Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to all the people that do look goood, do you get annoyed that “intellectuals” think

care about makeup, fashion -> airhead, lack any depth

when in your head, it goes like this:
interested in those things -> having an artistic personality

like, wow, they just know you for like a month and they think you
1. never read a book in your like
2. dont see the deeper meaning in stuff, totally being manipulated by the government
3. see no larger picture, have no insight, totally think of nothing but the surface stuff

like excuse me but i did read the same fucking books that you have in your college, when i was in fucking high school; or that i do see those shady shit that you do, but you think i dont, because i have better hairstyle than you?
like excuse me, it can be that the only thing is i look way slaying than you hun and i get more opportunities in life because of that

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
2. dont see the deeper meaning in stuff, totally being manipulated by the government
3. see no larger picture, have no insight, totally think of nothing but the surface stuff

i do see those shady shit that you do, but you think i dont, because i have better hairstyle than you?
100% agree. You clearly understand that their assumptions are based on your better hairstyle, so why should they think you don't see deeper meaning?

like excuse me, it can be that the only thing is i look way slaying than you hun and i get more opportunities in life because of that
Some people are just judgmental. There is nothing superficial about getting opportunities on the basis of your looks.

Reactions: salt

·
Banned
5,117 Posts
Nah I just leave the intellectuals to intellectualising.

It makes no difference what an intellectual thinks.

People make judgements, its upto us if we let them control our lives.

Reactions: Dalien and salt

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
to all the people that do look goood, do you get annoyed that “intellectuals” think

like excuse me but i did read the same fucking books that you have in your college, when i was in fucking high school; or that i do see those shady shit that you do, but you think i dont, because i have better hairstyle than you?
so what you're saying is, if a smart girl copies your hairstyle...you become obsolete? :p

·
Registered
17,819 Posts

It really depends. I used to think the same way, but then I started looking deeper myself (ironically) and realized that there is a lot of effort put into makeup and fashion and the people who know it haven't just magically received the knowledge. They've worked at it and just have a certain know how that has to come from some sort of dedication to the artform in and of itself.

I think that people who downplay the value of fashion and makeup and claim it's "shallow" aren't intellectuals themselves. For all their claims of being deep, simply judging someone for their interests makes them ironically shallow.

Some people are indeed shallow, but the two are not correlated. Fashion is not easy and neither is makeup. It takes work and effort like anything else.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Ironically, these people are the ones being superficial. I don't try too hard, but I do care somewhat about looking decent because I find that there is a correlation between energy and the effort that I am willing to put into my appearance; if I don't care about the latter then it is harder to find the energy to do anything else, including those things that intellectuals would deem important.

Really though, the people who take intellectual anti-aestheticism too seriously are generally trying to cover up for their own insecurities. If they were that sure of their own intelligence, they wouldn't feel the need to label others as "unintelligent".

·
Super Moderator
11,697 Posts
I don’t wear make-up and not much on fashion trends, yet I don’t feel that has anything to do with intelligence. I’m a subtle aesthectic in my dress, body behavior, etc. I find people of all types of persona can be intelligent. The people that look at you and don’t see you are either insecure or could be jealous.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I find it a false dichotomy, as far as being intellectual or having "shallow" interests, but I don't have people assuming I'm shallow because I like fashion and makeup. Or if they do make an assumption, then more often, they may think I am a snob, not stupid or shallow. It's funny how judgment gets projected both ways...as if I am turning my nose up at others because I happen to have certain tastes.

I do see this trend online where there is far more criticism of women into these things than those who are not, as if they are morally superior for not using cosmetics or caring about their style; but it just doesn't seem to pan out in reality (i.e. most women wear makeup, at least where I live). Most of the judgement comes from insecurity, whether it's ascribing elitism to so-called intellectuals or shallow vanity to aesthetes.

Anyhow, I freely read the likes of Kierkegaard and blow money at Sephora :D. I don't feel a contradiction there at all.

Is it possible that you could be projecting an insecurity onto others' opinions? Why worry if they regard you as deep or smart if you feel it about yourself?

Reactions: salt

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
How did you conclude that it's about your hairstyle or makeup? Maybe they just think you're dumb based on the things you do or say.

Their opinions don't matter until you give them value. Just be yourself and keep it moving.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Gosh I despise pretentious book readers

"lol I read this book arent I so smart?!"

"you could have just read the wiki article or spark notes and saved all that time and money"

"u jus dont unnerstand refined art bdfkjgkljkljfljsldfkjsdklf duhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

haha what a bunch of time-wasting dopes lmao

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I wouldn't consider people brainless, I'd only call them not impressive, just non-intriguing. Being intellectual is a long term process with down the road results. Being fashionable answers the call of immediate gratification. I love the "let's say how bad intellectuals are because they call other people bad". There is some irony in this thread. But I'm not sure anybody will catch on to it.

I wish I was intellectual. I hardly consider myself one. I do look up to non-prick intellectuals that make good points. It's the people that can make a joke at their own expense, that are auto ironic, that think of themselves as being stupid, those are the people worthy of admiration. There is a saying: "smart people often doubt their intelligence, but idiots are certain of it".

Anyways, I always like to end on a joke to make my point, so, here, have this.

I have no great punch line of my own. Thank you. You've been a wonderful crowd.

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
I like being underestimated it makes it really easy to silently gloat. Really I am being serious. I don't mean playing a damsel in distress. I just simply mean I like being in plain sight and completely underestimated. Usually I can purposely make myself non threatening when I choose and tend to allow people the upper hand of gloating. People reveal a lot when they have inferiority complexes and think they have an upper hand (they show all their plays) because they are usually trying to overstate themselves. So what they do trying to lament others and station themselves is make it really easy to upstage them without really having to do shit. Usually I let other people do most of the work in putting themselves back in place. It's not that I come off timid generally. You just have to let other people put their own foot in their mouth.

I am a bitch usually after they do end up completely doing all the work to show they are a dumb fuck I wink at them (yes I really am a smug bitch who winks at people after they act like condescending pricks and end up usually eating their words). Anyways this is really fun you should try it. It's a really constructive way to not directly have conflict but hold your ground and teach others to be humble.

Stop playing into their hand and allowing them to have a dick measuring contest. Instead don't worry about being seen as smart, be wise.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
541 Posts
I think it all depends on the person and how they look at things. There's lots of smart people out there who love fashion and makeup. I myself love fashion and makeup, I won't deny this but I try to look deeper into things and get information from sources other than the internet. Plus I love books! :p

I've met a lot of people who walk around acting as if their smart and they don't know anything that's going on in the world and only believe what they read off of social media such as gossip and magazines.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,469 Posts
I have been told (my aesthetics) is contradictory to my INTJ-type. I hear I look like an (Se)-dom/aux often. A specimen made fun of my 'Paris Hilton' car once which is anything but; and I suppose at 'surface' value I can have a rather "materalistic" look, which seems contradictory to my repulsion around strong-materialistism - (&) contradictory to the fact in being a high-functioning minimalist once a specimen is examined in depth - and such hueristical + high-functioning cognitive-biases are discarded, although hueristics are simply human.

I tend to get the occasional "are you sure you are a nerdy INTJ-woman, you don't look like it?," from this nerdy male I am excitedly discussing typology (and other topics) with. To which I can flatly meet them with "what am I 'supposed' to look like?" Which is just a shrugged, "I don't know, different". But it isn't a 'bad thing', just different. Although, this dies out when I start talking (&) expounding on my persona / preferences or killing such biases via elaboring on what I do in my "spare time," which doesn't making much sense, either apparently. "Wait, what do you mean you '(insert some stereotypical intellectual-hobby)' for fun in 5/6" heels on Friday nights?"

Although, I have been told many thing(s) about myself are "contradictory," or at least confused specimens in some degree - such as being in law with a pointless full gel nail set and tips -- this amount of 'money' on a manicure is simply, "irrational," in some regards. I can admit, having a full gel-nail set and gorgeous stilleto tips makes my job difficult to navigate at times & I waste more money repairing them after I break them off more often than not—although what other specimen(s) say is irrelevant. It is the internal that matter(s), although I can admit that the exterior contradictions seems to attract a unique bunch of specimens that I tend to not fancy nor have interests in myself, which I suppose is the downside.

On another cue, [in Americanized-western cultures] the 'higher' the specimen(s) goes in status / life / career-wise, the more this bias withers out. Aesthetics become more important the "higher," you seem to travel in certain 'stereotypically prestiguous jobs,' emphasizing on prestige with slowly begins correlating with a decent IQ. And specimens with terrible aesthetics are frowned upon, and it seems this "trend," dies off. The pressure begins to buckle down on female-humanoids to be more aesthetically keen.

The bias somewhat 'shifts' from aesthetics = 'less intelligent,' to 'aesthetics = means business', it means you care - you are ready to work; and make us look good, doing it. This is how I like to look. Opinions are irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

One of the unhealthy elements of human nature is when people prop up their own ego/value by reducing the value of others rather than focusing on the positives of themselves. You do you, ignore what others think.

That thing I said about reducing the value of others to support your own ego/value? This is you doing that. You're saying that because you read certain books sooner, you're smarter, that because you look better, you get more opportunities. What does that have to do with you? Judging others to favorably compare yourself doesn't make you better. It's the self-worth equivalent of standing on a footstool to make yourself taller.

It's also not helping your own argument.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

lmfao!! this post lacks depth you baka!! you are so dumb this made me laugh!! Im scoffing at you!!! SCOFFING!!SERIOUSLY?!
TRIVIAL MATTERS SUCH AS MAKEUP LMAO!!! just kidding...pls dont report me ;_;
People that self describes themselves as an intellectual or actively tries to portray that image/stereotype are the worst kind of people. Not only are they usually always dumb, they aren't/never will be content with their own stupidity. They just want an excuse not to take care of themselves because usually they tend to target physical appearance related stuff. They're disgusting individuals that have quite literally nothing going for them in life so they shun the physical and pretend to be mental giants.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts