Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hear me out please, I know this sounds self centred but I really want to know.

I actually used to post a lot on this other personality type forum, and when I do, I don't include my avatar (picture of myself) and I don't put the username 'izzie.' It seems on that forum although I've made a few friends, I seem to get critically judged a lot for some of the things I say.

But on forums (one example, personalitycafe) when I show my photo (avatar) like this one, a lot of people just seem to warm up to me easily.

What the heck *suspicious* O_O

·
Registered
615 Posts
? Do you hang out with other INFPs?
Most people hate me, lol. But I feel safe in "my" little section of the internet.
The infp corner. XP
And I don't know, PerC is just a great forums in my opinion.
But yes, the avi is always going to bias somebody out there.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah it makes sense because people who post on the internet don't always include a photo of themselves. When they do, they connect with people on a more personal level because they now know what that person really looks like. So when you don't have a picture of yourself, it's easier for people to post harsh criticism because its over the internet and much more disconnected and impersonal. When you know what that person looks like, the relationship becomes more personal, thus people might hold back a little on the criticism (like they would in real life, face to face). I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's just my analysis.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
INFP forum is a phenomenon that has no precedence in the history of history.

but to answer your question, I could care less about your picture (not that I don't like it, i think you are lovely). I only care about your thoughts and opinions, hence my lame avatar hahaha.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah it makes sense because people who post on the internet don't always include a photo of themselves. When they do, they connect with people on a more personal level because they now know what that person really looks like. So when you don't have a picture of yourself, it's easier for people to post harsh criticism because its over the internet and much more disconnected and impersonal. When you know what that person looks like, the relationship becomes more personal, thus people might hold back a little on the criticism (like they would in real life, face to face). I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's just my analysis.
That's how I think it works, too.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think a person seems more genuine if they have a photo easily identified with what they look like in real life, especially when paired with a username that can be interpreted as a real name. I think people are distrustful and tend to be harsher when the "anonymous" approach is taken. Like with my avy and username. :crazy:

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I think when you see a picture of the person it kind of makes you feel like you have some kind of connection with them.

Reactions: Roze and refugee

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think when you see a picture of the person it kind of makes you feel like you have some kind of connection with them.
I agree with the above quote. When you see someone type out thier emotions, their feelings, and they have a pic of themselves, it's like you can actually picture what they're feeling better. Its hard to explain for some reason .____.

Your picture doesn't affect me much, but your personality affects it like 200 times more.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh so when I type about my feelings and experiences, you can visualize taking my picture into account? :crazy: That's nice. I wonder how people visualize me.

Yes, the PerC = friendlies theory make sense too. In here, there's a lot of humor.

There's this other forum which is filled with obnoxious over judgmental pricks.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I picked an avatar based on what I wanted people to percieve me as, other ones considered were Obi Wan and the Chesire Cat and then I watched Neverending Story again and I was like FALCOR , HELL YEAH! He's just got a friendly face.

Izzie if you are worried, do what I and a lot of members do, pick an avatar and then leave a proper photo on your profile, so if people want that personal level they can see it, and then the people that don't, you don't have to worry about if they disrespect / insult / criticise you or whatever. Make sense? :confused:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh another thing I've noticed: Guys tend to be 100x times nice to me when I have my picture compared to when I don't show my picture.

Damn, I honestly thought at first right on that other forum, that guys would warm up to me easily because in real life and other parts of the internet sphere, guys do get along with me easily even though I'm reserved.

.But the way guys treated me on that other forum (and keep in mind, I didn't give my picture out publicly) SHOCKED ME! I didn't know guys could be that harsh to me, they're normally always nice to me.

Okay, I know I sound naive but you have to be in my shoes to understand!

Don't tell me some guys, all along - their niceness to me have been determined largely by my looks. That's what makes me suspicious, I suddenly realize it today and wonder about it.

:bored: Sigh. Great.

Men.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
INFP forum is a phenomenon that has no precedence in the history of history.

but to answer your question, I could care less about your picture (not that I don't like it, i think you are lovely). I only care about your thoughts and opinions, hence my lame avatar hahaha.
That was funny :tongue: . I was reading your message like 'What? What lame avat..... oh' haha then turned saw the teddy bears face and laughed. Twas good.:crazy:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, now I'm thinking I shouldn't have been so naive! Oh well, I'm an INFP, I have to step out of dreamland..

Hey I thought of something :crazy: Maybe in a few days time or a week, I'm going to post my real photo for a while on that other forum. Maybe then the guys over there would be kicking themselves in the balls, beating themselves up and saying,''Oh shit why the hell wasn't I nice to her?''

HAHAHAHAHHA *EVIL LAUGHS*

I'm sorry! It's new to me, I'm used to guys being nice to me :sad: It made me so angry today to be honest.

In my life, it's always women who are meaner to me, so honestly it's a new phenomena. Sorry.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There's this other forum which is filled with obnoxious over judgmental pricks.
Hmmm...
You'll have to fill us in on the name of this forum so we know where to set the trolls loose *ahem* I mean so we know where to spread our friendliness! :tongue:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah, not telling which forum :crazy: Don't feel like it, I have a 'feeling' (instinct) some of them lurk at PerC

But I'm going to do something evil.. lol..

Sorry it sounds weird, I'm just not used to being treated that way by guys.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Yes, when people are in some way made aware that they are interacting with a real person their feeling side gets activated and they become nicer.

I was part of an online gaming group and I (and other people) have noticed that when we would discuss something via forum people could be at each other's throats saying some very harsh and nasty things to each other, being cold, throwing ad hominem attacks around and so on. But then when people got on voice chat and could hear each other's voices then suddenly everybody was nice and getting along. It was much easier to be critical of others via forums. My theory was that the feelings aren't really there unless your mind can sense that there is a real person that you're interacting with. Posting a pic of yourself does this trick.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honestly it shocked me! I was SO NOT USED to guys judging me that way..

Now the realization makes me think next time I shouldn't be naive, but I guess I shouldn't take my looks for granted -_-

1 - 20 of 30 Posts