Personality Cafe banner

Being a ISTP and dealing with ASSHOLES.

[ISTP] 
9K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  DocOc 
#1 ·
As a ISTP I'm pretty good at noticing what the person feels or his intentions when he says something. Problem is once I know this info, I fail to handle it for my advantage.

Example:

Scenario: Drinking alcohol at a house party with 15 people, and you can clearly notice some girls attracted to me.

X: bro why dont you drink alcohol?
Me: because I'm on diet, you know this muscles don't come without sacrifice.
X: You are a pussy!

Ok. So it's pretty much clear that the guy has a inferiority complex and specially when around girls, guys tend to alpha male other guys and tease more often. Specially if they are jealous or intimidated by your presence.

Problem is that I fail to handle this situations even though I know HIS intentions and end up being quiet which makes me feel like shit. And I really envy people how are quick and witty with comebacks and leave this guy in a bad place with a simple comeback.

Whats the best mentality or way to deal with this as a ISTP?

Ignoring is not the solution, tested first hand experience because they take you for granted and keep comming at you. And it sucks to know WHY they do it and not be able to handle and shut down the situation.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Another example:

Scenario: You go alone to the cinema, which society think is awkward, but you dont give a shit. And a known person comes up

X: Hey, how is it going blabalabalablaa...are you alone?
Me: Yep.
X: hahahah what? dont you have friends? hahahaha

You can clearly notice that the guy is jealous because you have the balls to do things that he cant do. But still I don't know how to put him in his place. I end up giving a poker face and being quiet, which makes me feel bad. I feel the need of facing him and make him feel like he is the inferior guy and not me. But I fail to do so.

#3 ·
Scenario: Drinking alcohol at a house party with 15 people, and you can clearly notice some girls attracted to me.

Me: because I'd hate trying to pick up these hot women with your body.
X: (Grumbles, walks away)

Scenario: You go alone to the cinema, which society think is awkward, but you dont give a shit. And a known person comes up

Me: Yeah, they pissed me off, so now they're in my freezer. (ISTP death stare.)
X: (Wanders off, thinking you're a (potential) serial killer.)

Alternatively:

Me: Nah, I just enjoy watching movies without mouthy [choice expletives] them up for me. (ISTP death stare.)
X: (Realizes how little you think of him, wanders off.)

Or finally, just give him a casual death stare, and hold it. He'll feel uncomfortable, and either apologize, or find somewhere else to be.

By letting him complete his loaded "questions/jokes", you're tacitly consenting to his behavior. Assuming pounding him into mush isn't an option, hit back with a pointed "joke" targeting his ego, or give him the thousand-yard stare that shows him how little you think of his behavior.

What's happening is he sees you as a challenger to his social status, so he's trying to make himself feel better by dominating you using bad jokes and embarrassment. Challenge him back in subtle ways, and he'll back off, because subconsciously he knows you're more capable than him.

#4 ·
@JB Nobody

I envy you, because in the moment I cannot think of those witty comebacks. The death stare is awesome, tried it, but I've forgot it for years. Will re-apply it for sure, since it comes natural to me.

Tips for developing a good skill at making pointed jokes targeting his ego?

Also, what do you mean by challenging him in subtle ways? Any example?

Finally giving him a thousand yard stare (which would be similar to death stare I suppose) and showing him how little you think about his behaviour isn't a paradox? Because if you wouldn't care about him, why look him?

Thanks again

#7 ·
@JB Nobody

I envy you, because in the moment I cannot think of those witty comebacks. The death stare is awesome, tried it, but I've forgot it for years. Will re-apply it for sure, since it comes natural to me.
Usually people like that repeat their same lame jokes over and over, so it's only a matter of time before you can use them again. Also, slow things down to your speed. He'll prefer making the jokes rapidly, so if you pause before you respond, and take a moment to remember not to play by his rules, it'll buy you the time to think of things to say back to him.

Tips for developing a good skill at making pointed jokes targeting his ego?
Depends on the person and the moment, but usually social situations are fairly repetitive, so think of a few now (what you would have said), and save them for later. Usually it's best to avoid anything fight-worthy (so you don't wind up looking like the asshole), with the aim of making people around you laugh at his expense. People like that are tremendously self-conscious, so ask him if he bought his clothes at a cheap store, point out a flaw in his haircut, the crappy drink he's drinking, etc. Basically, turn around his digs and put him in the uncomfortable spotlight.

Also, what do you mean by challenging him in subtle ways? Any example?
Treat him with all the respect of a scrap of crumpled up paper. The most effective is to talk to him like he's the least important thing you're dealing with at the moment, while simultaneously unnerving him by invading his personal space.

When he gets in your face with a dumb joke, pretend you're looking at something in the distance, and use the back of your hand to brush him aside. Reach through his space to grab a handful of snack food. Tell (don't ask) him to grab you a refill, then set it aside, to show him how little you think of his effort. Make sure it's clear you're imposing on him, not being flirting or friendly, and he'll want to back off to defend the integrity of his own space.

Finally giving him a thousand yard stare (which would be similar to death stare I suppose) and showing him how little you think about his behavior isn't a paradox? Because if you wouldn't care about him, why look him?

Thanks again
No paradox at all. Death stare is, "Are you dead yet? Do you want me to build you a coffin so you can go lie down?", while a thousand-yard stare is, "I'm dealing with important things right now, and you aren't one of them." You aren't looking at him, you're looking through him. Amplify the thousand-yard effect by focusing on something relatively trivial, like watching a raccoon dig through a dumpster.

More importantly, as others have said, keep those interactions with him in perspective. He'll be all but forgotten in five years, so don't let his attempts at screwing with you last longer than the interaction itself. He's the one seeking attention, so if you don't give him the satisfaction, he'll wander off to find another victim.

#5 ·
Ignoring usually works fine for me. My advice, stop caring. They probably keep coming at you because they can tell its bugging you.

Some random dude calls you a name or gives you some crap, so what? You know why youre not drinking. And if that isnt enough by itself, you know its just a gimmick. He doesnt know anything about you and you know that isnt true anyways.

Takes 2 to tango dude.

#6 · (Edited)
As a ISTP I'm pretty good at noticing what the person feels or his intentions when he says something. Problem is once I know this info, I fail to handle it for my advantage.

I am not trying to be a dick... But actually it took me along time to see that 'we' actually fail to understand much of this....
Inferior Fe and Deceptive Ne are two things striking against us. Usually Ne and Fe higher in stacking helping that.

I think our Se helps us adapt and find awareness in some of what you say. I was trying to explain that what your struggling with is because we can dilute ourselves to thinking we understand and grasp things that really are not in our ball park or specialty naturally. Which is probably why when we or if we over analyze an environment wrong we can end up not reacting appropriate.

The scenario you discussed even sounds like something I would have come to the same conclusion as well about the person and then I can go from either being quiet examining the person or I can end up exploding if I have a lot of rage calling them out.

Here is the thing tho is that in some cases we do take things wrong or misunderstand peoples communication, just as blunt as we can be and sound like asshole to people, well passive aggressive people can sound like major assholes to us.

I am not defending assholes or saying its all in your head or your imagining it I was trying to point out that some of that is behavior or communication differences as much as we sound like assholes when we say something coldly and are not always trying to other people sometimes do not realize how much they sound like assholes with passive aggressive comments or like you talk about.

I would love to tell you a great solution I would say with age its a bit better for me to try and remember the perception I have of something in my head and someones intentions is not always correct, and has allowed me to pause a bit more before I let something get to me, but it still is something I struggle with so I do understand. I am usually able to tune out most strangers or loosely associated people and take things with a grain of salt.

I will say where I get lost on response is with someone who knows me very well and knows how I receive information and exactly how their delivery comes across and they use passive aggressive tactic. I am saying like my mom or bestfriend of 15 years. They both have major Fi and I feel like I get cut with a knife with some of their tactic and am usually dumbfounded as that's like a sneak lurch attack on their part to be rude or hurtful and they know I am somewhat defenseless in such situations as I hide in my head or freak the fuck out.

I wouldn't necessarily call it ignoring just because you give your time and don't react right away. I prefer to leave people to their passive aggressive comments even if momentarily they get one up on me, because I hate when the beast in me comes out. It can be very useful in tactical situations, but usually situations like what we are talking about it is not useful. Why because I am like a dog I like to either lick a face or bite it. And I would rather not bite anyones face just because they are a rude careless dick. Even if it means I look like a pussy momentairily. If the beast gets unleashed in such situations then after its like damn why did you make me do that. Our bite is not nearly as calculating so there for rude or premeditated then some others, but our bite goes for blood when it does. That's what some other types do not understand for them passive aggressive things are like fun games.

Its the difference between a cat fight vs a dog fight. We are the dogs.They just playfully like to claw, and us dogs are sitting there like why the fuck did you just claw at me out of no where. We don't tend to know how to just claw back, we can either bite their head off or go hide lol.

You either gotta learn a few petty passive aggressive jabs to shut them the fuck up, ignore, or explode and teach them to STFU.

I recommend ignore or learning a few jabs that match their insult. Lol passive aggressive types are usually the best at starting shit and not being able to take it. I would be careful tho those types are often very into premeditating insult or injury or hurt if they feel inferior. So that's why a lot of times as well I think its better to ignore. They never know when to drop something as far as their ego goes.

#26 ·
We don't tend to know how to just claw back, we can either bite their head off or go hide lol.

You either gotta learn a few petty passive aggressive jabs to shut them the f* up, ignore, or explode and teach them to STFU.
I agree. I had to teach myself to go easy but i'm still not that good at it. I either laugh at it, deathstare people or answer rationally like i don't realise or don't even care about what they're trying to do. When i try too hard to answer this kinda stuff it turns into chaos. Everybody can keep hitting each other indirectly and no one bats an eye but then i take one shot at it and everyone looses their minds!

#8 ·
Rephrashed:

You: I'm on a diet, bro
You: Shoulder tap + Change your attention.

--

Rephrased:

You: Yep.
You:
*pause, while you turn your torso away from X*
*eyecontact 1.5 secs, a slight sigh/yawn then say "I do"*
*walk away*

:D

#28 ·
These are the best suggestions, because they use the clear detachment as a superiority, wordlessly saying "You literally don't matter to me - you're the little yapping dog, and I'm the big fucking lion - you are so far below me that you barely register, now off you go"

This tends to make them yell louder about what a pussy you are, and you shrug and smile, and in the end, they STILL appear as the small yapping dog, and you still appear as the big fucking lion who just doesn't feel threatened by their yapping.

#12 ·
Me: Do you have any friends? (make a really concerned expression, then smirk)

Me: You are what you eat.
(yeah but the joke doesn't make as much sense because you're on a diet....)

#13 ·
I think this is more enneagram 6 than ISTP.

Me: Are you a fucking retard? or just looking at him as if he's a stupid fucktard.

Me: Why would you want to send me naked pictures of your mother?

Just change the 'rules' of the discussion and steer it your way. Own it and own him.

#16 ·

I'm not sure what the best mentality for an ISTP is to have but I'd probably just say something like,

x: bro why dont you drink alcohol?
me: I don't drink because I keep track of my carbs/I don't want to.
x: You're a pussy!
me: Agreed.

You can clearly notice that the guy is jealous because you have the balls to do things that he cant do. But still I don't know how to put him in his place. I end up giving a poker face and being quiet, which makes me feel bad. I feel the need of facing him and make him feel like he is the inferior guy and not me. But I fail to do so.
I go to the cinema alone all the time and I actually don't give a shit.

Why do you feel the need to put him in his place? Just don't give a shit like you say you don't. It seems like you are the one with a complex(es).

Also, it doesn't even sound like the guy is being a dick. He's just making conversation with you and a lighthearted joke. If anything he probably feels bad for you.

I think you're distorting things out of your own insecurities... :rolleyes:

#18 ·

Ignoring is not the solution, tested first hand experience because they take you for granted and keep comming at you. And it sucks to know WHY they do it and not be able to handle and shut down the situation.
Ignoring is only the result of the real solution. Ignoring it alone won't provide you with any benefit.

You need to be Apathetic.

If someone wants to be an asshole, let them. Who gives a shit? You need to not care. Learn how to use your "care" instead of just always feeling compelled to say or do something to anyone and everyone. If someone is an asshole don't waste your breath, your thoughts or your voice on them. They don't matter. Spend your "care" on the people who do matter.

It's almost never worth it. Confrontation just makes you out to be something you don't want to appear to be and ultimately comes off as a challenge or ironically as weakness in the form of defensiveness and passive aggressiveness.

Don't pay attention to them. Don't even look at them. Just act like they are worthless and irrelevant, because they are.

#20 ·

Ignoring is not the solution, tested first hand experience because they take you for granted and keep coming at you. And it sucks to know WHY they do it and not be able to handle and shut down the situation.

Cheers

Let me at them, I've been told I'm sharp and fast with the comebacks :)

But in all honesty, I'd just pretend that they didn't even exist, like just walking away to get a drink of water etc.

People are only worth the time and energy you give them...if there's a hot chick checking you out, why on earth are you still talking to some no-brainer idiot..? smile at the girl, get some eye contact going and walk in to the kitchen, she'll probably follow you there and then the idiot guy who called you a pussy will soon realise (without words) that he isn't an alpha male.

#22 ·
Time to unleash some stinging poison here, I've thought of some beautiful comebacks for these scenarios:

Me: because I'd hate trying to pick up these hot women with your body.
Me: Not as pussy as you though.

Me: Oh don't worry, even if I don't have a single friend in this world, you will never have the chance to be my friend, I'd rather be friends with a dog than you.

#24 · (Edited)
I remember i was trying to learn something about dealing with people a while ago and i turned into a huge douchebag, because i tease in the most brutal manner ever, then i held back from whatever i was thinking about (propably wasn't a good mental tactic since i don't even wanna try to remember what it was) and it stopped.

The "mid term" i found was when i read an article about social banter, and the best way of dealing with it is not taking it seriously and either going along with the joke (makes you look like a good sport) without humiliating yourself, or doing a joke on the guy (but only if it's fun, it can't be a personal counter attack).

But i can't find good answers, so my take on it is to either laugh at it (only if you actually think it's fun though) or say something like "shut up man" with a half smile (jokingly) or if you really didn't like it just give them a deathstare until they change their mind (if they're still speaking)/ give them a deathstare and move on (this one makes people really uncomfortable, they're almost certainly gonna think about what they did). And when i say deathstare i refer to my usual "serious unexpressive face", if you're like me it doesn't even require much effort.

#25 ·
Here are more specific answers to the scenarios you posted, unsing the methods i explained in my last post.

X: You are a *kitten*!
Me: You are a liver! Oh no, wait...
(remember to make it sound like a joke and not a "chip on the shoulder" counter attack)

Me: I don't want anybody speaking to me in the middle of the movie, i can meet with my friends when i'm done here.
(this one is what i would answer but it's not a joke it's just truth '-' )

Note: When i say "make it sound like a joke" i'm not telling you to fake it, it's just that it should be a joke. Don't get easily offended, having a chip on your shoulder only makes things worse for yourself. That said, if you're mad let them know, if not then just have a good time.

#27 ·
There are a few techniques that I use in those situations to counter the person.
It somewhat involves taking what the other person said and use it against them.

Me: Because I don't to be a drunken fool like the person I see before me.
Of course no one really asked me that so I don't know how they would reply.

Me: I don't need to friends to feel secure unlike the person who asked me just now.

Or just outright say no with a comically serious face. No one really knows what to do with the comically serious person who are almost impossible to get a read on.

#30 ·
Way late to the thread, but...
I would agree with others that simply not caring would be best, but...
I often find replying with truth, which ISTPs are great at, can really cut to the center. ie. “I don’t need friends to come everywhere with me to feel important. I guess you do.” Or... if the “joke” is truly lame, which both were, I might just sarcastically comment, “Solid/solid joke” with that tone that says it clearly, clearly wasn’t.
Again, the later is what I would do, but I admire that ISTPs are often able to do the former so much more naturally.

#31 ·
When someone intentionally picks on you there is usually no way around it. Either tell him to fuck off and if he doesn't then you probably have to make him "feel" what you mean by that. Just try not to get into trouble with the law. A punch or two in the nose should do the job. If it's about office politics, then make arrangements for their departure.

For those who take us for granted, my default response would be "I don't know", "I have no idea", "Not an expert in this area", "so and so is more qualified to answer that and help you out", play dumb or whatever it is so they get nothing and give up.

There are quite a few people who used to come and ask me for advice time and time again as if you are some ATM at their disposal, they just come and think they can get sth from you and leave. Then one day I told them idk, they started pissing at me and asked why I don't know about anything. Just laugh it off and move on there are 6 billions walking and breathing on this rock it's not worth it.

#32 ·
When someone attempts to criticize you, they often expose their vulnerabilities. People will predominantly project their insecurities onto you in formulating their criticisms. To use the party example in the beginning, person X relies on alcohol desperately as a crutch. You can dispatch your assailants pretty easily with remarks about their issues, especially if it directly undermines their attempts to AMOG you.

#34 ·
What's an arsehole really? Sometimes I'm one imo… but no one seem to think so low about me except me.

I've meet one true arsehole in my life. I did what I had to do. Told her to GTFO before throwing her out.

Reactions: 30812
#36 ·
Why care? If you know why you're doing it, just say it.

Scenario 1:
Me: A pussy for showing discipline to attain my goal? You're the one doing the easy stuff. Just sayin'.

Scenario 2:
Me: Wait, so you are supposed to go with friends? I feel bad for not complying to the rule! *sarcastic tone*

Reactions: Ziegel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.