Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Syd Field wrote a fantastic book on screenplay writing in which he says that after the death of his parents, he graduated high school and took a year off to figure out what he wanted to do with his life. At the end of the year he drove past a couple of mountains he had already driven past earlier in the year and it struck him suddenly: "Until I know where I'm going, I'm going nowhere."
And so he says, "Begin with the end in mind. There are a million ways to get where you're going but you've got to know where you're headed before you even begin."
Now, I know he was referring to screenplay writing, but he was also talking about life. And I contemplated this for a long while.
Where was I headed? What did I want? What is my end goal?
I think that we ENFPs can get stuck in the realm of possibilities. I know for me it has been rough. I'm interested in so many things. But first and foremost I want to help people.
If you feel this way, too, consider this: It doesn't matter what you do. If you are a working part of society and you do it with a strong set of ethics and are genuinely happy, you will help people.
If you are a great auto mechanic and love your job, your repairs help people get places, your smile could brighten someone's day. If you are a good person, it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you are doing your job, doing it well, interacting with people with a positive attitude and with empathy, you are helping people.
And so I finally figured it out tonight. What I selfishly want to do, a career where I will be rewarded for being the best at what I possibly can be.
In essence, I have finally discovered the end in mind.
Now, I can finally begin.

Briefly I want to say that my mother is a librarian. She is an introverted, quiet, INFJ, who hasn't got an assertive bone in her body. Meanwhile, I am the extraverted, loud, obnoxious, ADD, joke-cracking, people loving, expressive, ENFP who clashes with her like an elephant in her china cabinet.
And, I think I see where I do fit. It's where elephants go. Yeah, elephants are endangered, but it's better than being uncomfortably stuffed in a china cabinet.
Oh, I haven't said my end.
But I'm not sure I'm supposed to tell. Like a birthday wish, some things are better left unsaid.
:)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Out with it already! What's your specific plan? This could be the solution that ENFPs everywhere have been waiting for! :wink:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out with it already! What's your specific plan? This could be the solution that ENFPs everywhere have been waiting for! :wink:
:) I am certain Syd Field was an ENFP, too. Did you know he played an integral part in shaping the entertainment industry as we know it?

Well, my dear, Essay, I thought I already wrote I wasn't going to say my explicit plans :p
Maybe I will say them but not until one hour from now. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! Oh! I'm having a goal-gasm! oh...yeah...
Okay, I give up withholding information! I can't hold it anymore.
I'm going to be...
a writer.
Hahahahaha.
Doesn't sound too spectacular.
But JEE-USS!!!!!!!!!
The end in mind is: entertainment industry. dun-dun-dun.
I want to write things that make my mom go, "Klay-ruh!"
And she'll purse her lips into a scowl. And I will laugh and say, "Here's 200$, go get your hair done."
XD

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
definitely this is true.. i don't think you can get anywhere without a goal in mind, it's what things such as "The Secret" are based on, except that instead of it being some big hush hush about universal energy and higher powers; it's simply this.. "progress flows where focus goes". if you have no goals, you end up with nothing.. if you have a goal you automatically make progress toward achieving that goal.. you need end goals to shape progress.

my goal is to perfect my skill of psychology, or at least strive for it, and use it to enhance myself, my social life and my career (as a psychologist/counsellor).. now you don't that kind of 3in1 deal with a subject like history do you? heh.

you write like a writer.. your writing has got a sort of artsy air to it..

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you write like a writer.. your writing has got a sort of artsy air to it..
Tridentus! You're making me blush!

I wish you all the best in the pursuit of your psychology goals. You are a very sweet, caring, and intelligent person from what I have read of your posts. The world would be very fortunate to have you as a psychologist. :)

I entertained the notion, myself--especially in the past two years. But I worried that I wouldn't be totally fulfilled if I had to "serve" people all day. I'm simply too selfish. And that's reality. I want to help but I prefer to help by making jokes and creating opportunities and solutions. I mean, sure, I'd love to help kids in middle school deal with emotional problems.

But, in my opinion, the field of psychology needs to be taken more seriously. Culture must be changed in order to embrace our youth. We need help on both the macro and the micro levels. The media must change and individuals must change. Both psychologists and writers need to be sending the right message for the psychological, environmental, political, and general well-being of each individual: a group for the people and shaped by the people. Which means each individual must stand up and shape the group by contributing in the way they are best suited: by doing what makes them happy while also serving the group.

And I remembered today why I picked up that book on personality in the first place: in order to build characters with rich internal worlds filled with memories, hopes, dreams, feelings, and all the other stuff that makes them "alive."
For so long, I worried about what I had to offer. What was special about me that I could be a writer?
And I thought about that a long time. My solution is: there is nothing more special about me than anyone else but some people are writers and some people are not. It must be a matter of choice, desire, hard work, confidence, and keeping that end in mind. :)
So, this is my new theory, we'll see how it plays out.
XD

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
You can really affect more people through the arts than any other mode, therapy included.

I'm exited for you!

And did I ever say that I love your signature? It's funny as hell. Love Stephen Colbert who is a case in point, btw.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Registered
677 Posts
Best of luck! I find it refreshing to see more people who are willing to pursue careers that are tied to their personal interest! It's such a great feeling to work every day and actually enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My solution is: there is nothing more special about me than anyone else but some people are writers and some people are not. It must be a matter of choice, desire, hard work, confidence, and keeping that end in mind. :)
You can do it. C: I'm also excited for you.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
@marzipan01

oh don't get the wrong idea! sure helping people is a plus, but the main reason i'm pursuing psychology is to satisfy my curiosity :).. i've been wired that way all my life and if psychology wasn't an option for me, i'd mainly be pursuing other careers (teaching, journalism, charity) in order to quench my thirst for understanding people and using that knowledge practically.

and yes, i do notice that in the best stories, the best characters have a clear personality type.. people say you can't accurately type people in novels and films; i disagree, i think we're hardwired to pick up on types and whether they are realistic or not, and in order to create a deep and connectable character it very much helps to frame them using things like mbti.
i can't tell you how much i approve of your approach- my life philosophy is that when you want to achieve something it's all about gaining the skills and knowledge required whatever that may be, and applying them. if you want to be a billionaire for example you must prepare to learn the mentality and skills all successful businessmen have; this is the same, researching mbti for the express purpose of enriching character developments chimes so much with what i regard as the correct approach to life, sounds very "improve your life in 30 days! (retail price £19.99)"ish, but it's true..

and good luck.. instead of printing an appropriate cover, you should put a big cover with your dp on it so when we see it in the bookstore in a couple years we know it's yours!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Oh! Oh! I'm having a goal-gasm! oh...yeah...
Okay, I give up withholding information! I can't hold it anymore.
I'm going to be...
a writer.
Hahahahaha.
Doesn't sound too spectacular.
But JEE-USS!!!!!!!!!
The end in mind is: entertainment industry. dun-dun-dun.
I want to write things that make my mom go, "Klay-ruh!"
And she'll purse her lips into a scowl. And I will laugh and say, "Here's 200$, go get your hair done."
XD
Awesome!! If you want to write fiction etc my sister is on here and she knows tons about it! (laurie17 - you can find her in my friends)

I have no plan for my life Dx I hate having no idea what I want to achieve. I decided to learn bass guitar and actually stick to it. I'm drawing alot, but I havent managed to come up with a comic idea yet and don't know if I would ever draw one >_> I have a boyfriend but don't see myself staying with anyone for a long period of time. I have a course chosen in university but only chose it because I didn't know what to do XD
I'm completely scattered...the only thing I REALLY know I want is to move out of England and probably live in Canada.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Seems weird to be talking PRO goal setting in an ENFP forum (though I tip my hat to the OP who now has an aim in mind - I hope it works out!).

I chafe at the whole goal setting thing, except for mini goals along an otherwise preferred general direction without an ultimate fixed goal in mind That directionality is important, but allowing enough flexibility to take in the sights along the way, reserving the option to change direction now and then has been key to my life's happiness.

Besides, at 40+ I realize that, at the end of the proverbial rainbow is... more rainbow! (thank goodness - otherwise, once I reach a goal, life gets boring real fast).

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
For so long, I worried about what I had to offer. What was special about me that I could be a writer?
And I thought about that a long time. My solution is: there is nothing more special about me than anyone else but some people are writers and some people are not. It must be a matter of choice, desire, hard work, confidence, and keeping that end in mind. :)
So, this is my new theory, we'll see how it plays out.
XD
CONGRATULATIONS MARZI!! I am sooooooo excited for you. Now, get your ass in gear and do the doggone thing!! I believe in you. Make sure you use your hot profile pic on the cover of your book. Cause you definitely look like an award winning, best seller author!!! Thanks for the kick in the ass I needed. I will put that quote "Until I know where I'm going, I'm going nowhere" all over the place to remind me that I need to figure out where the hell I'm going. Your timing for this message is impeccable.

Thanks for the inspiration. And, I will see you at the top!!!! :laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts