Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my friends think I'm way too far from being awkward lol.
I'm loud and I like to make bad jokes. But then. . .

when it comes to new people, I get really weird?
I try to be funny but then they look at me like I'm an alien on crack.

How do ya'll make new friends? What's the method?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I try to be funny but then they look at me like I'm an alien on crack.
This. This is so me!
I am exactly the same, when it comes to meeting new people and trying to make a good impression, I end up saying stupid things, stumbling over my words and failing at being funny. I'm so used to it now I just expect it and I've stopped caring, haha. At the end of the day, I feel like I don't really need new friends because my friends are so awesome.

I do enjoy meeting new people, I like to learn things about others and it's quite interesting to hear about other people's lives and stuff. But I get the exact same problem you do, where you try to be funny but they just look at you like you're nuts... So you sort of look at the floor and don't say anything else! The way I make new friends is to adopt the attitude "I am who I am, if they don't like it, they won't be a good friend anyway." Either that, or I try and put on a front and pretend I'm this outgoing, talkative person that I'm not, and just not make jokes and try to be funny, because the best humour comes without trying, generally!

It's not easy as I tend to have a natural instinct to try and 'fit in' and be liked by people, but I often find myself feeling alienated, like I'm not one of them and they just think I'm some weirdo.

Ah well, life goes on! :laughing:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either that, or I try and put on a front and pretend I'm this outgoing, talkative person that I'm not, and just not make jokes and try to be funny, because the best humour comes without trying, generally!

It's not easy as I tend to have a natural instinct to try and 'fit in' and be liked by people, but I often find myself feeling alienated, like I'm not one of them and they just think I'm some weirdo.

Ah well, life goes on! :laughing:
My life. Lmao. I have a need to make new friends all the time because as much as I love the people in my life already, I just want a big social network. Plus I'm starting college in a couple of weeks. All the time, when I go on instagram and see people with new friends this, new friends that, I just start to hate everyone lol.

I don't understand why other people with even worse humor. . . why it works for them and the people they're trying to be friends with look at them like they're the greatest thing in the world. I DON'T GET IT AT ALL.

Maybe I am an alien.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't understand why other people with even worse humor. . . why it works for them and the people they're trying to be friends with look at them like they're the greatest thing in the world. I DON'T GET IT AT ALL.

Maybe I am an alien.
I have this too! I always find that people laugh and joke more at the people that just aren't funny, and when I say something I think is funny, nobody even cracks a smile. It's frustrating!

I feel the same way.
We can be alien buddies. :proud:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ground yourself. Your energy is to high. I know it's a cliche, but as long as you are being yourself, that is all that matters. You gain real friends that way. There is a difference between this and being a social chameleon however.

the reason people laugh at other peoples crap jokes is charisma(well, mostly) or because they are into that person. I can't think of any other reason somebody would laugh at a shit joke xD

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like my high energy! It kept me from passing out every first period back at school ^_^

But lol, you're right. I can be myself and crack less jokes. I just don't like being too quiet because I don't want to seem boring and miss the opportunity to talk to anybody. I always like to talk.

On good days, my high energy does attract people and then I feel like I'm only an alien-human hybrid. :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The one thing that helps me most is thinking about how they want me to like them just as much as I want them to like me! Most people want to make a good impression, so even if you're more self-conscious than some people, you're not alone! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I get so tongue tied around new people, it's so frustrating. I also get really quiet. But I find it way easier talking to people a few years older than I am compared to talking with people my own age.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I can be very awkward too. Mainly with large groups of people. I prefer keeping to myself.
Sure I know how to approach people, introduce myself in a very suave way, say a few clever things,
and pass myself off as a socialite:cool:. But I hate doing this and I feel like I'm being someone else just to keep up appearances and not be that 'one weird guy' at the party.:shocked:
Certain social tricks can be a lifesaver but all in all I never really get to know any of these people truly.

When I've decided not to try to be this socialite or whatever and seemed awkward, or rather, myself, I've found that my awkwardness acts as a type of....friend selector. Here me out on this: so maybe I pass off as 'weird' or 'awkward' for the night to let's say.....20 people there. I'm awkward around them and everything else. But inevitably at these parties and such, there happens to be this 1 person, maybe a few, that just....I already feel super comfortable around, as if, 'Yes, this person here, is fking cool.' And somehow I'm able to talk for more than a sentence, and make a really funny and witty comment at some point, and not question ahead of time if it'd be stupid. The other person just 'gets you' you know?
Call it a vibe or whatever, but I've found that, that one person that made me feel great right away, is THE person worth getting to know. So my awkwardness is somewhat of a weeding out process, a natural selection thing if you will:proud:. Maybe it's a friendship instinct or something idk. Just musing I guess.:crazy:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just learned to not think too much about what they think of you. As long as you don't do anything really weird, they'll probably like you.

And if they don't, that's their problem and not yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts