Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Just wondering if being artistic and scientific mind is common? I'm a musician and compose my own songs but I also like programming and let's say 'logical' thinking, eg. I have an idea of program and I think hard how to write it. I'm not brilliant at any of these disciplines but quite good as I think. At some time I feel I'm a programmer, another I'm a musician. I switch between this hobbys. I can be totally non realistic dreamer but a moment later a realistic pragmatist. I often see how other people's ideas unrealistic are but then I start dreaming too :) It's hard for me to indentify myself :(

What about you - do you experience something like that? What do you think about it?

And sorry for my poor English.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
You're just a creative, that creativity can channel itself any number of ways. I'm much in the same boat and often described myself the same way.

Science and art don't have to be mutually exclusive. Look at Leonardo DaVinci. In many aspects, logic and creativity are co-dependent on each other.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These theories and especially some of their interpretations are just so much more simple than reality that people get confused if they take it all too literally. Why couldn't someone show both scientific and artistic potential?

I have noticed that people who can value both live more fulfilling life. I by myself despised arts when I was younger thinking it was such a waste of time and resources. Nowadays being older, I still find science to be way more important for everything here to work but I can enjoy and appreciate some kind of art too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi!

Just wondering if being artistic and scientific mind is common? I'm a musician and compose my own songs but I also like programming and let's say 'logical' thinking, eg. I have an idea of program and I think hard how to write it. I'm not brilliant at any of these disciplines but quite good as I think. At some time I feel I'm a programmer, another I'm a musician. I switch between this hobbys. I can be totally non realistic dreamer but a moment later a realistic pragmatist. I often see how other people's ideas unrealistic are but then I start dreaming too :) It's hard for me to indentify myself :(

What about you - do you experience something like that? What do you think about it?

Hey there! I wondered this too because I study Natural Sciences and Political Sciences at the same time, and I draw, I play guitar and piano, I write... All those things are all important for me and almost in the same weight. It'd very hard to manage my time and my energy for those two fields I follow in college, but I can't give up on any of them. If I didn't do one of those things, I would totally freak out. But sometimes I have hard time of doubts about what I am really meant to be. Am I a Nature or a political scientist? Am I an artist? Can I be all of them?I need some help too.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hahhahha, you remind me of my INFJ best friend, he is also a programmer and a musician. On one hand, he is very scientific and logical, and on the other he is creative, sensitive and spiritual. Who says you have to be one or the other? You can be anything you want :) I'm both, too :)

Reactions: ilia

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Everybody uses thinking and feeling fairly regularly--obviously, as everyone has both a thinking and a feeling cognitive function. I think the best way for you to figure out on which side of the dichotomy you fall is for you to analyze your thought processes during programming and composing.

If you are a feeler, you likely compose music easily by putting your feelings onto paper in the form of musical notes, but your programming ability is dependent on your mood (ie. if you are feeling especially sad or frustrated, your logical thinking ability will take a toll).

If you are a thinker, you likely find programming to come naturally and find the logical steps involved refreshing, though you compose music by thinking about which note logically comes next in the sequence (as opposed to spilling out whatever "feels right").

Those are just a few examples, but try to recognize which function is most preferred. Everyone can think and feel, but one of those is going to be biased by the other.

Reactions: Bahburah and ilia

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I think it is okay if art comes from the heart as well as the mind.

I wouldn't hold it against researchers for loving what they do either.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts

Yeah, I'm like this, in that I am obviously logically/scientifically minded, but I spend most of my time on artistic pursuits. On the plus side, it means that I'm probably able to approach it from a different angle than most people would and come up with something that would be very different to what a lot of other people come up with. On the minus side, it means that I fundamentally don't have a lot in common with the kinds of people who have the same artistic interests as me, which can sometimes be frustrating. I don't think of music as having anything to do with any kind of feeling or emotion...for me it just feels more like I'm solving maths problems. Someone else who is trying to think of what chord to play will work out which chord to play next by going 'what sounds good?', whereas I'm more inclined to think 'if I play X chord here, then the numbers will add up and it follows from that that this chord must sound good so I can play it and not even really listen to it but I know it'll sound fine'. It's very difficult to describe, I hope that makes sense.

I like what Thelonious Monk says. "All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think the artistic/scientific mind thing is really too uncommon. I love drawing, but I think I tend to go about it in a very INTJ kind of way, meaning that I'm always trying new ways of drawing or coloring or shading or whatever to see what works best. I'll also see my drawing from a logical perspective, like "I used a blue shade here, so I have to use a more purple shade here if I want it to look harmonious." or "This line is the one that's wrong, I need to draw it more in this way" and then I proceed to redraw it about 20 times.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yup. I surprise my fellow art classmates about how I bring logic into my conceptual works (like I used this color v because "w", did "x" because it implies "y", and as a whole because of the sum of those pieces it means "z"). Most of the people around me when I presented are ISFPs and all I got from their response is head-scratching. Though I do also scratch my head at their value-dominated work, too.

Art and physics double major. Love the creativity; love the science and I see no need to separate them. Ideas in both physics excite me as much as art.

I know several INFJ lit major friends of mine who study programming. I gush over their textbook, thinking about how I lack the patience to properly code [even though I have taken several online courses about programming]. My first reaction was "This book is beautiful!" Only a thinker would say that a programming textbook is beautiful; the INFJs were perplexed and in mutual agreement at the same time. lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you are a feeler, you likely compose music easily by putting your feelings onto paper in the form of musical notes, but your programming ability is dependent on your mood (ie. if you are feeling especially sad or frustrated, your logical thinking ability will take a toll).

If you are a thinker, you likely find programming to come naturally and find the logical steps involved refreshing, though you compose music by thinking about which note logically comes next in the sequence (as opposed to spilling out whatever "feels right").
Hi! Thanks a lot for this! I had a hard time to see wheter I'm a feeler or a thinker, but now I can see that I'm actually very feeler! Depends on mood. I think this is the keywords.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I wouldn't separate ways of thinking so rigidly. Can there not be a logic to art. or an art to logic?

Reactions: Bahburah

·
Registered
4w5
1,535 Posts
Creative people tend to be good at many different subjects. As a child, I was extremely good at drawing and creating worlds that seemed alive to me. I was also good at logical problem solving where you get hints and tips and have to solve who and which and what and where, only starting out with the knowledge given from the hints. (I stopped being good at this as I grew older, now I would suck at it, unfortunately.) I think as you grow older, you grow more in certain areas you find greatest interest in and from that, you keep growing. I think it is possible for humans to have several sides of themselves. You say you have a scientific and dreaming side of you. Many people have different sides of themselves that they show in different situations, either when needed, necessary or when they want to.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes, I have two degrees - one in a natural science, one in performing arts (and I got very close to a third one in psychology, which I abandoned just before my dissertation because it got too much whilst working full-time).

I don't think it's that uncommon. It's just creativity, mixed with intelligence (possibly ;)), mixed with curiosity/an inquisitive mind.

This strict separation never made sense to me, and it also doesn't make sense from a neuroscientific point of view. It always gives me a headache (no pun intended) when people start blabbering about the "left and right brain", and how artists/musicians are "right-brained" and scientists "left-brained". The brain doesn't work that way, it's utter tosh.

Thinking and feeling as cognitive functions also don't necessarily mean you have to be one or the other. They are judging functions; a feeler is not necessarily more "emotional" and therefore more prone to be an artist. It just determines how you approach arts and/or science. On top of that, the "feeler/thinker"-line of reasoning also completely neglects the importance of the perceiving functions.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was heavily arty as a child and now i'm a genetics researcher. I think it's quite common in INFJs and INFPs. Actually lots of other scientists i know are also arty or creative. Creativity is a massive bonus.

You get your hard logic scientists, you get your creatives, you get your "hard slog" scientists, you get your "media whore" scientists and you get the odd mechanical minded practical scientist.

Seriously i've found my logic and problem solving is always slightly below any of my hard logic peers, but i compete with them with instant eureka moments, better writing style and thinking up the big picture ideas.

It takes all sorts and all the better for it! In fact the typical INTJ scientist stereotype you find everywhere is far from the actual scientist flora (though they do of course usually make awesome scientists :tongue:).

Reactions: piscesfish

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hey I'm a musician as well and I be creative & critical at the same time when I create music.
lol I can't stand working with musicians who aren't critical of themselfs.

What I mean by being critical is that while you're freely think of creative ideas you take whats worth of them and try to use the only best ideas, how you determine what is a good idea or not it up to your intuition.

This is what seems different to me about working with some people who don't do this.
It seems as if they think that being creative is just creating without some sort of filter. Because they think a filter is a bad thing, they want to create freely and not be judged. To me the filter is one of the most important parts because that is the general idea of the project, and most times when you limit yourself it forces you to be more creative.

Lol I kind just vented a bit there but my point is that it's a good thing to use both sides of your brain when being creative, especially with music seeing as it's subconscious math.

I don't see where some people get the idea that being logical isn't creative...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well art and science are my two main passions in life. I think they go together quite well. Scientists need some creative thinking and an open mind, and artists have to learn technical elements involved with creating.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm a programmer too. You can be artistic in this field if you want to. I love developing websites because I can get creative with it. I love music but I can't play any instruments :bored: Mostly because I wasn't allowed to learn any of them when I was younger. I tried to compose music when I have free time. I have so many ideas when it comes to music in my head but it will be a while before I can execute them with any real instruments. I also want to be a writer (I want to be so many things lol). It's also a slow process because of my studies.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Science and art are often viewed as polar opposites, but that's really not the case. Both are working to make something significant out of minimal beginnings (a study from data, a painting from paints). Science and art can be very exact, or rather approximate. The fields are very extensive, with many specialties. Both require creativity.

If there is a rift between scientists and artists, it is due to differences in interests, not skill sets or abilities.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts