Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i never get angry, but i get annoyed often.. It takes a shitload if beng annoyed ti turn into anger.

Today, my family was annoying me, mostly my little brother, who is 12. Ive got a ps3, which is hooked up in the living room for netflix, and my little brother plays it too much. If he isnt playing the ps3, he is annoying the fuck out of people' or just constantly bitching at me.

Lately, ive been stressed out and sleep deprived due to my incompetent professors screwing me, and others, over with surprise due dates. I dont use the word "incompetent" much, its an internet douchebag word. So on the weekends i sleep until like 2pm, sleeping 12+ hours. I get up, eat, and play some call of duty or skyrim. 30 minutes later, my brother gets home from baseball practice, "ohhhh mattt let me play youve been playing since i was gone!"

So i have to surrender the TV hah. I have no choice. My mom isnt exactly good with discipline and is an advocate of denial, so if my bro whines enough, she gets on my ass and starts yelling to let him have the TV. My little brother would be a great fuckin lawyer, holy shit. I guess ive taught him well, as far as that goes, but he mixes that with lying, exagerating, and being like the little douchebag bully kids you see in funny memes....point is, he is manipulative.

I dont know if anything ive said so far makes sense, but i got really annoyed because i feel like shit. I made the mistake of expressing how i feel, and that got me into trouble, so i just went into my room, right now, took the ps3 with me, blowin off some steam playin call of duty.

I dont usually go into my room, i usually try to solve the problem, which doesnt usually work if its just with my mom and brother. She gives into his emotional appeal, and agrees with apeverything he says.

Its like im constantly taking shit, fromm everybody. I dont usually react much because i know why my family. Members are constantly giving me shit, about everything. They are very unsatisfied with life, but dont do anything about it. I mean, at least i tell them when im unsatisfied with life. They always need someone to blame things on, or someone to talk shit to. Guess im the "Jesus" of the family!!!! hohohoooo! Taking shit so other people can feel good. It just gets too heavy sometimes.

So what do you guys do whe you are being bomboarded with criticism and distrust fromm your family members? Its gonna be a long fuckin summer.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Ask first what you are contributing to the situation, and if you can change that: because you can only change what you do, not what others do...and if that doesn't work, walk away as much as you can.

That's it.

Oh, if you want some advice on negotiation: deal with your brother. "I am using the kit now, and I will have another 30mins, then you can have it for an hour. After that it's mine again"...and don't hand over the controls until you have a deal.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask first what you are contributing to the situation, and if you can change that: because you can only change what you do, not what others do...and if that doesn't work, walk away as much as you can.

That's it.

Oh, if you want some advice on negotiation: deal with your brother. "I am using the kit now, and I will have another 30mins, then you can have it for an hour. After that it's mine again"...and don't hand over the controls until you have a deal.
thanks.....this motherfucker is ruthless. He will turn off the system while im playing, and he will just ignore me....and theres nothin i can do...ddamn

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
How old are you? You sound old enough to not have to wait long before you turn 18 and will be able to get the hell out of there.

But your OP is the reason I'm so glad I never had siblings...I don't think I would have handled things like that as well... I'd probably have slapped the brat, lol.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im alright with constructive criticism, but meh, sometimes criticisms, especially illogical ones annoys me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Constructive criticism is fine, but for the most part I ignore people's criticism, because quite frankly, I don't consider their opinions on the topics that they're criticizing me on to be valid. If you're gonna provide criticism/advice, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Constructive criticism is fine, but for the most part I ignore people's criticism, because quite frankly, I don't consider their opinions on the topics that they're criticizing me on to be valid. If you're gonna provide criticism/advice, at least know what the hell you're talking about.
Thats exactly what im fuckin talkin about. So many people talk shit, and have no idea what they are saying. When people do that, I help them form a valid argument against me...pisses them off. Hard to do when someone is using an emotional appeal though, but then i just realize that only THE WEAK use emotional appeals.

·
Registered
651 Posts
When I was 17 and couldn't take my step-dad's shit anymore, I moved out. It's as easy as getting a steady job and having trustworthy roommates.

Family is still family, but when they are conditioned to act a certain way because it's the easy way out (emotionally or whatever), then it's time to sever those conditions. You don't have to destroy your relationships, just establish some kind of psychological space away from them.

My brother is the same way, persistent to the point of my wanting to choke the life out of him lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
There are a few different brands of criticism:

1) "I'm jealous of you" criticism.
2) "I think you're too full of yourself" criticism.
3) "I'm just generally in a bad mood" criticism.
4) "I genuinely want to help you improve" criticism.

I only give a fuck about the latter, the rest is moderately irritating but I've become pretty good at letting it slide off

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I like constructive criticism "if" it's going to help me gains better understanding of what I should logically change.

I am 38 years old and still don't enjoy random cricticism from my mother. For example "I don't like your hair that color" and I'm thinking "who asked you?" but what I really say is "it's a good thing it's not your hair then". Or "you should never drink diet drinks because the aspartame is going to kill you" and my response is "so is that half a pie you just ate and your diabetic". My mom never comes up with anything exceptional or constructive as far as criticism goes plus she lacks great communication skills. She could almost get away with the criticism "if" she could communicate it differently. Sounds immature coming from a 38 year old woman, but sadly, it is true...my mother annoys me.

However, my response to this is dependence creates less responsibility for your own decisions and thoughts. When you live under someone else's roof then you have to live by someone else's rules. If you want out from under that you have to make a decision to leave it all behind and go on about your business. That gives you more control of choosing what you want to deal with. Freedom is balanced with responsibility.

And last but not least...little brothers who are spoiled are definitely annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts