Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I wouldn't even necessarily say im a bad liar, like if I am doing it with a goal in mind, say I want to prank someone I will dress the whole plot perfectly but a prank is pretty much the only scenario where I allow myself to lie lmao. Basically what happens is I will be challenged to present certain information e.g "Was it you who left that rubbish on the table" and what happens is that in my head, in that second I basically see all the possible ways lying could go wrong and at the same time I also realise the whole thinking process to get around it will result in me staying silent infront of the person which will look like I am lying anyways so thinking of the solution would be pointless so I basically realise my futility and give the honest answer and all that happens in the second after I am asked the question. T_T My friend basically does the same thing as me, however he has never explained what goes on in his head like I just did but he has the same result as me and I am sure he is either Ni auxiliary or Ni dom

I feel like Ni and Ti both have a part to play in this? maybe the first part is Ni picturing all the ways it can go wrong, and Ti is preventing me from being able to respond to the person accordingly like Te would allow me to verbalise a suitable lie without having to be deep in thought about it or internalize it into too much detail. Really not sure how wrong or right I am it was kinda just a thought I had lol so what do you think?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
Lying is a bad thing, isn't it? So it would be a moral dilemma, which would point at Fi.

If Fi is not part of your first 4 functions, in theory you should have less problems with lying. But regardless of where Fi is positioned. Lying is through knowledge considered a bad thing. So when someone lies, they have to somehow justify to themselves that it's ok to lie. If you can't justify it, you can't lie.

In your case, you probably believe that when you lie to someone, you´re doing him harm, which would be your (Fe) motivation to not lie. But if you don't care about someone, or hate his guts, you may feel no problem what so ever to lie to him. In other situations, you may believe that the lie won't be harmful to him, so you'll be ok with lying too. Ni has nothing to do with the motivation to (not) lie because it's a perceiving function. The best it can do is perceiving that you´re lying to someone. It won't judge you though.

I'm an INTJ, which puts Fi in the third position. Not the most important function but still it tells me not to lie simply because it's not right to lie. (so it's regardless of who I'm lying to.) But self-interest is important too of course, and if a lie can be justified, an INTJ will have no problem with lying either.

The important point here is that, as with many things related to cognitive functions, it's not about whether or not you'll do or believe something, but how you deal with it. So different types will have different reasons for not wanting to lie.

It's not about what function is better for something, but what function is used (preferred) to deal with something.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lying is a bad thing, isn't it? So it would be a moral dilemma, which would point at Fi.

If Fi is not part of your first 4 functions, in theory you should have less problems with lying. But regardless of where Fi is positioned. Lying is through knowledge considered a bad thing. So when someone lies, they have to somehow justify to themselves that it's ok to lie. If you can't justify it, you can't lie.

In your case, you probably believe that when you lie to someone, you´re doing him harm, which would be your (Fe) motivation to not lie. But if you don't care about someone, or hate his guts, you may feel no problem what so ever to lie to him. In other situations, you may believe that the lie won't be harmful to him, so you'll be ok with lying too. Ni has nothing to do with the motivation to (not) lie because it's a perceiving function. The best it can do is perceiving that you´re lying to someone. It won't judge you though.

I'm an INTJ, which puts Fi in the third position. Not the most important function but still it tells me not to lie simply because it's not right to lie. (so it's regardless of who I'm lying to.) But self-interest is important too of course, and if a lie can be justified, an INTJ will have no problem with lying either.

The important point here is that, as with many things related to cognitive functions, it's not about whether or not you'll do or believe something, but how you deal with it. So different types will have different reasons for not wanting to lie.

It's not about what function is better for something, but what function is used (preferred) to deal with something.
Yeah I see what you mean :) . The whole not lying thing defo not coming from a moral kind of perspective, its usually like I feel like the lying will lead to a bad scenario, I think its an environment kind of thing so yeah that is more Fe probably , however its not even like I dont want to try and lie I just realise that I cant do it effectively because I cant respond with a suitable lie (fast enough) that will prevent any bad scenario occurring haha so I basically have no morals just incompetent T_T

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Ni doesn't predict all the ways it can go wrong. This would be Ne inferior. Ni is more interested in the one most probable way something will turn out. Ne is about the possibilities (plural). Inferior Ne is about catastrophizing and finding negative possibilities where they don't exist.

In my experience, Fe makes bad liars.* (that is, if we think of lying as an intentional telling of mistruth)

Lying is a piece of cake. Telling the truth is the real challenge.
Totally agree. You have so much pressure against the truth. Everyone is against you when you tell the truth. It's way easier to just tell people what they want to hear.

edit:

*But there are multiple ways to lie.

Eight Types of Lies that People Tell

white lies--small fudges of reality to bring about social harmony--this is your Fe lie that everyone does. But maybe Fe types do it more.

broken promises--would assume this would be a low-order Fi lie. (or you could say a Te lie)

fabrications--saying something that you're not sure is true but passing it off as if it's true. This is probably your Ni "lie." Though often I think it is completely accidental.

If you're saying something that you know is not true--but just starting shit for fun--I guess anyone could do that. Whether it be sarcasm or intentionally trying to hurt someone. I would attribute the latter with unhealthy Fe--lying to hurt someone. And lying just to mess with people is probably more of a playful Fe.

bold-faced lie--this seems more like sarcasm to me. Which is typically intuitive.

lying in exaggeration--probably another Fe way to lie.

lies of deception--this seems very Te.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
What about lying to cover the arses of yourself and your friends? An Omertá, as it were. That's where I am pretty good at telling big lies convincingly. I put on this innocent face and take advantage of people underestimating my penchant for getting dirty and dishonourable. It's all very devious, but because it's essential, I don't have any problems. For there is more dishonour in being a tattle-tale, a turncoat, a snitch, an informer; than there is in being a liar.

Reactions: Baphomet

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ni doesn't predict all the ways it can go wrong. This would be Ne inferior. Ni is more interested in the one most probable way something will turn out. Ne is about the possibilities (plural). Inferior Ne is about catastrophizing and finding negative possibilities where they don't exist.

In my experience, Fe makes bad liars.* (that is, if we think of lying as an intentional telling of mistruth)

Totally agree. You have so much pressure against the truth. Everyone is against you when you tell the truth. It's way easier to just tell people what they want to hear.

edit:

*But there are multiple ways to lie.

Eight Types of Lies that People Tell

white lies--small fudges of reality to bring about social harmony--this is your Fe lie that everyone does. But maybe Fe types do it more.

broken promises--would assume this would be a low-order Fi lie. (or you could say a Te lie)

fabrications--saying something that you're not sure is true but passing it off as if it's true. This is probably your Ni "lie." Though often I think it is completely accidental.

If you're saying something that you know is not true--but just starting shit for fun--I guess anyone could do that. Whether it be sarcasm or intentionally trying to hurt someone. I would attribute the latter with unhealthy Fe--lying to hurt someone. And lying just to mess with people is probably more of a playful Fe.

bold-faced lie--this seems more like sarcasm to me. Which is typically intuitive.

lying in exaggeration--probably another Fe way to lie.

lies of deception--this seems very Te.
Yeah after you break down the different ways of lying its easier to see where I stand :)
I can do the white lie fine
but lie of deception and broken promises defo not!

the exaggeration lie I think kind of happens on its own when im trying to explain stuff but its not a strong occurrence its just something iv'e noticed before but I guess everyone pretty much does that I guess.

and as for fabrications, well I never really been in a situation where I needed to do that I don't think. It's pretty much any information I give to someone will be kind of what they expect or w.e, any real stuff that I really do want to talk about which comes from me I just keep it to myself so I never really have to fabricate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, being adept at telling lies is something you kind of accquire, which I imagine would be more difficult for an INFJ, as they have Fe aux and may be initially reluctant to do so. However, the combination of Fe and Ti can work well in the sense that Ti allows one to logically analyze and nit pick at the person being lied to, and Fe is great at manipulation and can detect how a person is feeling and if they're really buying the bluff. The key to a good lie may be to notice these subtle changes in body language and emotional atmosphere and essentially be reactive and hyper-aware of the other person.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Fe can be fantastic liars if they believe some good will come of it. Probably the best, actually. Heck, Fe doms can make a lie sound so good even if you know they're lying you still don't care. Not saying Fe's are just walking liars or anything, but I find them unquestionably more skillful at it than Fi. Fe can read people very well and instinctively know how far they can push the boundaries and/or who is more likely to be onto them.

On the other hand, Fi might *want* to lie more often in order to stave off bad feelings, but the conflicting values make for horrible execution of telling a lie, so it's ultimately pointless. Plus Ne paranoia of getting busted. Fi will more likely dance around something than outright lie about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.