Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When teaching and working with people I am very explicit about everything thats needed to be done, and I've found it to have some negative effects, as people think I'm demeaning them or something. On the other hand if some things aren't said problems arise out of lack of information.

What is your experience with people on this subject?

·
Registered
587 Posts
There is communicating instructions, requirements and timelines in a clear manner and then there is the appearance of "micromanaging". It's been my experience that most people prefer to be told the "what" and then they will figure out "how" it will be done. When you over instruct on "how" things get done, then there may be the perception that you are micromanaging them and they migh feel resentful of this if it's not their particular working style.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is communicating instructions, requirements and timelines in a clear manner and then there is the appearance of "micromanaging". It's been my experience that most people prefer to be told the "what" and then they will figure out "how" it will be done. When you over instruct on "how" things get done, then there may be the perception that you are micromanaging them and they migh feel resentful of this if it's not their particular working style.
That popular ENTP complaint about us :mellow: I can't stand when people act defensively. My thoughts are my way of showing care for others. Accept my care. There is a thin line between giving suggestions and acting like the persons stupid though, found that out the hard way, like most lessons I learn :frustrating:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Have you inquired to see if the particular person is in need of your "care"? There is an assumption (made by you) that the person receiving your explict instructions is in desparate need of your care....perhaps it would be helpful to just explain what needs to get gone and then maybe brainstorm with the other person to see "how" the work will be done...offer a few suggestions if you see fit and then let them get on with it....et voila...the work gets done!

Sorry if I'm sounding a tad touchy today, I just got a bit smuthered at work today and it's gotten my claws out!

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you inquired to see if the particular person is in need of your "care"? There is an assumption (made by you) that the person receiving your explict instructions is in desparate need of your care....perhaps it would be helpful to just explain what needs to get gone and then maybe brainstorm with the other person to see "how" the work will be done...offer a few suggestions if you see fit and then let them get on with it....et voila...the work gets done!
All people need my care. lol jk urmm... I like to aid people in any way I can, and I feel bad if I don't. I be the best leader I can be, and that means ensuring others know to do things to the best of my understanding. If people get the job done in some other way thats super, and I think more of them, but I do like to give all the tools possible to help another. If the person is supposed to know things I just tell them to ask if they need anything. Training people is something others can do too loosely and not do it well enough, putting others in a bad position because they were too careless.

Sorry if I'm sounding a tad touchy today, I just got a bit smuthered at work today and it's gotten my claws out!
I insult when I'm personal about things. Firm disagreements don't come with an insult, as they carry no disrespect or hate. Ironically the theme is being explicit.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
When teaching and working with people I am very explicit about everything thats needed to be done, and I've found it to have some negative effects, as people think I'm demeaning them or something. On the other hand if some things aren't said problems arise out of lack of information.

What is your experience with people on this subject?
I tend to be this way also. It drives most people crazy. However, when I don't take the time to be explicit, whatever I want is not usually communicated well enough to get the results I desire, which drives me crazy.

Since someone is going to be crazy, I'd rather it be them and not me.:crazy:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I tend to be this way also. It drives most people crazy. However, when I don't take the time to be explicit, whatever I want is not usually communicated well enough to get the results I desire, which drives me crazy.

Since someone is going to be crazy, I'd rather it be them and not me.:crazy:
I'm the exact same way. I feel if I'm not clear in describing what I want, and they bungle it up, I've just wasted my time, and I have to waste even more time correcting their mistakes. This is what drives me nuts the most...

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts

You have proven yourself as a friend to ISTJs, so you've earned the right to show your claws to us. We know that you aren't really attacking us.

Where I work, the problem that I encounter is there is sometimes a lack of training and understanding of proper procedures, which when followed give the best results. However the person doing the job doesn't know what they don't know.

So while I understand the need for autonomy, I also see the need for a deep comprehension of the "why" of a situation and a set of procedures to follow that eliminate problems before they start.

The way it usually works, is if the person is chafing under my "care" about the procedures, but they can contain themselves, in a short while they will find that I have backed way off because they have proven to me that I can trust their understanding of the job.

However, in the situation where the person lashes out, and wants room, I take a step back and verify that they know my desired result, and when they affirm that they do, then I walk away and let them proceed. If they truly do know what they are doing, great--we're all happy. But if they turn out an inferior product, I will have their head on a platter. Not because I'm mean, but because they refused instruction when it was offered.

I can understand your frustration with being micromanaged at work. But try to see my frustration as well. Currently, I am going through my books, line by line and correcting posting errors made by my accountant and his staff. I paid these people lots of money to do things right and he shipped the data entry off shores to someone that barely speaks English. His take is, "well the balance sheet balances, so what's the diff?" My take is "I paid big bucks to have an accurate set of books and these do not qualify." So now, I've paid the money and I get to redo my books myself.

Just a view of the other side of the micro managing picture.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
In another vein, I WANT people to be explicit with me when giving instructions. Twice now I've emailed my professor because the due dates on certain material doesn't match up with what's stated on the syllabus. I want to know exactly when it's due, and what steps need to be taken at what time. Make a list for me and it'll get done to your specifications, and on time. Ambiguity sucks!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't like micromanaging. I'd rather shift responsibility/autonomy onto someone else if they can handle it.

However, if giving them free will doesn't work than I will explicitly state how to do things but I prefer not to do this as it wastes my time and they may think that I'm implying that they are not intelligent enough.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find it difficult to delegate - if you want it done right, do it yourself syndrome - so there's always the risk of micromanaging. I tell myself to go where I'm most needed, and leave other jobs to other people - even if I know I could have done it better myself.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I find it difficult to delegate - if you want it done right, do it yourself syndrome - so there's always the risk of micromanaging. I tell myself to go where I'm most needed, and leave other jobs to other people - even if I know I could have done it better myself.
I used to be like that. Then I realised that I was micromanaging and I was giving myself more trouble than it was worth hence my changed attitude. I guess you have to do a cost-benefit analysis. Cost of micro-managing vs perceived benefit in quality of work.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I was preaching my ideal way of managing others, and that is micromanaging as I feel is necessary based on level of trust with the member.

I realize that people don't like too much advice, and I understand that. I try to get out the important direction, perspective, and details in hopes nothing bad happens. Timing when leading people is very important to me.

I agree completely with Niss's opinion that if defensive I'll back off a member to let them work, but when things go wrong there is hell to pay. I prefer to be able to deal with all employees in a manner thats most comfortable to me. Defensiveness of a trainee is a fact of life, but its not welcomed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts