Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only recently I've arrived at MBTI as a way of understanding myself. I'm pretty dead-on certain that I'm an ENFP, but when I first took the tests and read what an ENFP was, I was horrified. I don't see myself as being as "flaky" as many descriptors make us out to be.

But here's the crux of my point: I'm a woman, and I've worked in a great number of office environments. In many places, I had to be that much more aggressive or persistent to make myself heard or respected. For instance: I have a mechanical knack. I take care of repairs around the house, I can keep a car in running order, I can build a stage set. But in one office, no matter what I did, or how demonstrably correct and complete my solutions were for the bastard of a printer we had, no man in that office would ask me for help with the damn thing. I even had to fix the damage they'd caused the thing in trying to fix it on their own.

Caveat: this was only one office with a small overall population, and I have served in offices where male peers and supervisors respected me and treated me well.

But what I want to know is, do you guys, as ENFPs, have trouble being taken seriously? I originally thought it was just me being a woman in the workplace, but as I read up on ENFPs, and took note of my own goofy behaviors with friends and at work, I've begin to wonder if it's not all subtle sexism, and simply people not taking my non-sequitur wit seriously.

I'm particularly interested in hearing male ENFP responses, but any and all comers are welcome!

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Women still are victims of sexism and I find it absolutely horrifying that problems still exists. Women and men are equal at working any job.I worked in a office for a while and was the only male there I was a victim of sexism because the women at work thought office jobs were only for females. Now I work as a carpenter at a restutant supply and one of my female co workers Is also a carpenter. She get victimized for doing a male job by the women who work the office and my fellow male carpenters.In general everyone can be a victim of sexism but women still have it the hardest.:frustrating:

Reactions: Aiam

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I worked in a office for a while and was the only male there I was a victim of sexism because the women at work thought office jobs were only for females.:
Really? Wow. I work in an office and for the longest time it was just women and finally we have a few guys and everyone is like "Yay guys. We love guys!" Seriously.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gah! That's awful on both counts. My parents were very good at bringing me up (and by leading by example) when it came to gender in society, and it burns me up when I see prejudice on either side of the spectrum.

One of my current beefs is with advertising that features the "doofus dad" character. Y'know, the guy who can't change his kid's diaper, who can't cook a meal, who can't handle a grocery list and has to be rescued and berated by his acutely capable wife. Dude, if the genders were reversed--"doofus mom"--there'd be no end of protest. Maybe I shoudl expand on this in the ENFP venting thread...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? Wow. I work in an office and for the longest time it was just women and finally we have a few guys and everyone is like "Yay guys. We love guys!" Seriously.
Absolutely; I've been in this situation myself.

Have you found any occasion where you've not been taken seriously? I still can't suss for me if it's gender or personality, but I expect now that it may be a combination of the two...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Absolutely; I've been in this situation myself.

Have you found any occasion where you've not been taken seriously? I still can't suss for me if it's gender or personality, but I expect now that it may be a combination of the two...
I believe I have, but right now I'm just frustrated because I'm not getting a promotion that I otherwise deserve because my firbromyalgia keeps my work attendance from being as good as it otherwise would be. They've aknowleged that when I'm there I'm fully capable and dererving, but "I'm not reliable" which I can understand their point of view but it's still frustrating.

Sorry...that didn't answer your question at all... Back to the topic at hand....I know that I haven't been taken seriously before, but I couldn't tell you the reasons behind it. It was from other women in fact so I know it wasn't a gender issue....personality seems likely..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
One of my current beefs is with advertising that features the "doofus dad" character. Y'know, the guy who can't change his kid's diaper, who can't cook a meal, who can't handle a grocery list and has to be rescued and berated by his acutely capable wife. Dude, if the genders were reversed--"doofus mom"--there'd be no end of protest. Maybe I shoudl expand on this in the ENFP venting thread...
Yeah that's a common complaint of my husband too. I don't know why people find it to be so funny. I find it sad because my husband is one of the most intelligent and capable people I know. Also, those commercials make me feel bad because they portray women as being so good at everything, and I don't feel like I'm that way at all.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's a common complaint of my husband too. I don't know why people find it to be so funny. I find it sad because my husband is one of the most intelligent and capable people I know. Also, those commercials make me feel bad because they portray women as being so good at everything, and I don't feel like I'm that way at all.
-nodding-

Another thing I find hurtful in ads like these is the adversarial nature of the presented married relationship. I hate that, and I think it subtly cues people to believe that marriage somehow has to be a game of one-upmanship between a husband and wife. And, like you, I don't find it funny at all.

Reactions: Linnifae

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well said. Since my husband and I are opposites in most ways, I sometimes find myself feeling competative with him and I think these sort of ads can affect my thinking too. You are right. A marriage should be a partnership. It's not suppose to be a competition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts