• turran is a bitch.................. 4evr

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
of the audio persuasion that is.... so what is the benchmark what do you refuse to go under for happy listening?

Technology advances and so does I ....etc.......bitrate.... gosh I remember when 128 was da bomb.. :mellow: I used to consider 192 for a long time so I have a great deal of that BUT now I try to achieve a minimum of 320... I can't tell after that.

P.s. as far as variable goes just average it to the closest available.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hmm... interesting. I guess with many users being uneducated and using iBuds 128 would sound fine but we'll see :happy:

Personally I'd not consider ripping to anything but lossless as space is cheap so why risk loosing anything, but I can enjoy a downloaded preview of an album at 192+. I've not voted - will do a critical test later when the whole town is asleep to test my ears. If you want accuracy that is :laughing:

(don't worry, I'll not be annoying the neighbours - I have big headphones :tongue:)

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
In order

1. CD
2. FLAC
3. 320 MP3
4. 128 MP3
5. Tape

I've tried Vinyl but sometimes I wonder if the superb audio quality is marred by the sound of dust.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The lowest I will go is 160. I only have a few songs on my ipod that are that low. Most of my mp3s are 192+. I do notice a big difference between 160 or 192 and 256+, but I can't be bothered to download or make sure absolutely every song is at that bitrate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can listen happily on 192. This is what I have as a minimum on my PMP. Even if I can tell the diff doesn't mean I won't appreciate the song.
I don't see the use for lossless on a portable at all, unless you have a portable amp with you cause the players do not have the muscle to do a flat frequency response, usually dropping 5-10 dB on the lower end and the eq isn't enough to compensate for that. On the go you usually have lots of other noises too doing far more damage than most compression losses at respectable bitrates.

At 128 strings usually sounds bad to me, strings are usually the firsts do succumb. 320 is almost always transparent unless I do A and B testing at home and really try do to find the compressed version. I did so some years ago. An interesting find was that I found the for me unknown .mpc format to sound best at 150-200 compared to mp3, wma and some others. Wma did great, comparatively, at low bitrates where mp3 were so-so low to high. Much could have happen since then though.

I won't except anything less than lossless for purchase.

Oh, I forgot... as a bg to a movie a lower bitrate could be used. Probably because too much simultaneous stimuli?

·
Registered
Check Signature. 100 characters is just awful.
6,122 Posts
This is my sort of question. I think INTJ and INTP would be interested since it is to do with chemistry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts