Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
It's only planted within us if someone else saves us first. Their act wakes up to the reality of our worth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Society has placed a value on saving others its true. I'm sure it has encouraged a sense of learned helplessness in people.
None the less, saving the day for someone is a desirable thing to do. If you can do it and especially if you wont try to rub it in their face after, why not?
Above all, its the right thing to do.

The purpose it serves is that we are all one collective group on this earth. To just let suffering and hardship accumulate eventually leads to wasting away and decay of humanity; in every way.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The personality, people who like to have the admiration of others. It feeds the ego knowing that the saved will greatly appreciate and admire you. The saved then owe you the same favor and you have the upper hand. Also social logic which comes from security in knowing that perhaps someone would do the same for you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's only planted within us if someone else saves us first. Their act wakes up to the reality of our worth.
This is definitely true. I was getting depressed because of my loneliness and my friend (he was more a stranger than a friend at first) help me and now I feel that I need to help him in every situation. I had several dreams where I save him and that kind of stuff. But for me is also true that it is for empathy.
Our hearts react to the world. And we feel our pain, and we understand others feel it too.
I just can't see anyone sad, somehow I feel their pain like it was mine, and I feel a urge to hug them and make them happy. When I see the others happy, even if I am at the bottom of the pit, I become happy too.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I feel like in the U.S. especially the sense of what a hero is has been distorted. Sure, we can save some trees by using less paper, but does that suddenly make one a "hero"? Say somebody obeys by traffic law and doesn't go over the speed limit just for the sake of giving law enforcement less trouble, is that person a hero? Or, let's say somebody is a heart-set vegetarian or vegan because of the amount of people who wrong animals. Is that person a hero for only eating vegetables? Or the man who declares war and kills for his people? The one that sits, meditating, and achieves inner peace? The one who betters their community? The one who stops bullying?

Some of these people fail to see the consequences of their actions. Less paper means more electronics, resulting in fuel burning in order to give those electronics power. What are those fuels made of? Really, really, REALLY old and compressed plants and animals. What of the one who obeys the speed limit, what about the people that were late to work as a result? What of the vegetarians and vegans who not only ignore organic farmers, but also damage themselves by not giving their bodies some things only meat can supply? Or say they take supplements, those are manufactured by machines. Those machines require power, once again going to fuel.

What of the one who declares war for the interest of his people? What if he protects his people, but the fighting destroyed land owned by the other nation's civilians? What if some civilians were killed? If it is in interest for resources, what if the other nation is now forced to go without? What if it is for a new government, yet the new one made is unstable and puts a lot of people in misery? What if the one who achieved inner peace fails to recognize the non-existence of peace between other people? What if the one who betters their community winds up causing those people to become arrogant and snobby? What if that community is a nation and now there is tension between other nations? Or what if those people become too reliant and, when this person leaves, that society crumbles? What if the one who stops bullying winds up taking away a lot of rights given, some constitutional? What if an act of random violence occurs and yes, the aggressor is punished, but the victim was held to rules in which one cannot defend oneself?

There are positive and negative repercussions to every action and inaction, therefore the word "hero" can only be a concept, for in this world with so many people there will always be someone who suffers as a result. If one person suffers can that person truly be a "hero," a noble person whose actions only bring good?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Most of the time that's true - but other times life kicks you in the nuts so many times you decide you deserve better and act on it. Then before you know it you're just trying to make everyone else happy too. :happy:

·
Registered
10,452 Posts
Not everyone daydreams about saving the day. I think it depends on the individual. As someone else pointed out, for some, it's vain glory. But as someone else pointed out, love and empathy are also very real and that comes from within. What purpose does it serve? I'm not sure if you simply mean daydreaming and that's it or acting on that daydream to help others. I mean, it helps to have a vision before you set out to do something. It's a motivator. But the actual action itself (when done with the right intentions) creates harmony, joy, life and more love.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The world is full of wounded, unhealthy, and weak people. If I was God, I'd end it and start somewhere else fresh. Then again, if the new crop is not robot, it will be poluted and corrupted just like this current crop of people.

Hero? I am the hero in my world. I rescue and rebuild myself time and time again. If 50% of the population is determined to be their own hero, the world would be a paradise than the cesspool it is now.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
I don't think so, society it's creating the opposite idea lately. Here where I live everyone says "It's too late to save the world", people became selfish. "If we help we will be screw too"

It depens on the person. I do daydream about saving the world sometimes, I actually had a real dream the other day about it.

I always believe I can save people, fix them, etc but to be honest, I don't know where that idea comes from, but it's there in my mind like a beautiful virus.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here we I live everyone says "It's too late to save the world", people became selfish. "If we help we will be screw too"
Here is the same. I usually hear things like "I only help others because some day they will help me" I even had a teacher that said this! And when I said that I never expect nothing from others except their happiness she made that face like "you are missing the point!"

·
MOTM October 2013
6,428 Posts
Oddly enough, I've noticed if I start having daydreams of saving a particular someone from danger (muggers, the apocalypse, charging rhinos, take your pick...), it means my relationship with them is about to tank. I suppose its the subconscious me yearning for some warmth or respect that isn't there.

I like challenges, I've noticed. I see a community in distress and think to myself "if only someone could stand up and say THIS and do THAT they wouldn't be in such bad straits--oh, hey, I can say and do those things!" So I do. And for while, it can feel pretty darn good and people thank me. But then politics. People who don't like my changes start complaining. Sides get chosen and suddenly the people who I'm trying to help are telling me I'm just a trouble-maker and choosing war when I should've chosen peace (0.o?). And eventually I say f-- it, have your garbage, I'm moving on to somewhere that appreciates my hard work. And so I do. And then wonder how I keep getting myself into drama, har.

In the end, I've decided the best route is never let fear of repercussion stop me from doing or saying what I think is right and believe to be true...but I should never expect others to be grateful or to agree. For a depressingly large amount of circumstances, people are in trouble because they put themselves there, and are willfully clinging to whatever part of their identify or desires that keeps them locked up in that pattern. Sometimes I come in at just the right time and can say just the right thing to break the pattern, but that's rare, and you can bet it's almost certainly not due mostly to MY actions, but because their dam finally gave way after my little water droplet had it's say along with the tens of thousands of others.

Would it stop me from rescuing someone from a collapsing building? No, but I stick to my humility. I did what needed to be done and what I would hope anyone in my place would do, but that doesn't make me a hero.

·
Master
1,886 Posts
I feel the want to help people from inside, I don't do it because society is pressuring me. I actually get pleasure and enjoyment out of helping others, it's a warm fuzzy feeling not far off from feeling loved. It gives me peace of mind to help others and the knowledge that I've left a postitive mark on the world fills me with purpose. This is probably why I don't like charity since it's really just a bandaid for a problem, I want to see change and action from what I do. I want to help build up something that will stand the test of time or spark a change that transforms something bad into something good.

Do you guys think am I being selfish?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feel the want to help people from inside, I don't do it because society is pressuring me. I actually get pleasure and enjoyment out of helping others, it's a warm fuzzy feeling not far off from feeling loved. It gives me peace of mind to help others and the knowledge that I've left a postitive mark on the world fills me with purpose. This is probably why I don't like charity since it's really just a bandaid for a problem, I want to see change and action from what I do. I want to help build up something that will stand the test of time or spark a change that transforms something bad into something good.

Do you guys think am I being selfish?
I don't think you're being selfish.
Its okay to feel good about helping others. The warm and fuzzies feel nice anyhow.
Charity often does end up being a mere band-aid. Some don't but others do.
Your second to last sentence shows the selfless part of you.

Me I feel beyond the fuzzy feeling. I simply look at it from the perspective of seeing problems and wanting to implement the solution I feel and know can work. For the sake of doing the right thing and getting things done right...more logic for me in a way.
Just wanting to see things and ultimately people better off like you know is possible.

Its not always easy though, because many barriers exist, including the very people themselves who may reject you. Still my urge to do so burns on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts