one and see how many men are there keeping plants alive.

Most of those are either unfunny, stereotypical, out of date or generalisations. Also, why is it "funny" that women live longer than men?

I truly think being a woman means to be herself, not to drown in the mould that society wants her to be in.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
*hopes my post doesn't also get ripped to shreds by the ever highly opinionated, over correcting, policing skycloud... *cough*....

Not brushing my hair and not giving a fuck what anyone has to say about it...

Wearing pants like I fucking own the place...

Swearing where and whenever I god damn fucking wanna...........

refusing to clean up a mess I didn't fucking make...

reverse parking my car with a fucking blind fold on, getting out and flipping the bird at anyone that was watching...

wrapping a pool cue around someone head for moving any of the balls on the table, without warning....

being equally if not better in every possible way than any man that comes my way.. especially skycloud....

taking up as much space as possible on the sofa to stop anyone else sitting next to me.......

telling you to wash your own stinky clothes because I'm not your slave and you're old enough and ugly enough to do it yourself...

opening my own damn door when I approach a building....

seriously I could go on forever..... but I won't ...you get the idea..........

21 - 40 of 109 Posts