Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of descriptions and posts detailing how we as INFPs can easily & strongly 'feel' others people's feelings, can emphatize so much, and also very sensitive to surrounding and what's gone "wrong/bad" that is not in place, etc.

I've been doing some readings & researches online this couple of months, and I've come to another term "Highly Sensitive Person" (HSP), which I'm somewhat feeling pretty sure that a lot of us INFPs would fall into this category as well.
You can just google it: Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), it's quite a well-known term.
or I feel this link is also quite informative and thorough: The Highly Sensitive Person

now I'm seriously starting to feel the very strong connection/correlation between being an INFP and a HSP
(there're also more, for example, a correlation with being an Indigo, Crystal, and/or Starseed. try googling it and you might find more interesting correlations!)

I'm interested in what you guys think regarding this.
And if there is already a formal scientific study on this strong correlation, or still not available now..

·
Registered
150 Posts
It was a bit of a relief to discover that I was a HSP. I always thought there was something wrong with me. These are my results from the test on that website:

I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input - Yes

I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment. - Yes and no

Other people's moods affect me. - Yes. I can sense tension, read between the lines and know if someone's been talking about me. When someone is in a bad mood, I find their ''energy'' physically painfull. I tense up and sometimes get headaches

I tend to be very sensitive to pain. - God yes! I weep if I have a splinter

I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. - Yes

I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. - I'm not sure, I don't drink coffee

I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by. - Yes

I have a rich,complex inner life. - Yes, as I'm sure is the case with all INFPs

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. - Yes

I am deeply moved by the arts or music. - Yes

My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. - Yes - regularly

I am conscientious. - Conscientious regarding issues I think important, but I don't think it a big deal if I ''borrow'' my mother's make up

I startle easily. - Yes

I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time. - Yes. I wouldn't sully my mouth with the word ''multitask''.

When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating). - Yes

I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once. - Yes

I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things. - Mistakes yes, but I will always be forgetful

I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. - Yes

I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me. - Yes

Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood. - Yes

Changes in my life shake me up. - Yes

I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art. - Yes

I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once. - Yes

I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations. - Yes

I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. - Yes

When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise. - Yes. This one really annoys me actually, it's so rude. I can ''feel'' someone looking at me.

When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. - No, the complete opposite. I was a loud mouthed little shit!

It may seem rather contradictory for an INFP to be highly sensitive, because on the one hand, we often have our head in the clouds, so how could we be distracted by happenings on planet earth, yet at the same time it could be these distractions which make it harder for us to retreat into ourselves.

I'm not convinced by the whole aura theory, but I took a few tests to satisfy my narcissism and came out as lavender.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It's interessting that you found this out. I've been told by three diffrent kinds of persons that I might be HSP.
One of them was a psychologist and the other was a coach and a lady I met when I was on holiday, she was into spiritual things and was interessted in all those kinds of things. I took the online test and I do come out as one.

·
Registered
15,640 Posts
I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input - Yes

I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment. - Yes

Other people's moods affect me. - Yes.

I tend to be very sensitive to pain. - Yes

I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation. - Yes but never to a dark room. Sunny room with quiet will do. As long as the environment is quiet I can re-charge fine.

I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine. - I'm a coffee lover and caffeine doesn't seem to have an effect on me.

I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by. -Not strong smells, not sirens, but flashing lights yes and itchy fabrics make me perch on top of watertowers with a gun in my hand taking potshots at innocents.

I have a rich,complex inner life. - I like to fantasize about lots.

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises. - Yes

I am deeply moved by the arts or music. - Not really. I'm more moved by sentimental commercials.

My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself. - I just get frazzled by yappers in my face and flashing lights and loud rock music.

I am conscientious. -Yes I am conscious.

I startle easily. - Not really more than the average person,I think.

I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time. - Not really my favorite way to be but, in school and college, it's the only way I could exisit - I'd read everything the night before a test. I'd complete papers the night before. I never did anything ahead of time.

When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating). - Yes, I have been told this over and over. I REALLY know how to make people comfortable. It's like a sixth sense wth me.

I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once. - I'm pretty much annoyed with any people asking me to do anything.

I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things. - I do believe my failure rate is low. I forget dates and years all the time. This does NOT bother me.

I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows. - Yes one hundred times over. I also hate death metal. Suicide poetry and songs. Goth. Emo.

I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me. - Aroused like an erection? No.

Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood. - Yes

Changes in my life shake me up. -I think so.

I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art. - Hmmm.. not really sure.

I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once. -I can't multi-task that's for sure. Tunnel vision concentration is my 'specialty.

I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations. -I am a Master of this. King and Commander. I know how to make things right for me.

I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes. - Yes

When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise. - Yes, I guess? Nose-y buggers, stop staring and go do your own work

When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy. - Yes, still do. I could not get married in front of a large crowd, had to do it at City Hall.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I scored a 22 (out of 27) on this, 14 was the limit from where Hsp is possible, so yes, it is indeed possible.

Many of these seem to be what I indentify as 'Infp' traits though. Which, while not a fact, might still be a reason for Infps to come off as Hsp's (Similar symptoms, different disease, not meant as a bad thing!).

Meh

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Do you find there is a connection between how many HSP traits you have and your physical health? ie when you get as much sleep as you like, eat healthily, exercise regularly, don't watch too much tv etc - do you feel less 'sensitive' to the environment?

Reactions: Evgenia

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a good point, though not one I'm able to answer :x

·
Registered
391 Posts
I took the test and answered yes to most of the questions. But I was feeling that some of my answers were more 'yes' in a spiritual sense. I am very aware of subtleties in my environment, but it's the feeling of the environment, not necessarily the physical. I went somewhere I go often and did not notice the new carpeting until someone pointed it out to me. It looked very much like the old carpeting. But I can definitely sense subtle changes in the mood of a person or place. And caffeine puts me to sleep - :crazy:. But after a nap, I feel extremely organised and motivated to do things I wouldn't normally be able to do well, such as organise my kitchen or clean out my closet.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I would definitely test positive for being HSP, but then, I also have some ADHD/Asperger's going on, and HSP traits are symptomatic of both disorders.

Reactions: CGonerko
1 - 9 of 9 Posts