Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with both of these?

I'm an ENTP and love it, but I've been doing crappy for nearly a year now. I have idiopathic(read - Doctors don't know why) hypogonadism - For some reason or other, I have wicked low testosterone.

The results are I'm lazy, tired, and feel like crap more often than not. I'm getting synthetic testosterone, but I'm still on a weekly rollercoaster of feeling anywhere from crappy to decent.

I'm a senior studying Applied Math with 5 classes to graduation, and feeling sick is new and weird to me. I got sinus and tonsil infections frequently for a while, but that was a lot different. I wasn't exhausted, I was just sick now and then.

Any other ENTPs have strategies for .... losing your superpowers?

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I wish. If you find the answer(s), let me know. I'm in the process of being diagnosed with a mysterious auto-immune disorder. I suspect MS, but we'll see...

Anyway, be sure to take care of yourself. Are you taking the test via injections? I used to give those to an SO who had low test.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
In 2011, I suffered from hyper- and hypothryoidism due to subacute thyroiditis (which is basically a thryoid infection that leaves you screwed up for many months. In my case, about 20). I had such fatigue, just getting out of bed was too much of an effort...sucked that I was living alone in a foreign country. I feel ya, bro.

It altered my mind, too. I was definitely not a quick-minded, charming ENTP during this time. I sort of got around this by using brute force (my mood was altered into one of constant rage). Not sure how that'll help your specific case, though. Is the synthetic testosterone supposed to help you balance out eventually? I mean, there's hope, right?

I think you'll get your superpowers back eventually.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:
I hounded my doctors and got more blood work done. Don't know what yet, but two hormone tests came back abnormal, and I'm getting referred back to the endo.

Moral of the story:
Become a pseudo expert in whatever is ailing you or whatever you suspect is. Moreover, use your charm and wits to get people to listen to what you're telling them about how you feel.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another appt. with an endo tomorrow.

She ordered a bunch of blood tests, two came back abnormal.
TSH is high, Cortisol is low, Testosterone is low.

I'll update when I know more.
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is change your eating habits and go to the gym 45min to an hour 6 days a week or pick up cross fit. Then you'll feel better and enhance your super powers. Also look into supplements, you'll be surprised what certain supple,cents can do to your health in the positive sense.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Try training something... Like Yoga or MA... Can give energy. I have experience but of other life-threatening diseases at age 16-18. I do believe that you should find somethijg you really want to do and give it ago. You need a cause.... Exert yourself there.... And enjoy it.

Otherwise: Dont feel like you lose out on life. Use the time to get the edge of things. Plan and learn....

Life sucks when you are sick, but the knowledge that it will improve is a good beacon... When I come to think of it: Watch "Boundin´" by Pixar daily.... That should do it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was clinically depressed for a very, very long time, but didn't seek help because it started at the onset of puberty, and I thought I was just growning up--you know, getting mature like my introverted parents. And I was getting mature, but I was also completely losing my ENTP superpowers. I didn't get them back for FIFTEEN YEARS. Finally, four years ago, I started feeling actually good about myself and cracking jokes and being generally brilliant, and I suddenly remembered what it felt like to be five and have absolute confidence in my ability to solve any problem.

I was pissed. Furious at everything that made me forget who I was for half of my life. So, yeah, I completely know what you're talking about. Fortunately for you, you already know that you have a problem, and you know what it is and are getting help. That's the major thing. As for any tricks, well, I have one thing I did while I was rebounding back into myself, but I don't have any idea if it's replicable. It's worth a try, anyway:

I decided to be in love.

I knew it was totally doomed, I knew there was only heartache down that path, and I knew I was going to have to keep it to myself. But that's why it worked, I think. Choosing to fixate on romantic attachment fueled every hormone I could muster, effectively raising my baseline affective level. Given your situation, this will either be absolutely useless information, or extremely helpful. I hope it's the latter!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the stories of similar experiences. The "you're probably doing it wrong" is not helpful though - my nutrition is excellent, and my exercise has only been limited by my symptoms.

My solution so far has been to make myself an expert - to use my ability to become a "serial expert". It has helped me expedite things, and if I had listened to what I knew, I would have avoided having prednisone interfere with a cortisol blood assay. A doctor and the lab workers told me it was no problem, but my endocrinologist said it definitely interfered with the test, and now I'm waiting for another appointment after another round of labs....

The other thing I'm doing is minor stuff that makes me feel good. e.g. I wired up and hung a fluorescent light that I got for free from craigslist. Projects and whatnot... stay sane, and take care of yourself in the mean time.

·
Registered
Infp 4
956 Posts
Anybody have experience with both of these?

I'm an ENTP and love it, but I've been doing crappy for nearly a year now. I have idiopathic(read - Doctors don't know why) hypogonadism - For some reason or other, I have wicked low testosterone.

The results are I'm lazy, tired, and feel like crap more often than not. I'm getting synthetic testosterone, but I'm still on a weekly rollercoaster of feeling anywhere from crappy to decent.

I'm a senior studying Applied Math with 5 classes to graduation, and feeling sick is new and weird to me. I got sinus and tonsil infections frequently for a while, but that was a lot different. I wasn't exhausted, I was just sick now and then.

Any other ENTPs have strategies for .... losing your superpowers?
I've fought with that; I went through psychosis and I lost my ENTP ness; my mind acuity, my agility, my optimism and my quirky demeanor.
I become so sloth like that people around me bugs me for being slow and lazy. I almost think that I'm suffering retardation; I get very fidgety and I stutter a lot, I cannot create a coherent speaking, and I experience severe low self esteem.
But I'm gradually recovering, and eventually get to tip top shape. I believe you'll do too.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've fought with that; I went through psychosis and I lost my ENTP ness; my mind acuity, my agility, my optimism and my quirky demeanor.
I become so sloth like that people around me bugs me for being slow and lazy. I almost think that I'm suffering retardation; I get very fidgety and I stutter a lot, I cannot create a coherent speaking, and I experience severe low self esteem.
But I'm gradually recovering, and eventually get to tip top shape. I believe you'll do too.
Thank you for your kind words :) I believe you'll recover too. Being around people who support me really help me - people who bug me about it make me feel worse, so I try to avoid people who criticize me for it. I know medical issues are expensive, but I've found it a very worthwhile investment.
Cheers and a speedy recovery.

Reactions: VivianeScrooge

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got my re-test blood drawn Friday (took all week to get the lab order done/right, partly due to the Dr. being sick).

Hopefully I have some meaningful test results this week and can get seen pretty soon again by the endo.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update:

Testosterone: Levels are controlled with weekly testosterone cypionate, but this is going to make me INFERTILE if I don't supplement with HCG or switch off the T and go on Clomid. None of the doctors I've seen are willing to do this.
I've also had all my pituitary (anterior and posterior) hormones checked and they're all normal.
I'm trying to get an appointment with a local urologist.

Chronic Fatigue: Turns out, it's chronis sinusitis. I had a flare, went on antibiotics for a week, then it came back... back and forth, 3 antibiotics, and now I'm being referred to an ENT (Second time in my life something like this has happened, first it was tonsils. I wish sinuses could just be cut out like tonsils...). Polyps are suspected.
They'll do a head CT, which will work for several things - they'll look for polyps, "decreased sinuses" (swelling that has reduced the size of my sinuses), buildup from repeat infections, cancer/tumors, etc, but hopefully it will also give me a shot of my pituitary, and tell me if the sinus adjacent to my pituitary is infected (Sphenoid sinus, I think).

It would be really nice if both the low-T and chronic fatigue has been caused by some crazy sinus infection that can be killed (surgery will be required to treat most of the symptoms).
I'll post updates as things develop.
Giving myself shots really sucks, by the way.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Sounds awful, especially the concern about fertility even if you are way to young to want kids yet. However your possible cause of chronic sinus infection has some legs, I think, and I hope it turns out to be something as treatable as that. Keep us posted.

I don't really know what to do for lost mojo. Mine has disappeared somewhere under my kids' homework and need for support with exams, my husband's inability to find a job, and the crap on my daughter's bedroom floor (ENFPs....). Middle aged women belong only to others, it seems.

On the plus side I know when I win through and find my sparky little mojo nestling in a dark corner under two years' worth of tax bills (I visualise it as an impossible sleek futuristic gadget that changes form as you look at it) it will be raring to go, and it will be a case of world, look out! I hope yours will be the same.

·
Registered
298 Posts
IMHO, I think you should go to see a naturopath or a naturopathic doctor. There are a number of herbs which are very efficient at balancing hormonal levels in men or women (Agnus Castus, Saw Palmetto are some of them, see here : Herbs For A Hormone Imbalance In Men | LIVESTRONG.COM).
And also some other things to do like making sure the water you drink does not contain high levels of pesticides (water quality reports are normally available to the public).

Your sinus problem, together with your hormonal imbalance could suggest a candida problem. (Candida & The Endocrine Factor)

I've had this problem myself and really studied the subject in depth (actually ended up doing a course in naturopathic medicine lol). I then followed a strict anti-candida diet, and supplemented with B vitamins. You can sort it out in a clever way, without the so-called modern medicine, which will only suppress symptoms.
Unless you have something genetic, you can trust your body. With a little help, it will do the job.

Good luck :happy:

NB: antibotics/flare of candida in the ENT system/more antibotics just making things worse is the typical vicious circle as antibiotics only kill candida temporarily but in the long run make it stronger by killing other body flora. And btw, checking food intolerances will help too (especially to milk) but if you follow an anti-candida diet you'll have to exclude milk for some time anyway.
Don't hesitate to ask for details by PM if you need some.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
What are your diet and exercise strategies?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Diet: pescaterian and gluten free (celiac's). Lots of veggies, fruit, tofu here and there, beans, rice and some quinoa. Diet's boss, as far as I know. And every Dr. I've asked about not eating meat affecting testosterone has said that idea is BS. Seems like it's BS to me too.

Exercise: too ill to exercise for the last 3 months. Before that, biking a lot, working around the house and on my cars and motorcycles. I delivered appliances all summer by team-lifting them with a strap over my shoulder. Lost a pants size and gained 10 lbs of muscle doing that.
I started going to the gym just before all this sinus stuff started. It's been literally plastering me into bed. I want to work out, I just feel too sick to at this point. Sometimes, walking the half mile to campus sounds like too much work.

Regardless, I'm just trying to keep this thread updated so anyone else who stumbles on it in the future knows the conclusion and what worked out. I'm not looking for advice anymore, unless it's on how to get a Dr. to prescribe me something for off-label use.
@alfreda Thanks for the encouragement :) I hope you can find your libido, wherever it's hiding, and that it's just on a back burner because you're so busy. Don't wait too long though, maybe there are 15 minutes a day hidden somewhere that you can manage to enjoy, even if it's a back massage and your mojo goes unused.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Alright I'll skip the advice on diet and exercise.

Libido = need more Zinc in the diet for those who suffer libido problems. Meat or supplements is the cure.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Aha. Slight translation issue for this multipurpose word....I think of my mojo more as joie de vivre, not libido specifically....but thanks.....incidentally I have noticed that when libido is low (any woman with two toddlers to care for will know where I am on this) supplements do help. Hadn't narrowed it down to zinc, have taken multivit/trace element combo, but could well be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts