Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you post something on here, do you ever look forward to being thanked for your thoughts? I'm not an egomaniac, but when I'm thanked for my thoughts and ideas I can't help but be happy. It feels as though I actually contributed something to someone. Of course at the same time that means if I'm not thanked for a post, I take it probably a lot more personally than I should, and feel as though a little piece of me is being rejected, as if I raise my hand to answer a question and all the students and even the teacher laugh at you for even trying. What about the rest of y'all?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I guess I like it when I'm thanked for stating something particular.

But it's one of the reasons I was initially deterred from using this forum. I thought it'd end up being some sort of competitive-like thing where everyone was clambering for "thanks". Kind of like what people do on Facebook for "likes".

Then I realized it was a bit different. Still, I sometimes find it a bit disconcerting for reasons I personally even can't comprehend. So I don't know. It's nice and all, but I sometimes wonder if when I thank people, I'm doing it for their actual message or for their general attitude on the forum.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yet another mind-reading thread! I am like that with everything that I do when it comes to strangers, even the most insignificant thing that I realise has no relevance or concern to most people. I see it as a symptom of insecurity, but one that does have benefits as well.

Oh, I just realised you didn't mean "thanked" in the general sense. But I think it's the same principle nevertheless.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet another mind-reading thread! I am like that with everything that I do when it comes to strangers, even the most insignificant thing that I realise has no relevance or concern to most people. I see it as a symptom of insecurity, but one that does have benefits as well.

Oh, I just realised you didn't mean "thanked" in the general sense. But I think it's the same principle nevertheless.
That was my bad for the thread title, but being thanked in reality for what you do is extremely similar though. If not the same thing. A thank you is a thank you.:happy:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm guilty of it as well. Being thanked on a post does make me feel validated, as if someone just complimented me. But I'm generally not hurt if a post goes thankless unless I spend a really long time writing and thinking through that thought. All of that probably stems from insecurity.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I use to look a lot more for thanks when I start posting here. Now I come back to my post, just to see if there's a reply. If they are thanked that's just a bonus.

Think it's pretty normal for me to look back for thanks since the result of my most recent cognitive function test says I pretty much only use introvert functions. I'm such an egoistic person :dry:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wanderlust, thanks for starting this thread. I admit to having the same feelings but I never really said anything because I think I'm just being immature and petty. :blushed: It's good to know I'm not alone. I try not to think about it too much or take it personally if I have post with no thanks or replies but sometimes I do think that a post is bad if I get no thanks or replies.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I don't care too much, it's partly popularity (friends are more incline to thank friends, obviously), part "hey! you like the backstreet boys too!", part "hrm, this person has gone through the most devastating life imaginable, I have no idea what to say, but here's a 'thanks' anddddd "oh this poor soul doesn't have many thanks, here you go!

I think quoting someone and responding, is far more important.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i dont get thanked very much in real life.. a lot of ppl misunderstand my intentions and think that i'm rude or stuck up when i really am just either insecure or passive... when i express myself on these forums with other INFPs being thanked feels to me like they actually understand me and my odd perspective on life..

not that i'm asking for pity thanks!! i only wanna be thanked if something i say resonates with someone

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wanderlust, thanks for starting this thread. I admit to having the same feelings but I never really said anything because I think I'm just being immature and petty. :blushed: It's good to know I'm not alone. I try not to think about it too much or take it personally if I have post with no thanks or replies but sometimes I do think that a post is bad if I get no thanks or replies.
You're quite welcome :happy:. And a big THANKS to everyone that has responded and (maybe) will respond!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guilty as charged *throws shoes at wanderlust*

But I notice it's because our introverted and feeling preference. If I want to become full-functioned self, I should try to be more open and positive towards myself. I am not hating myself for being INFP and sensitive. In fact, I am trying to embrace both my weaknesses and strengths. Way to go, cobalt!

Ok, another bad habit. Talking to myself as third person.

Reactions: Sage del Viento

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I keep pretty close track of my thanks:post ratio. It's kind of important to me to be, like, helpful or something.

4,757 Posts
For me, I got to a place where I wonder why I've been thanked so much. Honestly, I think my ratio misrepresents my importance/how much people like me/how good my posts are in the forum. It's like there's an expectation of quality that I can't live up to.

... sigh, INFPs = never satisfied.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I never used to look at thanks until now you have mentioned it. I just want to espress myself. But I do thank people if I agree with someone's idea or if they make me laugh and I have nothing to add to the thread. For example I am not expecting a thank for this because I haven't challenge anyone' thought, I just gave my opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts