Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What makes you feel offended?

In what ways have you been insulted? What was the worst insult you have ever received (whether verbally or through action etc)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Rare I personally get offended. The only thing that does is injustice or when I see people being hypocrites. I'm for feminism, but what is really ticking me off is the lack of masculinism. Mostly, attitudes people have where something is ok for a woman but not for a man. Example, women being verbally or physically abusive towards men is ignored, or women moaning at being objectified then they freely ogle at objectified men.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nothing really verbally offends me...
Mainly actions, ie. people acting condescending, patronizing when its unnecessary. ie. if someone is patronizing about something I know nothing about, then its not offensive because I realize I know nothing. but if it is someone being patronizing about something I do know stuff about then its mildly offensive.
@AshtangiBear Hypocritical behavior I find somewhat offensive... but unjust behavior makes me angry and upset, not offended, it passes through that door right to angry/upset.

Yeah I'm not easily offended...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Angry, yes. I fume inside, then I'm not scared in pointing out what the person said or did, then ask them why do they think whatever it is they said. I'll then debate, which for the vast majority of people they lose.

I like to call out sheeple, I cross between informing and trolling like strategy. General elections here in the UK next week, people believe so much insignificant crap and do not see the larger picture. Anyone that knows about UKIP supporters will know their stupidity. So little substance in their arguments it's hilarious.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Incompetence in business/ professional engagements. Requires me to exert more energy, change my strategy, & often deal with unaccountable variables.

But even then I think, figure out the next best move, and don't really dwell. *shrugs*

·
Registered
127 Posts
Being an Enneagram 3 sucks. A lot of things, including not getting acknowledged, "offends" me. Anything other than deserved praises is "offensive."

The question is whether it actually affects me.
(The answer is no.)

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I don't really like the word "offend" but I guess by the standard definition I do get annoyed at some things. Disrespect, stubborn, childish ignorance, true misogyny/sexism, anything that ISIS does, murder, rape of innocents, really hits me if they're children.

On a personal level, hmmmm, example....hard to think. I may have to return. Most "insults" are usually someone telling me something about myself that I already know, so it doesn't really bother me. I may not get offended, but I will often lose all respect for that person.

One thing, I have a lot of walls up as to who/why I am the way I am, and when I decide to share that info with someone I thought I could trust and then they use it against me, that really pisses me off and I become Death, Destroyer of Worlds.

Reactions: Sophia1

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Insults are merely mean-spirited subjective opinions, or failed attemps at powerplays. They're the lowest form of argument. It's what people hurl at you when they have nothing else. It reminds me of the way children argue, reverting to "ya ... well, you're a poopyhead!!!" I find childish not only the insults, but also the people who attempt to inflict harm with them.

What offends me? Nothing really. I don't take things personally or think that things are directed at me specifically. There are things that annoy me, though. I don't have much patience with willful ignorance, bullying, or discrimination - any sort of "because I said so" bullshit.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Being an Enneagram 3 sucks. A lot of things, including not getting acknowledged, "offends" me. Anything other than deserved praises is "offensive."

(The answer is no.)
Start a business; it'll fix that mess real quick. You'll soon learn to take nothing personal, and to let some-- most stuff roll off your back and keep it moving.

·
Registered
300 Posts

(The answer is no.)
Hm...
I'm a 3w2, you would think I would also be offended... But I did start out an 8w7 so perhaps that's why I don't?
I never felt not being acknowledge was offensive. What I do find offensive is people being acknowledged and praised for things they haven't done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@HumanBeing @Sophia1
Y`all missing that part where I said it doesn't affect me.
I just feel insulted and insecure in the inside - so I build myself a bridge and get over it.

@Lesuhlee
Too much commitment to realistically do, but I like the way you think.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I just feel insulted and insecure in the inside - so I build myself a bridge and get over it.
You call that not being affected? A wound on the inside is still a wound.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are VERY few, if any, times I have been offended by something. The last time i remember being anything near offended, was when I was the psychologically disturbed child I was.

You can deliberately choose to be apathetic to insults, which is what I normally do. In social situations, when people are so immature as to try to emotionally provoke me, I don't waste my time with them. I don't react, speak, or anything of the like, I just leave them alone.

Then again, when people show a lack of self-discipline, open-mindedness or competence I can get 'insulted' in the sense that I get irritated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
@HumanBeing @Sophia1
I just feel insulted and insecure in the inside - so I build myself a bridge and get over it. .
No. I did not miss that part as it was captured in the initial post quote I created.

I have to say I agree with @HumanBeing in the affect part... Sorry... but being insulted or insecure means you are affected. Otherwise you would not be insulted/insecure since both words are subject terms not objective terms.

·
Registered
300 Posts
@Sophia1 @Easy

Enneagram has a pretty neat thing called health levels, it gives you an impression of the spectrum of attitudes are possible. The healthy and less healthy versions are quite different, despite falling under the same type.
I find this very interesting. So could a healthy 3w2 present as a more docile 8w7. I often become confused with which type I am...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I find this very interesting. So could a healthy 3w2 present as a more docile 8w7. I often become confused with which type I am...
Question: when under stress, does enneagram rotate down the line as far as type is concerned?

Example: my stack is:

3w2, 6w7, 8w- something

When healthy, I present as 3w2.

When stressed, 6w7.

When I'm worked up: totally present (I'm told) as 8.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it's almost like I can 'feel' myself sliding down that stack.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Question: when under stress, does enneagram rotate down the line as far as type is concerned?

Example: my stack is:

3w2, 6w7, 8w- something

When healthy, I present as 3w2.

When stressed, 6w7.

When I'm worked up: totally present (I'm told) as 8.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it's almost like I can 'feel' myself sliding down that stack.
Ah k.
Prior to 2 years ago I was 8w7, 3w2, 6w7. Then recently I've been testing more 3w2, 8w7, 6w7.
I find myself when positive I have the good healthy qualities of both the 8 and 3 types, but likewise when I become negative, I get the negative parts of both the 8 and 3...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts