Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Becoming a misanthrope & disillusioned: "Humanity is hopeless,I can't relate anymore"

(WARNING: below this line you will read perhaps the ultimate most 'arrogant' (or whatever it is you'll call) BIG, general rants on the "BIGGER-picture" things ever. and contrary to many threads on this forum, no, this won't be about small boyfriend/girlfriend little problems, nor about problems at school, at work, etc etc. no, this is a rant about Humanity as a whole. so please proceed only if you're ready and have a BIG HEART to read & 'swallow' my frustrated and RAW, HONEST, no BS-and-sugarcoat rants below!....thank you.)

I think it's quite sad & unfortunate of how I've spent like 80% of my life nowadays resenting humanity/mankind at large.

Yes,..I've successfully becoming a misanthrope now, and also disillusioned and feeling largely disconnected from not just society (with often its silly, meaningless, and petty rules & norms & sick, twisted values or "images"), but from human beings as well! (with few exceptions for example: the philosophers, the Thinkers, the true, HONEST, and wise people, artists, that unfortunately seems to be FEW, often ridiculed, and scattered across this otherwise lovely blue planet).
In fact, I feel somehow much more connected to the animals, than humans nowadays!

Humans are, mostly, sadly, hopeless creatures...we're destroying our own Planet, animals, and even killing our fellow species over some stupid, close-minded, most ignorant & selfish, senseless reasons..

I'm a misanthrope...a 30 yrs old misanthrope coming from Asia.
humanity and society nowadays are mostly so fucked-up, that I don't even know where I can start to describe it..
everything I see and hear nowadays is just basically so reek of superficiality, greed, shallowness, meaninglessness,
yes..that last word is the most important: MEANINGLESSNESS in all human's daily-lives activities, business, all the conflicts, especially little conflicts, all the superficial & shallow adorations, political bickering, constant gossiping, celebrity-whoring, money-whoring and shallow-mindedness, etc etc.

it's sad because I used to believe and have Hope (and somewhat still though..although diminishing quite rapidly) that human beings (humanity) can be and do much much MORE than our current state (of "evolution", or whatever that is)! but instead, we humans often choose to repeat the same mistakes of choosing the SHALLOW, SHORT-TERM thinking and paths, and hence, all the constant endless wars, hatred, meaningless little bickering & conflicts here and there, all for NOTHING! and only to satisfy their human's little EGOs!

that's all I can say about humanity and this so-called "Reality" we're currently living in...
sad but true..
so you ask me, how can I NOT become a misanthrope?..
heck, I hate most jobs, still living with my parents, and just basically hate almost everything in this shallow superficial so-called "earthly reality".
I often feel like I don't belong on this planet, and belong to other planet, feeling like an alien..(or maybe I am?...there's some crazy theories about this though..often wish they were true..).
I am doomed.
please get me out of this matrix...I can't fuckin' stand any longer!!

Can anybody relate with me here?..or I'm just being alone here?

(PS: sorry if I sound like I'm 'above' humanity or something like that, but the real honest truth is: I do in fact sometimes feel like that! I won't lie and sugar-coat any longer. perhaps because I'm just basically tired of being constantly associated with these petty, shallow human beings with their meaningless "sheeple & ignorant" daily-routinity like machines/robots and many reasons I've stated above!.. I wish I could ascend and become one with God, and leave this rotten planet..it's sad because like the genius George Carlin once said: "the planet is fine, the people are fucked." , and he's a misanthrope as well...now I can totally relate & understand why he thinks like that!..).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes,..I've successfully becoming a misanthrope now, and also disillusioned and feeling largely disconnected from not just society (with often its silly, meaningless, and petty rules & norms & sick, twisted values or "images"), but from human beings as well! (with few exceptions for example: the philosophers, the Thinkers, the true, HONEST, and wise people, artists, that unfortunately seems to be FEW, often ridiculed, and scattered across this otherwise lovely blue planet).
In fact, I feel somehow much more connected to the animals, than humans nowadays!
I truly think that misanthropy is always a consequence of losing your connection with the people around you. It's never the other way around. Basically, it's a coping-mechanism, a last resort. When you feel appreciation for the people around you, and feel appreciation and acceptance from them. It becomes impossible to be a misanthrope. Love conquers the darkness so to speak.

So don't stop trying to reconnect, and you'll eventually find that your hatred fades.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Here's another great video on self-change affecting societal change (I'm not a muslim but it's brilliant advice and eloquently put);

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Ive felt like this many times before....I have no idea how I got past it, it just seemed to fade away with time once I looked more closely at the people around me and realised that there are those out there who want to do something decent in the world.

But that only applied to me, I wouldn't think for a second that my circumstances are the same as yours, just that misanthropic idealism.

It even got to the point where I spent time fantasising about how to go about causing the self destruction of the human race...
However I was lucky, like all my bad moods, some of which lasted years at a time, I usually just ride them out till they go, no matter how agonisingly straining that is.

Trouble is that solutions only work if you can relate them to other people....unfortunately I think that is impossible on an individual level.

Afterall, what do we really KNOW about others around us?

Reactions: niki

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I think I have probably done this in my life at times -taken a big, fat, worn brush with chaotic, splayed bristles and painted Humanity with the You-Suck color. It's easy enough to do...but then I'll get out of my own way and talk to some *individuals* and realize there are humans doing great things in this world.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You sound a lot like how I used to sound. You feel like this because you believe "people should be what I expect them to be" and "life is unfair when I don't get what I want", etc. This is called entitlement. You will never be able to control other people; only yourself. Do you want to be unhappy?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I've always wondered how you would have turned out if you had an entirely different family and grew up elsewhere. Do you think you would have felt the same way? What about growing up with a terminal illness? Or perhaps being the opposite sex? What if you grew up in an age where "might is right" and were of higher social status? It's hard to say. Maybe you would have similar sentiments, maybe not.

In this lifetime, it pays handsomely to understand where other people are coming from. To put ourselves in their shoes, sort of speak. I'm sure many people out there consider INFPs to be one of the weakest types, particularly emotionally, but I think we are one of the most gifted for our unrivaled ability to empathize. It's such a cruel twist of irony, our greatest gift for connecting with people, can sometimes lead to our avoidance of them as well. Are people truly inherently bad? Are they misguided? Are they aware of the problems they cause? Honestly, I can't answer that because I haven't lived long enough or experienced enough to tell you. You have 4 years on me though, maybe you know something I don't.

Now, I'm not going to argue with anything you said. I admire passion as long as it is unyielding and unbreakable -- stubborn by definition. I hope your thoughts will not waver whatsoever based on any post you read in this thread... even for a moment. If it does though, perhaps your passion wasn't as strong as you thought & your thread isn't as honest as you would have led us to believe. Back to searching for the truth~

Careful where you are, my friend. The sweet serenade of a sirens song is also one that has slain many.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Can anybody relate with me here?..or I'm just being alone here?
Hang on.

"I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“Oh, but I think you do. That surge of power and delight, of confidence, of control. That sudden sense of the richness of the world. It’s infinite possibility."
A quote from one of my favorite books - The Secret History // Donna Tart. No, I'm not going to explain the context of the quote, that would be spoiling. Because now that I think of it, perhaps a lot of INFP's can appreciate this book, so no, I'm not telling :) <3

What I mean to depict here is that Aha-erlebnis, that eureka-moment, when the world unfolds before you and you feel like you understand it all, understanding it so well as if you become one with it. Your post sounds like you've been bottling up your frustrations with this world, the unfairness, the ugliness, the sadness. And then you exploded into that eureka-moment.

Surely I know 'eureka' is meant to be used for those glorious and positive moments where you gain a new insight. Well what I see in your post is similar in my opinion. It is frustration about this, anger about that, sadness about another thing... And all of a sudden, you see it, you see that it is orchestrated, you see the connections, you see it for what it all is and means, and most importantly, you see who the big perpetrator is: humanity. And KABOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Actually, you coming out and saying you're a misanthrope, it is an aha-erlebnis of sorts, an extraverted intuition [Ne] cognition jumping out of the hat. The massiveness of your judgment, it is overwhelming, and I think it's all bottled up Fi stuff, propelled by extraverted thinking [Te] outwards. But don't take my explanation for granted, because I'm quite the noob at understanding MBTI. ^^;

And you know what, it is fine. It is alright that this has happened to you. That you are very disappointed in humanity. That you feel like you're a misanthrope right now. Yes, you heard me correctly. I'm not going to pull you out of your Matrix.

Because the funny thing about anyone's Matrix is, it is a reality that seems out of their control. Some invisible person or computer is pulling the strings, and it feels like there is nothing that can be done. "They" cannot be touched, seen, intervened with. If I existed outside your matrix, I'm not sure whether I could pull you out, even if I wanted to.

Instead, I'm writing you this post. :)

The fact that you can see the world for what it is right now is actually a gift that I think INFP's should cherish and foster. Well, I also think it's important that in your view of the world, you can distinguish what exactly is your perception, and what exactly is your judgment, but that's more of a secondary importance.

You should cherish this moment, because now, more than ever, it is crystal clear what you hate about this world. What you want the world to be, its counterpart - that is what you dream of, that is where your hope comes from. Quite possibly this capability of seeing and incapability to put it into words, is why INFP's are looked upon as aliens, or why INFP's find themselves alienated, outside this world, unrelated, almost an out-of-body experience.

Now that you know what the world is and what you want it to be, you have knowledge. And now that you know that you are not Neo, you are one step closer to knowing who you are (and getting out of your Matrix!). Because knowing that you don't know something is also knowledge. Ask Plato. Okay, he's dead. So, ask yourself! Who are you, and what are you capable of doing? What is actually *in* your control, and what isn't? (Isn't it said that happiness and inner peace starts with knowing what you can and cannot? I kind of forgot.)

Because eventually, we're all Brain (maybe some of us are Pinky?), trying to take over the world. We just need to figure out how to get there, what ingenious contraptions to invent, what bastardly bold strategies we need to follow. And that starts with knowing ourselves. Knowing who we are and who we aren't. Knowing what we can do and what we can't.

And knowing what we can do about enhancing our capabilities. Because you can enlarge your *circle of influence* (google Steven Covey if you're interested). Because maybe you cannot do something *right now*, but if you put some effort into studying yourself, cultivating your strengths and weaknesses alike, you can do it *later*. We can grow, improve, get better. A few before me have said something else very important: put yourself in other people's shoes every now and then, because that too will help you get better. We might lose hope at times, but not all is lost when hope is lost. Hope is fickle, don't rely on it too much, do it for the cause. For the values you hold dear. For the things you love.

Be disconnected, stuck for a moment in your misanthropy. Not to feel miserable for misery's sake, but to get better because of it, before you reconnect. ;)

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
I empathize with your predicament.
The world isn't perfect.
But you don't have to be a misanthrope.
You can change your view.
Use your creative energies and do something about it.
Ascend with God through your talents (you're a very talented guy!).

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I found this quite interesting:

In Western philosophy, misanthropy has been connected to isolation from human society. In Plato's Phaedo, Socrates defines the misanthrope in relation to his fellow man: "Misanthropy develops when without art one puts complete trust in somebody thinking the man absolutely true and sound and reliable and then a little later discovers him to be bad and unreliable...and when it happens to someone often...he ends up...hating everyone." Misanthropy, then, is presented as the result of thwarted expectations or even excessively naive optimism, since Plato argues that "art" would have allowed the potential misanthrope to recognize that the majority of men are to be found in between good and evil.
..given that into account, it seems like scorned INFPs might very well be prone to misanthropy.

·
Banned
600 Posts
(with few exceptions for example: the philosophers, the Thinkers, the true, HONEST, and wise people, artists, that unfortunately seems to be FEW, often ridiculed, and scattered across this otherwise lovely blue planet).
You think these people are the exceptions to the rule and I can't agree. I don't see them as the exceptions or the rule. I see them as part of our world, a part that is not being given the attention it deserves.

If you watch the news, you'll notice that the criminals are given much more attention than the people who do good in the world. Are you a serial killer? You'll be on the news. Did you stop someone from jumping off a bridge at 5 AM when no one else was there? No one's gonna know about it.

We all tend to focus more on the things that cause us pain and suffering than the things that makes us happy and give us hope.

Last but not least, I believe that all people are capable of all sorts of acts, wonderful or horrible. I refuse to see this world in black & white. There are colors everywhere.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
S.C.U.M. Manifesto by Valerie Solanas

Persecution of the Humanists, the protestant revolution (particularly over Martin Luther's supposed revelations and their association with the claimed battles with the devil), and the abuses of the Catholic Church during the Rennaissance period.

Holocaust research and the claims to Aryan Supremacy.

Read unadulterated Greek Myths.

Ethnic Cleansings......Rowanda comes to mind.

........there's a shit ton more here that I could add, but this is probably a healthy enough dose for someone like you. Try skimming through these subjects and delve into them a little bit. Sucks big cajones.

I read a lot about the darker aspects of humanity, perhaps more than one person should. I consider a lot of these people related to these incidents and works to be true misanthropes. Once they refuse to co-operate with others and stick obstinately to some fringe view is the ultimate marker of no return, I don't think you're really there. More like trying to find an answer to the injustices of the world and a bit hurt that one doesn't pop up. Eh, I don't have one for you either.

What I will say is that you haven't stumbled on anything profound. The world is unfair, and injustices are served daily with a considerable amount of pain on the side. I see it around me on a daily basis here in this third world crap hole, and I hate it. So yeah.......you're right, people hurt each other, wars are pretty common, and resources are pretty much consumed at an alarming rate at times. Unfortunately this is where you and I divide into different camps.

I refuse to do nothing about this or just see the consistent bad. Right or wrong, I've already resolved to help out in some degree to causes I want.

So......what are you going to do? Write about it? Use your talents to push around some views? Or just vent in more posts? As with every other piece of advice I've written to you in the past, go do something. Be cognizant of who you are. And hopefully you might find some solace through this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I agree with you, niki. I also see people as sheeple with big egos - in China they say, small monkeys with a tall hat. They're ruining the environment, the climate and the younger generation. That's the way they are and I prefer to keep my distance. People appear to be nice but spend time with them and you see a different side. It may sound as if I'm a notch above them and maybe I think I am. I too would like to live in an environment where people are intelligent, kind, fair and humane. But they're not and, despite the ugliness, I would rather see the truth as it is and not a rosy illusion. Even though it's all illusion.

Three years ago, I had an epiphany. The Age of Cheap Energy has ended and the resource wars are in full swing. But, then we realise that we can produce and tap into a vast energy net surrounding the Earth. It is produced by all living things and we can tap into it for free. But we can only do so if we're both spiritually and mentally healthy. This means that greedy people can't use it for profit and, in fact, can't even tap into it and have to depend on the generosity of others for energy. Money becomes useless and we don't need to eat for energy. I tend not to speak about it as it sounds very New Agey. There was a video (thrive) that was very similar to my epiphany on youtube but it's been removed.

I'm short on patience today and probably shouldn't be posting because I know I'll have to write several more posts to clarify what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Michael Ruppert talks about the idea of a post petroleum man, people who have escaped the paradigm of the corporate state, and have begun to explore what being a human being actually means. The number of these people is growing. There's also a second group, the exact opposite, the zombies, and unfortunately this group is growing at a faster rate.

As society breaks down, as the old ways no longer work, and stress and difficulty increase people will be forced to choose between these two things. You can grow up, evolve, and break your conditioning, which is extremely difficult and often quite painful as it often requires losing relationships as well as giving up long held beliefs. Or if you're unable to do that you become a zombie, and fully, absolutely immerse yourself in celebrities, sports, video games, shopping, fast food, drugs, etc. Eventually the pain of cognitive dissonance, the vast chasm of difference between what we've been taught at school, at church, and the messages we receive from the government and the media from actual reality will simply be to great to maintain. Many have already decided that 2+2=5. They've made their choice and they'll pay the consequences.

This creates a strange situation where things are getting both better and worse at the same time. A considerable number of people are pushing the boundaries of what is possible, and exploring the nature of reality, of truth, that would have been inconceivable not long ago. And others, who are part of the matrix, those who are dependent on the system, simply cannot handle reality, and just give up and become a zombie.

Community is important, like many here are saying. However, the makeup of that community is also important. You need to make sure your community is made up of actual people and not zombies. And unfortunately finding actual people is sometimes difficult.

This is a very difficult time but also one of great opportunity and possibility. I've learned a great deal over the last few years, and the real issue for me is applying that knowledge. When I don't make the time and put in the effort I start to get frustrated and depressed.

The level of ignorance, stupidity, and just true evil today is staggering. However, at the same time, when I do put in the time and effort, when I take a moment to truly look I find so many good things also, that I previously didn't even know existed.

I've said several times here that these type of thoughts, of depression, anger, and frustration are completely normal, and are exactly what you'd expect in today's society. The question is what are you going to do next. And that's not an easy question to answer. How is it possible to acknowledge the true nature of society, that of a mass prison or a control grid, and truly and fully live at the same time? The only answer I have is to break down every single wall that you can. And those walls begin within your own mind.

You have to let it all go. Fear. Doubt. Disbelief. Free Your Mind.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
I see a lot of posts about misanthropy (not blatantly labeled by them as such) from the INTJs forum. I'm not like that, so I kind of find it adolescent.
No logic goes into feeling misanthropic, or even thinking that way.

·
Banned
147 Posts
@Rainbow

I liked your troll thread you made on the INFP board a little while ago. Good shit. Between you and me, you're not an INTJ right? You're an undercover agent posing as an INTJ and hanging out in their forums so you can give us valuable top secret information on them...right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I finally had some time to think. I often feel the same and whenever I do I have to remind myself that humans aren't inherently terrible and many are the product of their environment, an environment where cruelty and indifference are regarded as virtues. There's a cycle of patterns and we follow based on what we see or only seem to know or recognize.

It's easy to become discourage, give up and lose hope. I know that I have and probably will again in the near future. We're just not as advanced as we like to appear and depend on unreason, blind fear, violence, prejudices, hatred and impulses and whatever else that might be and sadly if we imagine a world not like this one it suddenly becomes a utopian dream and dismissed before becoming actual. It can happen, it will happen, it's just a manner of when and when you're ready and envision a world without social ills this puts you at odd with everyone else. I just know that I can't allow myself to become apathetic and if and when this happens then I'm the spectator. This will make me guilty of indifference.

It's quite easy to become disturbed by the things we see and hear and our defense mechanism is to retreat from harm and danger and by retreating this could be separating yourself from the outside world, or block out every unpleasant things and events, become one of the many spectators who know something is wrong and just watch.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's a lot in this world that is messed up. I don't like it, either.

But I choose to live in it, to try to effect change, to do what I can--even if it's not much--to make a positive difference.

I can't relate to misanthropy at all.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Misanthropy for me is usually a rebound from overwhelming large-scale emotions. Those times when the good won't come into focus, and the "people everywhere are starving-cold-abused-fighting-lonely" thoughts sit on my soul like barbells. Empathy for others is beautiful but it can eat a person alive. You're tired of thinking, your stomach is cramped from all the knots, and your heart feels like it's being wrung by a set of iron hands.

Most empathetic people have felt this way at some point in their lives, and those with the highest levels of empathy (so many INFPs) will feel this way on a regular basis. The negative feelings are overwhelming and powerful, but they're so draining they can't last forever. Once the peak has passed and the emotions begin to quell, I believe there are three main roads this can lead you down:

1) Once there's been time to rest emotionally, you begin to regain your sense of idealism/optimism. The cloud has passed so to speak. As a chronic feeler you know it will storm again in the future, but you're able to enjoy the sunshine between.

2) It's happened one too many times and you don't get properly rested between - apathy sets in, because when something is painful/unbearable the most effective solution is to numb it. The calm of apathy can feel like a balm on a wound at first.

3) Apathy becomes the habitual state and after awhile, you realize the bleakness of life without proper emotion. You remember back when they were strong, both high and low. But because apathy is a depressant of sorts it leaves little motivation, and those highs can seem impossible to reach again. So we resent; resent the world for not reaching the potential we dream of for it, resent the world for draining us of emotion and separating us from our joy, resent the bad people who prosper. Just like it is easier to sit on the couch than to exercise, it is easier to give into negative emotion than positive ones, once we've been sliding downward already.

I think it's pretty rare to skip from idealism to misanthropy. Most people get disappointed too many times, retreat as a defense (apathy), and then feel resentment at those who they feel forced them to retreat (Referring to INFPs here; I'm sure some other types are more likely to jump from disappointment to revenge with less contemplation).

The other thing to be careful of is the "me vs. them" mentality when dealing with people on an individual basis. Generalizations can have merit, yes lots of people are shallow, greedy, cruel, what have you...just beware of judging first and interacting second. Most people aren't going to wear their heart on their sleeve for a stranger or acquaintance. What you perceive as shallow may be a cover for stronger emotions.

Hell, INFPs are famous for having default "blank stares" when actually in a labyrinth of deep thought. The world is made of illusions my friend....every face you see IS a mask, and until you know someone well personally, you don't know what's going on, period.

I also think of junior high school when I loved the Beatles and always wore a Beatles sweatshirt. Every time I saw someone else wearing a Beatles shirt my instinct was to think "What a poser, they're just wearing that to look cool. They aren't a TRUE fan." A few years and a lot more common sense later and it dawned on me - perhaps, just perhaps, this person did like the Beatles. And how many kids were looking at me those years and thinking the same thing, 'what a poser'?

Grand-scale feelings are haunting me a lot lately, but I'm currently in the rollercoaster stage of constant up and down. Interesting post.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts