Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, as part of my development, I am always trying to improve my persuasiveness. I'm curious in which ways you guys are able to do so. That is, what basic techniques do you use that can be transferred over to another application? The reason is that I want to improve my salesmanship.

Right now I am too tired to think of all the techniques I use, but I will add them later on.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A model I use:

Find a reason for the other person to listen to you. Who are you? Just some schmuck? Or are you the guy who seems like he's realistic and knows what he's talking about? Are you a nice guy just trying to help out? Good!

Find out what the other party holds dear. Are they worried about survival or just looking good? Do they just want to get it over?

Show that you know what a "bad" alternative would be. They don't want that, do they? It would be bad.

But . . . BUT . .. there's another way! Something that just occurred to you. . . and it's still kind of foggy. Maybe they can help round out the idea with you?

Hey! This other way might work, but they aren't quite sure yet, despite the fact that they helped put the solution together so they are invested.

So then you remind them of the "bad" alternative. Or . . . .

THE EVEN WORSE ALTERNATIVE that you just thought of that is simply unthinkable.

So what's it going to be?

Let them make the decision. Be silent. Put them on the spot. It's either the solution they THOUGHT OF (that's important) or it's a godforsaken unholy mess that will leave them miserable.

Seems to work most of the time. :wink:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I usually give them a complete rundown on why it wouldn't hurt to do whatever it is I want them to do and then make it seem like if they said no, they're just being a dick.

That and I make a joke out of it half the time, get them really laughing, and then just say "Oh, come on", they're usually confused, so then I'm like "I was serious...", there's sometimes an "Uuuh", make another joke, they lighten up, they do as I want.

And what SlowPoke said~

·
Banned
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The important thing is to talk to their emotions, so having positive body language and vocal tones with the thing that you're trying to sell to them, and negative body language and vocal tones to the alternative.

I also try to make things seem as logical as possible, so I'll throw in phrases like "it only makes sense" or words such as "clearly".

Another thing I do is to ask them "yes" questions. Questions where they think they have an option to answer yes OR no, but really they're going to answer yes. An example of this would be "When you factor in this and that, then it only makes sense to proceed, wouldn't you agree?"

I'll post more when I think of it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
You guys above are right on, but I also use my looks to get what I want. NOT in a sexual way...I have an angelic appearance, like Audrey Hepburn to supremely flatter myself ( Or perhaps like Beavis LOL)...which I exploit. It's easy to get people's trust, and then they're putty. I make the target feel like I'm a close friend, a confidant so to speak...and execute the technique that I formulated, which I can't share here...and it has only failed two times. (Due to external interruptions) Out of the hundreds of times I do this. It is NOT sex or anything of the sort.

For my business, for this reason, that's why I usually count on free personal consultations to close the deal... not tedious internet ads or flyers. I do that too, but once you meet face to face, you're in, (provided you're doing what I do.)

Works for job interviews, too! I have gotten a job offer from EVERY SINGLE job interview I've EVER been on. The trick is getting the interview, and then I work the magic. It's all conscious, I figured out exactly what works and literally see the results when I apply the steps and tricks.

But then, these tips above are only surface tips, appearing nice, trustworthy, etc. And it probably doesn't work for guys LOL! The real magic, the 5 tricks that carry, I'd say, 95% of the persuasive power, I'd rather not share here... it's just way too effective, and I'd be insane to share them to potential competition for free... hell no. :tongue:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Read your Bible. Notice the passages where Satan is being persuasive. First it was the story Eve and the forbidden fruit. Then there were some other ppl. Then Jesus is born. And Satan tries to persuade him to come to his side. Unfortunately for Satan Jesus is an INFJ and sees past his ebil ploy. He failed in this instance but it doesn't matter, there are too Jesuses out there. So basically learn the tactics from the master persuader himself.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The art of persuasion only works as long as that person is vulnerable. Once they realize your intentions, the smoke and mirrors disappear instantly. Everyone is different on their desires, fantasies, and deadly sins. If you happen to find your own way to satisfy them, then I'd say you become successful in persuasion.

Also, once you become too indulged into this art there is a caveat.

If you happen to get everything done your way, you will become selfish.
If you happen to persuade every moving human, you will become untrustworthy in people's eyes.
If people become nice to you, you will become suspicious of them.
How do you evaluate yourself in terms of substance? If you eat lobster, kobe beef, foie gras everyday, it becomes tasteless.

Be careful what you wish for or indulge too much in.

I don't listen directly to people's advice. You have to find out what works best for <you>.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What works for me is: be happy, confident, a touch aloof, and listen carefully to what they are asking for. During the salesmanship stage, quietly overdeliver. During the production stage, over deliver and you won't have to persuade again - repeat customers are best.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I took a professional selling class. Here's some notes:

Ways to create an incredible client experience

-Don't make your work invisible
-Give them a toolkit, make it memorable
-Help clients understand what you do
-Pay attention to details
-Focus on the visible, outsource the rest
-Take initiative and learn about the client's industry
-Provide a pathway for further development
-Don't wait for the client to ask
-Do work that is one-of-a-kind
-Treat your client's work as your own
-Give more than you promise
-Keep them well-fed
-Listen, then communicate
-When it doesn't work, propose something else
-Be like a mom and pop store to your clients
-Add more value than you receive
-Follow up
-Help clients discover what is really important to them
-Trust is key (it's all about trust)
-It's all about people
-End it with a smile
-Involve your clients every step of the way
-Be available face to face
-Motivate and inspire your clients
-Be honest - ALWAYS
-Don't rush
-Adapt to the client's personality
-Get specific
-Put your heart into it
-Always complete the job to your fullest capacity
-Use the phone

·
Registered
691 Posts
You guys above are right on, but I also use my looks to get what I want. NOT in a sexual way...I have an angelic appearance, like Audrey Hepburn to supremely flatter myself ( Or perhaps like Beavis LOL)...which I exploit. It's easy to get people's trust, and then they're putty. I make the target feel like I'm a close friend, a confidant so to speak...and execute the technique that I formulated, which I can't share here...and it has only failed two times. (Due to external interruptions) Out of the hundreds of times I do this. It is NOT sex or anything of the sort.

For my business, for this reason, that's why I usually count on free personal consultations to close the deal... not tedious internet ads or flyers. I do that too, but once you meet face to face, you're in, (provided you're doing what I do.)

Works for job interviews, too! I have gotten a job offer from EVERY SINGLE job interview I've EVER been on. The trick is getting the interview, and then I work the magic. It's all conscious, I figured out exactly what works and literally see the results when I apply the steps and tricks.

But then, these tips above are only surface tips, appearing nice, trustworthy, etc. And it probably doesn't work for guys LOL! The real magic, the 5 tricks that carry, I'd say, 95% of the persuasive power, I'd rather not share here... it's just way too effective, and I'd be insane to share them to potential competition for free... hell no. :tongue:
I'm sorry why don't we get the tricks?? Like we're gonna write down "1. Smile 2. Cleavage" and then that'll get out and everyone will start smiling and showing their boobs and then without holding exclusivity on these devastating trade secrets your business is doomed??

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
It only makes sense that satan is in fact ENTP. Such a trickster, that one.
hey, you said it

I'm sorry why don't we get the tricks?? Like we're gonna write down "1. Smile 2. Cleavage" and then that'll get out and everyone will start smiling and showing their boobs and then without holding exclusivity on these devastating trade secrets your business is doomed??
cleavage is a bit too crude and overused, you have to be more subtle than this ... i find having big expressive eyes helps - just smile while they are talking and blink attentively ... "one blink yes, two blinks no" ... works like a charm

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Fellas, as part of my development, I am always trying to improve my persuasiveness. I'm curious in which ways you guys are able to do so. That is, what basic techniques do you use that can be transferred over to another application? The reason is that I want to improve my salesmanship.

Right now I am too tired to think of all the techniques I use, but I will add them later on.
Make people talk about themselves.
Most people aren't the least bit interested in others, all they want is validation.
Just ask them questions about themselves and make jokes.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
hey, you said it

cleavage is a bit too crude and overused, you have to be more subtle than this ... i find having big expressive eyes helps - just smile while they are talking and blink attentively ... "one blink yes, two blinks no" ... works like a charm
I'm beginning to think INFJ's are satan undercover.
This sort of natural manipulativeness should be outlawed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts