Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I wonder if it's just me, or that it is a pattern in other
INTJ's as well.
When I was little, I was serious and I did not like a lot of silly things.
Besides that, I thought people talked too much about nonsense and that
a lot of people were petty.

As I grew older, I have gotten a lot of critique for not talking a lot
and not being petty (cold, too honest). I tried to change myself.
I feel sorry that I did:frustrating:. I feel like I am more childish and petty
today than I was at age 5. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
INTJ's as well.

Yup, that sounds just like me.
In high school I was the classical overachiever trying to get the highest grades possible.
I always focussed on appearing confident through not showing any sign of "weakness" (read:playfulness).

However, lately I've stopped caring about what others may or may not think about certain things. Now I just do what I feel like doing at the moment. It feels pretty good being able to let that mask slip off once in a while.
I have the habit of making myself sound more friendly by changing my voice away from the monotone. This does make me sound childish, but I think it also makes me a tad more approachable.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I don't relate.

·
Registered
INTJ
449 Posts
INTJ's as well.

I don't think you can say that for everybody as most INTJs (on Perc) seem to more on the serious side of the "funnyness" spectrum. Yes, I think age is a factor but only because it comes down to self confidence.

However, I think the main point is how much control you have over a situation.
In my old school, I was VERY serious and even more sarcastic.
I didn't mind my class too much, but those folks and me were simply not compatible... at all.

When I tried to be funny or a bit silly, it mostly backfired in one way or another until I got to the point were I just
developed the usual INTJ ("fuck you") attitude (but there were more reasons than that).
Sometimes it was frustrating and and was tempting not to be evily sarcastic if they don't get what you mean anyway.

However, now, in university I am certainly do "silly" stuff more frequently but mainly by being ironic or ambiguous. And if they don't like it? Well, screw them.

Well, it's more complicated than that but I tend to write extremely long posts and because I got to bed now I will just keep this post as it is xD

Not sure if that was exectly the response you were looking for, though.

·
Banned
2,064 Posts
INTJ's as well.

YES! I'm 35 and really acting like 10! When I was 10 I was acting 35, but then I figured I havent lived my childhood. I try to recuperate as much of it as I can. Mostly by doing stupid shit. Also people that dont know me give me 27-28 my looks changed with my attitude.

Reactions: asddsa

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Loosening up is an acquired skill for INTJ's, I think. I guess I've become more "childlike" in that regard. But I've also matured in other areas, like I've always had a tendency to say socially inappropriate or controversial things, with the reasoning that "other people are just too sensitive and that's not my problem." Not something I ever did regularly, but since I tend to fade into the background, getting called out is pretty memorable to me, eventually I caved and worked on improving that. haha.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Reactions: beth x

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
From what it sounds like, it's almost as if we INTJs experience a reverse aging process. Yes, I was quite serious and mature as a young child, and as an adolescent, I'd say that overall, I can still be rather serious, though I'm learning the process of lightening up rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
In my case, I feel childish in a different sense. When I was younger, I was pretty serious as well. Adults generally disliked me because I wasn't the happy laughing child. I had to repress myself, not ask "annoying" questions and was pretty quiet. When I got older though, I found things I was interested in and people who could relate to me. It's easier to "act like a child" now. I laugh more, have fun more, am not as afraid to speak my mind and can think about those ideas that maybe aren't practical but are fun to think about without having people force-feeding ideas down my throat. I don't think it's terrible to have the mind of a child. It means you are open to ideas and the world is still interesting to you. Frankly, looking at history and the current state of the world, being an adult means being jaded, following the status quo, and being pretentiously serious.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I'm still as childlish as I was at age of 5. Asking about every little thing, questioning everything and being overall curious about everything in life. I've always been pretty much like that. You know, the typical kid who answers to everything "Why?" and then figuring out different solutions/answers to things that were unclear to me.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think I'm still as childlish as I was at age of 5. Asking about every little thing, questioning everything and being overall curious about everything in life. I've always been pretty much like that. You know, the typical kid who answers to everything "Why?" and then figuring out different solutions/answers to things that were unclear to me.
Did people consider you childish at the age of 5?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did people consider you childish at the age of 5?
I guess? Adults probably considered me more stupid that I was since I asked about every little thing even when I might have known the basic concept. I've always been perfectionist about knowing everything about the topic and I didn't see the reason not to ask if something was unclear. Many times teachers (about in age 7-10) would get upset for me bombing them with questions and in the end ask me to go for break hahah. But I think many adults liked me because I would be honest and question politics and such. And because my sister was a rebellious one, my parents always asked me to calm her down, convince her about something etc... So I was kinda smart for a kid in that way?
And I guess I was serious in a way too; I didn't understand many games or plays like fighting each other for fun. To me it was to kill or not to kill, roughly said. Many games were hard for me except roleplay games because I always liked to act. Or maybe I was just weird that way, not sure. Now that I think about it, I wasn't really that childish... playing was 90% of the time with figures and it was more like a tactical strategy game than a mindless play (I hated those lol), I wasn't really playful. I've always been more of humorous person. It's actually kinda hard to tell that by myself since I was a little kid back then.

·
Registered
11,697 Posts
i have a feeling maybe we go for the important stuff first, and then we move on to the fluff. it might be part of the categorizing/sorting/prioritizing way that our minds operate.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
. It's actually kinda hard to tell that by myself since I was a little kid back then.
This though. I asked my parents if they had any videos of me when I was growing up (infanthood - elementary school) because I wanted to analyze my development...They told me they didn't have a camcorder then because they were being stingy - ___ -

Reactions: Ragarhan

·
Registered
25 Posts
INTJ's as well.

I feel sorry that I did
. I feel like I am more childish and petty
YES! I'm 35 and really acting like 10! When I was 10 I was acting 35, but then I figured I havent lived my childhood. I try to recuperate as much of it as I can. Mostly by doing stupid shit. Also people that dont know me give me 27-28 my looks changed with my attitude.
This is me as well at 33.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts