Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Its been awhile since I've been here. I've recently been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. And it made me think. Could it be quite possible that most ENFJs have ADHD (Samething as ADD just a newer term).

Because here's the thing...

If you have ADHD or you're an ENFJ you probably:

1.) Have trouble listening (but a great listener, but likes to cut to the chase since we have a natural tendency to understand others quickly and on a whim) to others and prefer having to be the speaker (being a mentor and all).

2.) Impulsivity (randomly jumpy, and just random in general)
-Commit to something and go... oh crap later on.
-Being hyper as a means to get attention and for the sake of elevating the tone and mood.

3.) Always "on the go" or "being all over the place" or function as though being run by a "motor"

4.) Easily distracted.

5.) Sensitive to criticism.

6.) Always being told that you're either weird or just really out there.

I just thought there might be some kind of correlation.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Relatively recently, studies have demonized excessive TV watching at an early age, from 0-3 years as one major contributing factor.

Do you guys know if you watched a great deal of TV when young?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I did watch TV extensively but I also ate tons of sugar and high potent Corn Syrupy beverages. Diet plays a bigger role than TV. How you watch Tv can make a difference

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. So I'm going to take it that all ENFJs have ADHD. Have watched tons of TV and played tons of video games and ate lots of corn syrup as a young kid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always gotten ENFJ on MBTI tests throughout the years. Also, I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 4. I definitely am guilty of impulsive behavior and being easily distracted. I was VERY VERY hyper as a child and would run around and talk to every stranger I'd see. Sometimes it was endearing to people, other times I was just extremely annoying. I'm not as hyper now, but I do go through periods of what seems like mania, where I'll be very on-the-go and will have trouble relaxing or staying still.

Definitely have always been considered weird! But people have become more accepting of my personality as I've gotten older.

I didn't start watching television at ALL until the age of 5, did play a lot of video games from age 10-12, and don't know what my diet was like at a young age.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am still on the fence about my ENFJ-ness.

BUT

I have personally always thought i had ADD, my mom never believed me, she thought i was just trying to get out of doing work but honestly, i am so easily distracted, and unless i have some sort of amazing idea in my head it takes me like 2 hours to write an essay in class.

I watched tv a lot when i was a kid, i was kind of aggressive, my parents wouldn't let me watch Power rangers, or TMNT, when i was young because i would act out the moves on kids at school, apparently i drop kicked a student... I have no recollection of this...

I also have been playing video games since the age of 4... I beat the game Quake, playing one handed, at the age of 5, my parents also took that game away from me :unsure: I still play games all the time.

I find it hard to concentrate on things i have little interest on, like school work and such, but if a subject is interesting to me i put so much attention into it i tend to over work it until there is nothing left.

If i am interested in something i take little to no time learning it, I am the kind of person who has a bunch of hobbies and such.

anyways, i am a tad off track, I hope this had some sort of point to it... if not i apologize and carry on... :mellow:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I've been professionally tested for ADD. I was diagnosed as having 'Severe Attention Deficit Disorder'.

The scale for Attention Quotient (AQ) is the same as the scale for IQ - 100 being average, 140 being extreme, and 60 being terrible.

My AQ tested as 54.

I get lost in my head very easily and very quickly. I believe this is a side effect of being an intuitive type. A lot of N types have some form of ADD or ADHD, even if they're not aware of it, due to how the intuitive functions make inherent leaps of processing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all,

Its been awhile since I've been here. I've recently been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. And it made me think. Could it be quite possible that most ENFJs have ADHD (Samething as ADD just a newer term).

Because here's the thing...

If you have ADHD or you're an ENFJ you probably:

1.) Have trouble listening (but a great listener, but likes to cut to the chase since we have a natural tendency to understand others quickly and on a whim) to others and prefer having to be the speaker (being a mentor and all).

2.) Impulsivity (randomly jumpy, and just random in general)
-Commit to something and go... oh crap later on.
-Being hyper as a means to get attention and for the sake of elevating the tone and mood.

3.) Always "on the go" or "being all over the place" or function as though being run by a "motor"

4.) Easily distracted.

5.) Sensitive to criticism.

6.) Always being told that you're either weird or just really out there.

I just thought there might be some kind of correlation.

I do not have ADHD however I kinda get bored of listening to someone talking for 10 minutes, when I understood on the first two what she/he wanted to say; thus in the other 8 minutes I get easily distracted and even worst I'll see that person in the eyes, nod my head and do everything you need to pretend to be listening but I'm really not :unsure:
Is not that I get distracted on purpose but 8 minutes of redundancy is just too much :( In fact I can count few things that can cause me to rise my CPU and start paying fully attention to something for a long time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always find that every test I've taken and every assessment I've had done on me shows adult ADD. This comes out specifically in my difficulty mentally following bulleted lists (even though I create them all the time). Orderly procedure drives me insane and the way I tend to interpret information.

Although some elements can flow from one into another in terms of the ENFJ side of things, as I know ENFJs can have the tendency to be more big-picture, thus struggling with structural dates and planning of some fine-detailed organization. Some call this an element to ADD, I say it's just a way of thought.

I do *not* have the typical clinical hyperactive side since I've come off of dairy (I'm allergic) which caused me to have serious mood swings and depression that I swear some days made me look like a maniac (hello mania...) as well.

I won't go through the entire breakdown of ADD-like symptoms as I barely remember it from my studies (my wife was the one that did papers and research on it during post-secondary), but I think there can be some apparent overlap between ADD symptoms and ENFJ tendencies. Of course, in working with teenagers for the past 11 years (3 as assisting while my wife was a paid professional and 5 as the paid professional), I've become very skeptical of our modern understanding of ADD (ADHD), so I take it all with a grain of salt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts