Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of hostility towards Catholics on forums. I recently was talking to the RCIA teacher of my church. Turns out he was Atheist befor he was Catholic. He is a great person to have a debate with if you're anti-religion. My point with him is that he also noticed hostility towards Catholics on forums. I guess I don't understand the hostility. Some have told me that the Catholic church hates gays. I know that's not true. In fact I sat next to two very nice gentlemen that were gay at my church. They were both Catholic ...
I really don't understand the hostility towards Catholics and I was hoping some of you could give me some good input. I would greatly appreciate it :)

-Taylor

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's a different perspective.

It's not just that there is only hostility towards Catholics. There is hostility everywhere, which I believe is the natural compliment to the philosophical peace that we all desire. You being Catholic does not make you an easier target say compared to, a person of a certain "race," gender, MBTI type, or sexual orientation. I do agree with you that there is hostility towards Catholics but since you've mentioned religion, you must also assign a equal probability of hostility to race, sexual orientation, gender, etc (ad infinitum).

Living an identity based on a central and/or institutionalized ideal, in my opinion, is not healthy. Once again, I do agree that there is hostility towards Catholics but it is not specific to only Catholics and happens all the time with MBTI types, sexual orientation, gender, "race," social class, intelligence, etc (ad infinitum).

·
Registered
287 Posts
.... In fact I sat next to two very nice gentlemen that were gay at my church. They were both Catholic ...
Okay, before I respond to your general question shortly, I need to ask, are they a practicing gay couple? I'm a little fuzzy on doctrinal specifics, but if they're openly gay they're not supposed to receive the holy sacrements. If they have homosexual tendencies but are supressing them, that may work for God, but it isn't really fair to them. I know there is a 'love the sinner, hate the sin' approach, but one can't be actively gay and actively Catholic in the eyes of the Church.

Unless you belong to a really liberal Church that doesn't listen to the Vatican.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think the hate is aimed and (usually) perpetrated by the fundamentalists of each and every side. There are some crazy Catholics out there just like there are crazy atheists, Jews, Muslims etc.

However I think on the internet a lot of the hate from the general population is aimed at the fundamentalists regardless of which religion they happen belong to.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, before I respond to your general question shortly, I need to ask, are they a practicing gay couple? I'm a little fuzzy on doctrinal specifics, but if they're openly gay they're not supposed to receive the holy sacrements. If they have homosexual tendencies but are supressing them, that may work for God, but it isn't really fair to them. I know there is a 'love the sinner, hate the sin' approach, but one can't be actively gay and actively Catholic in the eyes of the Church.

Unless you belong to a really liberal Church that doesn't listen to the Vatican.
I didn't ask them any questions ... So who knows? That's their business. As a Catholic I see it as we all have our own journey. Many things in life are not fair. That's life. If life were fair .......................... Just imagine.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,383 Posts
Here is an argument put forward by the brilliant Stephen Fry....warning it does for nearly 20 minutes. I thought it was worth it.

[video=dailymotion;xbvr0m]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbvr0m_shortfilms/[/video]

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's a different perspective.

It's not just that there is only hostility towards Catholics. There is hostility everywhere, which I believe is the natural compliment to the philosophical peace that we all desire. You being Catholic does not make you an easier target say compared to, a person of a certain "race," gender, MBTI type, or sexual orientation. I do agree with you that there is hostility towards Catholics but since you've mentioned religion, you must also assign a equal probability of hostility to race, sexual orientation, gender, etc (ad infinitum).

Living an identity based on a central and/or institutionalized ideal, in my opinion, is not healthy. Once again, I do agree that there is hostility towards Catholics but it is not specific to only Catholics and happens all the time with MBTI types, sexual orientation, gender, "race," social class, intelligence, etc (ad infinitum).
I sorta agree with what you're saying, but I've notice a difference on the web and so have others I've spoken with. Catholics are attacked on the web. More so than any other type you have described. I've noticed over years of obsrevance. Wait and see what happens here. I hope it doesn't ... but you never know.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I didn't ask them any questions ... So who knows? That's their business. As a Catholic I see it as we all have our own journey. Many things in life are not fair. That's life. If life were fair .......................... Just imagine.
The thing is, it's NOT an individual journey. It's an embrace of faith within the embrace of the Catholic community. You want to be part of the community, you live by their rules. Your simple tolerance of the fact that they may be a couple would see you being denied Communion by many priests and shunned by a LOT of Catholics for being so permissive.

Please note, this isn't intended as a series of attacks, or an attempt to disuade your from your faith. Any faith with over a billion practicioners is bound to have some divergence. However, there is a doctrinal norm laid out by Rome, and your fellow parishoners may well be in flagrant disregard of that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is an argument put forward by the brilliant Stephen Fry....warning it does for nearly 20 minutes. I thought it was worth it.

Dailymotion - The Intelligence² Debate - Stephen Fry (Unedited) - a Film & TV video
Well, he has no PhD ... The Catholic church is one the BIGGEST donaters of money in the entire wold. THAT is a fact. The dude was just an actor/writer ...

If you talk to a preist the baptism thing is BS. :) The Catholic church moves with the times .. :)
That was a VERY fine example of how people are totally cluless of what it is to be Catholic and what we believe.

I thought someone of HIGH intelligence was going to be speaking :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is, it's NOT an individual journey. It's an embrace of faith within the embrace of the Catholic community. You want to be part of the community, you live by their rules. Your simple tolerance of the fact that they may be a couple would see you being denied Communion by many priests and shunned by a LOT of Catholics for being so permissive.

Please note, this isn't intended as a series of attacks, or an attempt to disuade your from your faith. Any faith with over a billion practicioners is bound to have some divergence. However, there is a doctrinal norm laid out by Rome, and your fellow parishoners may well be in flagrant disregard of that.
Umm are you Catholic? I live by NO rules :)

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,383 Posts
Well, he has no PhD ... The Catholic church is one the BIGGEST donaters of money in the entire wold. THAT is a fact. The dude was just an actor/writer ...

If you talk to a preist the baptism thing is BS. :) The Catholic church moves with the times .. :)
That was a VERY fine example of how people are totally cluless of what it is to be Catholic and what we believe.

I thought someone of HIGH intelligence was going to be speaking :)
*leaves* :)

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
The only thing I love about Catholic churches is the ability to have sex in the confessionals!

TIME FOR CHURCH!!!

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
And like I said.

By the way:. Issac Newton was a christian :)What was his IQ? And I could name many more to date ...

It was a nice chat people :) Uneducated, but nice :)

I had hope for more than ...
If you "live by no rules" then you are in no meaningful sense a Catholic. Spiritual solipsists with no regard for the actual tenets of their religion have no right to defend it.
Don't get on here pretending to want answers when all you want is self-righteous vindication through puerile passive-aggressive sarcasm.
Not amusing, and most certainly not impressive.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The Catholic church is one the BIGGEST donaters of money in the entire wold.
D-o-n-o-r-s. Not "donaters".

The Church's doctrinal malleability over time is one of the things I criticize. If one claims to hold the ultimate truths then there is no reason to alter those truths even in changing conditions. The phrase God works in mysterious ways got replaced with science, but Christianity continues to pose as legitimate. This is not surprising though, as Christianity morphed out of and stole from Pagan beliefs.

By the way, I call "troll" on Taylor2005.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts