Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about our experiences in being awkward in non-awkward situations. :frustrating: For me, this happens a lot, but I've stopped beating myself about it. As opposed to before, I tend now to be more aware if I'm being awkward and I just try to shake off all the awkwardness or negativity and attempt to make things less awkward. But anyways, what have been some of your experiences with being awkward and what are some ways you overcame this?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I sometimes feel awkward but maybe the situation is awkward just because I'm there? I don't know if there's a 'non awkward' situation happening if you do feel awkward. Other people have to be fairly thick skinned not to notice that you are being awkward if you see what I mean, and I am acutely aware if I'm being like that. I try to mask it, but I think it must be apparent to a degree to the other person/s. The best solution is to get out of there as fast as possible!

·
Meh.
8,050 Posts
Lunchroom at work is generally my awkward hotspot. I just really have nothing to add to the conversation about make up trends and hot night clubs.

I guess it usually happens when I am in my 'zone' (approximately 15KM up into the air with my mind) and people start talking to me in such a way that a response is required. Also suddenly putting me in the center of attention is a good way to freak me out and disable my ability to speak.

I just stopped caring about what other people think. I know they think I'm an oddball and well.. fine. It's gonna cost me more energy to try and be socially acceptable. .. this might also be why I don't really socialize with a lot of people outside of my inner circle. ..

I swear I'm not a hermit. lol

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I'm awkward anywhere i'm not alone - except with closest people/friends. So, pretty much, in every other situation i just feign competence. Its exhausting.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My life is one long awkward moment. Like one time when i was in second grade i had to pee, and i was in the woods with my friends. they convinced me it was cool to go commando or whatever, so i did and i peed on my pants and had to walk home like that in my favorite jeans ugh

I'm generally really awkward though so i prefer to chill at home

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Here's a simpler question, when am I not awkward? When I am with people I connect with and trust them to some degree (or just don't really care about their opinion of me anymore), that is when I am comfortable and non-awkward (awesome), but this only happens with a select few people. I also seem to be less awkward when I am tired (my guard is down) or when I am having a deep/stimulating conversation. Even at these times when I am not awkward, I know I am not normal. I seem to get along with people who are also slightly awkward. I think the worst part is knowing when other people detect my awkwardness because it just makes me more awkward and self-conscious. It's a vicious cycle! AH!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I leave many awkward silences in my wake. I just don't actually care how you got your nails painted or how the weather is unless you want to get into a deeper discussion about it? I like nature, rain is peaceful, but no you don't want to talk about the weather anymore, you're asking me how I am? Yet you don't actually want to listen to any complaints of mine? Okay then I'm peachy thank you.

I'll just smile and nod.
I could pretend I care, and I often have, people seem to like that! But I don't, still trying to figure out what to do.

Damn you society!

Funny bonus: That moment when a guy you've seen often but don't really know shouts out what a horrible condition your shoes are in and then offers you an older pair of theirs as a joke. Now everyone is trying to look at your feet without you knowing.

Reactions: Shea

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Pretty much any social situation where I hardly know anyone. Or when I feel I can't contribute anything useful.

I usually do with this by being a good listener in the case of not feeling I can add anything useful. Sometimes that helps in making an intelligent observation.
And when I hardly know anyone. I just take a deep breath, join a random group and listen in and try to wiggle my way into it. it doesn't always work well though.

The weird thing is. I'm told I'm a good teacher in our dojo. And as I usually train the new beginners group, I never know anyone from there. But at least I feel confident enough to teach them. I'm mentally drained afterwards though. But it is rewarding, and nice to hear a compliment every now and then.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I swear I have way too much difficulty with the "how are you?" interaction - as soon as I respond "fine, how are you?" I feel like I'm wasting the person's time and I'm a failure at interacting like a human being.

·
Banned
982 Posts
I'm really awkward when I try to blend in with the crowd or talking to people I don't really know. I act kind of weird because I'm so nervous. I used to feel like such a failure at social interaction, but then I just stopped caring. Now I just joke about it and keep the conversation going. It really helps me to take a step back and see how the funny the situation is.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My life is full of awkward moments, most of the time it's just me being awkward because I'm struggling to act normal in the situation. Like the other day, I wanted to be nice and let this guy take my seat since He had something that he was holding something and I had nothing. So, I stood up from my chair to offer it to him... he sat on the floor in front of me instead and didn't notice that I had gotten up for him. And everyone was staring at me because I was standing there waiting for him and he never got up... that would be a recent awkward moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts