Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I decided I want to try and start reading because I never actually read much, even though I always enjoyed the little things I did read, but when I walked into a library the other day I was just overwhelmed. I had no idea where to start and how to tell if something interested me (Besides non-fiction stuff, but I'm equally interested in fiction stuff, too.) I kinda just wondered around the place looking like a lost animal and eventually just gave up and went home with nothing because I just couldn't make up my mind.

So, I was wondering what would fellow INFPs recommend on good "starting" books, or authors. I'm not really into sci-fi if it's just way too out-there, and I'm not into romance very much. I like things that are a bit down to Earth, but still seem mystical in some ways, preferably urban stuff. I'm really into mind boggling characters that make you think for weeks and weeks about them and what they meant. I am open to any type of book though, at any length, I'm not really experienced at all with literature so anything that will really just open me up to it all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
From what you said, I'd suggest you read Franz Kafka. Both "The Trial" and "The Castle" are somewhat down on earth with mystical elements, and characters that can be really outlandish while still being down to earth.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the catcher in the rye by JD Salinger (greatest book i've read so far)
or crime and punishment .
crime and punishment is more of an advanced read but it was one of the first books i've read on my own and i loved it.
also candide by Voltaire, its rather short and darkly humorous.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think Bad Monkeys fits the bill pretty closely, and possibly also Dead I Well May Be. The former takes place in San Francisco and does involve a bit of suspension of disbelief...I don't want to give away too much, but check out the synopsis to see what you think. The latter takes place in New York. The main character's an Irish expat who moves to Harlem, but he runs with a bad crowd and winds up far, far from New York. Man, I can't even tell you how much of a bad-ass he is. You will want to be him. :O Both of those books have pretty moving plots; I burned through them both.

Enjoy!

4,757 Posts
Maybe you'd like Haruki Murakami. The Elephant Vanishes (short stories) and Kafka on the Shore are two of my favourite books.
I would definitely add The Wind Up Bird Chronicles to that list. Basically one of my favourite books ever.

If you're not opposed to short stories - read some by J.L Borges. He's weird, fantastical, has amazingly beautiful prose - he has the coolest mind.
Basically his short stories are a x100000 better than anything you've read in high school.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Awesome thread I'm in the same situation for fiction books. I just got back from the bookstore, making a list

Has anyone read House of Leaves or Water for Elephants and did you like them?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Anything by Alexander Key. The books are kinda short, but they always appealed to me as a child and as an adult. The main characters usually have some sort of slightly mystical power (like exaggerated INFPness). He wrote Escape to Witch Mountain, among other books.

If you want longer books, I have LOVED reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Absolutely awesome series that I STILL think about the depth of the characters and the cultures LONG after putting down the most recent book. Actually, I'll probably start reading again, because the next book comes out soon. Even my 10yo loves those books, and they're, like, nearly 1000 pages apiece.

Calvin and Hobbes? Talk about depth! I have a different perspective reading those books as an adult than I did as a child (as with all books). Calvin and Hobbes is both comforting and thought provoking. And they're a VERY easy read. :laughing:

·
Registered
565 Posts
check out Jack Kerouac, The Subterraneans being my personal favourite :happy: but On The Road is the classic as most know. his work is grounded in reality, but very dreamy and mystical at the same time, Kerouac is a certain INFP and i think his work speaks to types like us

also, maybe check out Slaughterhouse 5. it is technically Sci-Fi, but a lot more human and grounded - i love the book, and personally i dislike Sci-Fi. so maybe it'll be similar for you...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you're going to read Kafka, I personally think it's best to start out with Metamorphosis, it's a bit more accessible than The Trial and much more accessible than The Castle, I never finished that one.

I second The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. The version I read is almost 900 pages, seems a lot but when you finish it it still feels short. It's also easy to read.

I was stunned by Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, it's very hard to grab the characters in the book. Both mystical and down to earth. Hard to get through sometimes and at times shocking and intimidating, but it pays off at the end.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm reading the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz right now. I'm on the third one at the moment, and they are really awesome books with deep, well written characters.

Reactions: hood

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haruki Murakami

I see he has already been mentioned. Kafka on the Shore is my favourite read of his but all his work is wonderful imo, Wild Sheep Chase is another of my favourites. Tom Robbins is also a very good writer and he's grat at bending the mind to unusual, mystical concepts, Jitterbug Perfume is my favourite novel of his.

So many wonderful books out there, happy reading :happy:

·
Registered
526 Posts
okay, I'm not an INFP, but I read so much that I'm going to contribute to this anyways. :crazy: I would definately recommend Farenheit 451, phenomenal book. Any of Kerouac's work would be good...personally I love On the Road and The Dharma Bums. A Clockwork Orange is really good too, but kinda trippy, so heads up. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of my FAVORITES....definately should try that one. Cormac McCarthy's The ROAD is another favorite of mine....it's kinda sci-fi/post-apocalyptic, but you barely even notice it because it's got such deep themes to it.

Awesome thread I'm in the same situation for fiction books. I just got back from the bookstore, making a list

Has anyone read House of Leaves or Water for Elephants and did you like them?
I've read Water for Elephants and I loved it. Beautifully written book.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone for all the recommendations :happy:
I think I'm gonna make a list of them and just go from there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts