Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Si, as my tertiary function, the reason why I sometimes relive past memories in my head extremely vividly and find myself revisiting previous emotions and experiences frequently? I feel more prone to sit there and continue to laugh at something that happened days ago. I know it may sound a little crazy to some but I feel like Si is heavily responsible for being in my own head though my dominant and auxiliary is Fi and Ne respectively. I feel very weird doing that like it so abnormal to be so attached to previous to memories and spend so much time thinking about previous conversations I had, what random people did and randomly wondering about stuff I have read years ago. I am not obsessing with the past or whatever but it seems like it is its own past time for me. I have realised some people don't do this at all or very little and just kind of have a 'moving on' mentality as oppose to the way I think. I know some people who do that, not trying to be a snowflake here XD. Is this experienced by people who have Si somewhere amongst their other functions? I know that I put a lot of importance in things I have attained or remember as either memories or stories information and when someone else doesn't seem to appreciate the sentiment especially when it is related to them, I get a little sensitive. Sometimes I feel too sentimental and that I am the only weirdo who cares about that this or that as untrue that is probably is. (I hope)

Anyone can relate?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I often think about stuff that happened in the past, and also have good episodic memory(memory about stuff that happened). I think the way which my episodic memory is boosted comes from Si, because its the subjective stuff that i remember at first(the subjective parts of the experience i got from the situations that happened) and which are linked to the actual stuff that happened. But i do use Ti at times aswell to boost the episodic memory. If i have this scenario in my head that happened lets say 2 years ago and all of the associations arent completely clear in my head, i use logic to think about what a thing had to be, then i might remember some completely different side to all of it, which fills the picture about the past situation. But this logic thing i dont have to use often and only use when something is bit blurred and i can only retrieve a part of the memory.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l often get pretty obsessive with Si and l also tend to replay conversations, however, my long-term memory is non-existent so it's mostly with recent things.

What l do have are random and abstract associations from the past that are blurry, but will trigger nostalgia about certain time periods even if l don't remember them clearly, then l can become interested in that time period for the sake of it.

l think it's the natural relationship with Si/Ne, Ne doesn't do what it does without being triggered by Si IME. The inner dialogues are triggered by some kind of rumination and specifically making associations.

l've thought about how other types experience it, because to me that's just ''thought'' but l realize that people think differently. l'm sure Se/Ni does something similar.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I love my Si :D I think I'm really starting to appreciate it after I realized that it's what helps me a lot on doing musical things, remembering the details, reliving every poignant part of the song, remembering how to physically make the sound that I want, etc. I'm not good at incorporating theory even though I've learned it (sometimes it would limit me too much), so there are times when I would compose almost entire songs note by note: I'd try different intervals, replay over and over how they sound, and choose the one that would go towards the direction I like most. Lolwut. I'm also often told by my family that I like to repeat listening/watching/reading stuff. Can't help it, good stuff feel too good.

As with reliving events, I tend to forget the stuff that I can use to retell story (the obvious stuff) and remember only the small gesture that are particularly poignant and made me feel a certain way. And that memory might even come with the physical sensation. I feel the physical sensation as I relive the moment.

When it works with Ne, I can even make up some random fantasy in my head and imagine how stuff in the story physically feel based on the memories how I actually felt it in seemingly-irrelevant past events. Sounds fun but probably kind of dangerous if I decide to just retreat in my own fantasy world.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
That might be.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I find myself overcome by nostalgia at times, especially when visiting a place I haven't been to in a long time. I'm sure loads of people can relate to how strongly some memories can be evoked simply by walked through that door.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I want to know what Si is like in types that supposedly lack it in their function stacks. When I take CF tests I score pretty high on Si, like top-four high. And I find myself wondering whether it's true Si or just what I'd think of as Si as a non-Si user. (Same with Ti, really.)

True to form, sensory details can be overlooked by me in favor of what's intangible and in my head. I might be oblivious to the now moment or sensory data in general, and Se is well and truly inferior for me. But Si...

I wouldn't say that I pull up this vast library of detailed, vivid sense experiences from my past on a regular basis, but if I want to think about a past experience I can remember what it smelled/felt/tasted like etc. But more importantly, if something is different from the way I remember it, such as a recipe change or a pattern change, I will recognize it immediately. If I want to eat a certain dish I remember how it tasted before and will be perturbed if it comes out tasting different. Once I've set a precedent for something I tend to stick to that even if it was entirely arbitrary in the first place, like sitting in the same place in a classroom each time. If someone changes something in the environment like rearranging the furniture I will be unsettled for awhile and I certainly take notice.

If my body is experiencing a sensation, it overrides everything. If I'm cold, tired, very hungry, have to pee, in pain, or otherwise, forget about everything else. I hyperfocus on my body for changes in sensation or appearance (obsession with change and anxiety about health I suppose) which I understood was more of an Si thing. It does seem to have something to do with "consistency in experience" and avoiding chaos or danger.

I'm terrible at remembering trivia over the general concept of something, and obviously am better at synthesizing concepts (Ni) than remembering a whole database of facts about something. I'm big-picture over details for sure. And I'm overwhelmingly thought, concept, and abstraction over sensation or here-and-now. But I can be good at narrowing into details in certain situations, especially in sorting tasks or which one of these is not like the other type things.

So, there you go. I'd swear I have high Si (and if it matters I score somewhat close to the S side on the N/S division, although I think that's more Te than anything, as I get rather impatient with Ne and a lot of the N questions are decidedly more Ne flavored). I know that according to theory I'm "not supposed to do Si" but in practice when people actually take these tests they score high on all sorts of functions their type is not supposed to utilize, so I don't take modern CF theory as it stands as a hard and fast rule of what functions we actually use according to our type. That said...

Any other non-Si types do anything that looks like Si? Or am I way off and the above isn't Si at all? Maybe it's just a 5w6 Limbic J with anxiety thing, haha.

And yes, before anyone asks, I've considered at length types that use Si as a tertiary function and they are not good fits for me. Definitely not a P and definitely not much of an Ne user.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I store a lot of external information, and I associate certain sensations that occurred in a past event with this external information. Being in a place or seeing something can trigger a FUCKING TIDAL WAVE OF SUPER VIVID EXPERIENCES. I generally remember conversations verbatim, too.

It makes me really bad at telling stories, because I include a shit ton of useless facts and things about the events SURROUNDING the main topic. It's kinda bad.

·
Banned
981 Posts
Lol! I get a lot of "get to the point" looks from people, and I also hear things like;"How do you remember all this stuff?!"
I think it sometimes annoys NT friends.
:wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't say that I pull up this vast library of detailed, vivid sense experiences from my past on a regular basis, but if I want to think about a past experience I can remember what it smelled/felt/tasted like etc. But more importantly, if something is different from the way I remember it, such as a recipe change or a pattern change, I will recognize it immediately. If I want to eat a certain dish I remember how it tasted before and will be perturbed if it comes out tasting different. Once I've set a precedent for something I tend to stick to that even if it was entirely arbitrary in the first place, like sitting in the same place in a classroom each time. If someone changes something in the environment like rearranging the furniture I will be unsettled for awhile and I certainly take notice.

If my body is experiencing a sensation, it overrides everything. If I'm cold, tired, very hungry, have to pee, in pain, or otherwise, forget about everything else. I hyperfocus on my body for changes in sensation or appearance (obsession with change and anxiety about health I suppose) which I understood was more of an Si thing. It does seem to have something to do with "consistency in experience" and avoiding chaos or danger.
You being unsettled by environmental change might be a reflection of your discomfort with Se more than Si actually playing a significant role in your thought process. I think its important to factor in not just the frequency for which a certain process seems to occur but also your attitude towards a certain function. Someone with inferior Se might become distressed when something around them is changed because they generally want to avoid having to deal with whats in front of them, and thus develop habits that allow them to avoid being oriented by Se, like following a routine.

The part about hyper-focusing on bodily sensations to the exclusion of all else is probably inferior sensation in general. Sensation types wouldn't be as disoriented with trivial occurrences like having to go to the washroom or being hungry because they are used to working with their senses and thus can put these things in perspective. A dominant intuitive on the other hand downplays the importance of using their senses so when they actually are confronted with something immediate it becomes overwhelming and they might not adapt to it as healthily as sensation types.

I'm guessing the negativity surrounding the inferior function has to do with it being the gateway to the shadow. Our ego's are attached to the dominant function and don't want to be associated with the inferior, so when we actually need to use our inferior the ego might go into hiding (along with equanimity) and let the inferior function work with the contents of the shadow since our consciousness needs focus.

I know that I have a tendency to ignore Se and that confronting it when a need arises can be pretty ugly, especially when I wait too long since I become less used to balancing it with intuition. I might for example need to walk somewhere after a long period of existing in an introverted vacuum and be startled by the hardness of the ground, or how one of my legs seems to be longer than the other, or that the wind is making my jaw hurt. An intuitive with a more balanced inferior wouldn't get so locked into "Se shock" and be able to realize that while what is currently happening might be unpleasant, it will be short lived and is important to some larger event.

·
Registered
924 Posts
@Gromlin

"Se shock" is a perfect way to describe it! You're right, it does seem to come more as a defense against changes in environment that might disturb my intuitive obliviousness. And the bodily disorientation thing is right on. I don't trust my body at all and feel unnerved by its sensations, so rightly I hyperfocus on worrying aspects or external stimuli. Makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm an ISTJ, but I never quite understood the nostalgic thing people associate with Si.

I don't relive shit, for the sake of it. All I know is how things are supposed to be because that's what they have been.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm an ISTJ, but I never quite understood the nostalgic thing people associate with Si.

I don't relive shit, for the sake of it. All I know is how things are supposed to be because that's what they have been.
It's part of association.

Have you never relived an experience mentally before? It's not like it's super duper evident, it's flashes, but they're vivid flashes. I agree with what you said about how things are supposed to be because of how they have been, though.

Reactions: Herp

·
Registered
578 Posts
Is Si, as my tertiary function, the reason why I sometimes relive past memories in my head extremely vividly and find myself revisiting previous emotions and experiences frequently? I feel more prone to sit there and continue to laugh at something that happened days ago. I know it may sound a little crazy to some but I feel like Si is heavily responsible for being in my own head though my dominant and auxiliary is Fi and Ne respectively. I feel very weird doing that like it so abnormal to be so attached to previous to memories and spend so much time thinking about previous conversations I had, what random people did and randomly wondering about stuff I have read years ago. I am not obsessing with the past or whatever but it seems like it is its own past time for me. I have realised some people don't do this at all or very little and just kind of have a 'moving on' mentality as oppose to the way I think. I know some people who do that, not trying to be a snowflake here XD. Is this experienced by people who have Si somewhere amongst their other functions? I know that I put a lot of importance in things I have attained or remember as either memories or stories information and when someone else doesn't seem to appreciate the sentiment especially when it is related to them, I get a little sensitive. Sometimes I feel too sentimental and that I am the only weirdo who cares about that this or that as untrue that is probably is. (I hope)

Anyone can relate?
What you're describing is strongly linked to tertiary and inferior Si, I've seen lots of INTPs and INFPs report these types of flash backs. I'm not convinced though that it's limited to just them, I think it's possible that it could be an introverted intuitive thing, meaning INTJs and INFJs could be affected as well.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I think the order in which your Si function is counts and what functions are correlated with it. Like, INFPs will use Si in a different way to an ISTJ for example.
----------------

Interested in all the responses so far. And I think it seems intuitives generally use sensory functions as an accompaniment to their intuition. I wonder if Si provides meaning for the 'randomness' of Ne. Like it supports where Ne would make it connections for INFPs.

Reactions: Herp

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think the order in which your Si function is counts and what functions are correlated with it. Like, INFPs will use Si in a different way to an ISTJ for example.
I was thinking the same thing. Si is the most developed function for an ISTJ so the "nostalgia wave" probably won't be as familiar, because Si is mature. Its like how Ti is my default setting, half the time I am not even aware I'm thinking. When Si comes a long it's like a shock to the system and I get sentimental. If Si is your primary function, then you're just so attuned to it that you may not be aware you're doing it.

You also have to be aware that INTPs (possibly INFPs) may associate an emotional response along with their Si experience. This is because Si is effective in bringing out the Fe shadow (one of the few ways we "feel"). If I visit a childhood place that made me happy/sad the nostalgia and emotion come almost at the same time, like a package deal. I don't think a ISTJ would have a relatable experience, because their Si wouldn't connect to their feeling function the same way mine would. A primary user and a tertiary user of Si would have different perspectives of Si.

I'm only deriving this from personal experience as an INTP. Any other INTPs agree? I'm also intrigued to see if Si works similarly in an INFP.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking the same thing. Si is the most developed function for an ISTJ so the "nostalgia wave" probably won't be as familiar, because Si is mature. Its like how Ti is my default setting, half the time I am not even aware I'm thinking. When Si comes a long it's like a shock to the system and I get sentimental. If Si is your primary function, then you're just so attuned to it that you may not be aware you're doing it.

You also have to be aware that INTPs (possibly INFPs) may associate an emotional response along with their Si experience. This is because Si is effective in bringing out the Fe shadow (one of the few ways we "feel"). If I visit a childhood place that made me happy/sad the nostalgia and emotion come almost at the same time, like a package deal. I don't think a ISTJ would have a relatable experience, because their Si wouldn't connect to their feeling function the same way mine would. A primary user and a tertiary user of Si would have different perspectives of Si.

I'm only deriving this from personal experience as an INTP. Any other INTPs agree? I'm also intrigued to see if Si works similarly in an INFP.
I find that Si sort of agitates my Fi function. I'd be focusing on any stored memories or 'stimulus' and Fi just likes to come around and try to make it 'live' again. Si and Ne in my opinion are my super team for my brain. It is how I get my ideas and how I evaluate things. I get to make new connections with ideas and concepts and Si comes around and provides me evidence and support. I love my Si function to death in that respect. And then there is Si + Fi which a lot of the time, likes to fuck shit up and make me feel crap about things that have already happened and long gone. It is not always bad, it can be good but it can make it hard. Of course Si is not just about being 'nostalgic' or whatever but when it clashes with my feeling function, it gets ugly in that respect. With Te being my inferior function, I will be honest in saying I never really see much of an active role of that function so I couldn't say.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm not an Si-user, in fact that function is extremely alien to me. My grandma uses Si a lot, she has an extremely good memory when it comes to past holidays, countries she visited and food she ate there. She always makes associations with past events, e.g. whenever I tell her something I've learned in university about archaeology she starts talking about her holiday in Egypt twenty years ago. When we visit a place again that is linked to memories of her, e.g. the birthplace of my grandfather which she frequently visited in the past, she can imagine what everything has looked like, the houses and so on, although the landscape has changed completely, she still gets a nostalgic feeling and tries to share that with me, which doesn't work, unfortunately.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts