Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and nothing turned up on the first 2 searches.

I believe I'm a healthy INFJ. But to some people who are unhealthy, they might not actually know how to directly become the healthy version of their type.

So guys, how do you become healthy as opposed to unhealthy?

List your type beforehand so people know!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
What do you mean by "unhealthy"? Do you mean sad/depressed? Or do you mean doing things that aren't very nice/ethical? In either of those situations, self awareness can make the biggest difference. Being aware of nasty behaviors and habits means you can make a conscious effort to not do them. I'd also look at the inferior function. There are articles in each sub forum pertaining to the inferior function of each type. Inferior functions can affect us dramatically without us even realizing it.

If it is beyond self awareness, conscious effort, and reading about the inferior function, then speaking with someone IRL who can help (Dr., Therapist, etc.) should be considered.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually hear phrases like "a healthy INFJ" when referencing to Myerrs Briggs so I'm guessing unhealthy is leaning towards your shadow functions? I'm not quite sure how to comprehend "unhealthy" but I know it's a common word when first finding out about your type.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not really. I normally suggest keeping your mind somewhat away from all that terminology. It's a rough map of the patterns in personality, but I don't believe one should take these informations too seriously.

A healthy type is, regardless of the type, one that understands itself and accepts other people's differences. Such can be accomplished by pushing yourself out of comfort as many times as possible, so you can define which traits are actually 'you' and which traits are not. Going through these experiences is what makes you sure of yourself and let you see the other sides of the coin(s?).

I've noticed a trend where people tend to type themselves based only on what they think they are. 'I don't go often outside, so I must be an introvert for sure. ' is the kind of thinking that gives MBTI so much unnecessary misunderstanding. I believe that if this individual went outside and actually enjoyed the experience, it would seek going outside more often. Soon, enjoying going outside, he'd say: "I like going outside, so I'm an extrovert for sure." Or he could say: "I actually enjoy when I go outside, but it often tires me. I probably am an introvert"

Thing is, not putting something to test, you can never know where some trait is truly yours. And that's why no matter how much you read and how much you think about it, you'll not be sure of your type.

I may have went off-road, but I do have a point.

People who claim to be a unhealthy type can be in two distinct situations: They are indeed the given type, but being through an intense psychological/emotional stress that brings their own traits against them, clouding judgement and such; or, they could be thinking to be a given type, but since they are in denial/they don't know their true type/they idealize a given type, they believe that they represent a unhealthy fraction of a type demographic.

It's complicated to talk about health in type. People have lots of layers in front of their true selves, and finding that person is a hard task.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I think what's common to all healthy people is that they've found a way to balance themselves. Everybody has a path of least resistance. Going down that path is a bit like peeing yourself: It's a very good feeling at first, but then it just becomes cold and miserable.
All introverts need to learn to live a bit more in the here-and-now, and all extroverts need to learn to distance themselves a bit from the here-and-now.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
It depends on the person, but maybe just to balance everything and be happy as you are.

I also believe we'd have a better chance of becoming "healthy" if we didn't stop to observe and rationalize every single action of ours as being characteristic of a function, or a type, or whatever. Self-awareness is good, but sooner or later you'll have to take some action based on the knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts