Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seraphina brought this up in another thread, and I was curious how the rest of you would respond...

When someone says the word "bell," what comes to your mind first?

Think about it...

Now, was it an image of a bell, the sound of a bell, or the feeling of a bell (metallic, hard and cold)?

Or was it a fourth option, which is what tends to happen to me...

When someone says the word "bell," the first thing that comes to my mind is the word "bell." That's all. It's more like, instead of something concrete, I just think of the concept of a bell.

I posed this question to my husband, and he said he sees an image of a bell. He described this bell as a big church bell.

But there, maybe that's my issue. Because there are so many different kinds of bells. Maybe I am just reluctant to commit my mind to only one sort of bell, so instead of picturing a bell, or imagining its sound or whatever, I prefer to just acknowledge the concept and then wait for the actual bell to appear before cementing it in my mind. Does this mean I'm more open-minded? Or am I just indecisive...idk. But it's interesting, to say the least...

So, what do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I see the image of a bell. I think it has to do with the strongest type of memory you have; mine is visual so I remember images more than anything else.

·
Banned
656 Posts
As soon as I saw the word bell...I felt a strong vibrations in my ears but none of the sound and then a faint image of a grey object in the shape of a medium sized metallic bell. I know I'm strange....even for an INFJ :shocked:

One time I went to a hypnotherapist for an alternative healing project and as we were sitting there talking about stress and to imagine balloons lifting it away I could actually visualize red balloons (not see but visualize) to the side of her flying up into the air but when it came down to the actual hypnotherapy session where I was laying down I just felt as heavy as a rock and somewhat relaxed but nothing more. Only did the one session but didn't feel anymore would actually impact me as it seems I was not very receptive.

Do you often feel indecisive in real life vocalist? Once I set my mind to it it is full speed ahead and probably why I envisioned a metal bell versus a sweet tingling ceramic one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you often feel indecisive in real life vocalist?

No, not really...I can make up my mind pretty easily whenever necessary. I do like to keep an open mind about many things, but I am certainly not indecisive to the point of crippling my decision-making, you know?

·
Banned
656 Posts
No, not really...I can make up my mind pretty easily whenever necessary. I do like to keep an open mind about many things, but I am certainly not indecisive to the point of crippling my decision-making, you know?

That's a good thing....must be that you have such an open mind you are just open to all possibilities and that is why you don't have a concrete visual.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I saw the image of a bell right away. I have to think of the sound of a bell before I hear that, too.

It is very interesting.

·
Registered
604 Posts
This question is a matter of qualia and the experience of meaning in sign and symbol. There are a couple of areas of research of note in relation to it. A couple of examples

"Kant And The Platypus" by Umberto Eco
In this book Eco attempts to describe the problem of describing things linguistically. That's the core of the question of what you "see" when someone says the word "bell".

In anthropology the question was addressed with the Sapir-Worf hypothesis and the works of Franz Boas.

You could read on this topic forever. Believe me. I've probably wasted half my life on it. (bows head in shame)

Tilting at windmills.....

·
Registered
604 Posts
I could have been chasing girls - painting more pictures - hiking - making love to my wife and chasing girls at the same time -- who knows?...

But nooooo. I have to waste half my life looking at signs and symbols.

Good lord. Don't be an idiot like me. Take up something practical like the bagpipes.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I thought about what bells are usually used for - church bells, school bells, to announce the time. Then I saw the bell. very distinctly. But just the bell - no church or school/

·
Registered
604 Posts
image of a bell and a sound that has nothing to do with a bell
They are matters of qualia which we use to connect quanta of information. Thinking of the word bell can cause you to see an image of a bell, or seeing an image of a bell can cause you to "hear" a bell. In the imagination of course.

The bell as a physical object is both a natural sign and a sign of convention. It is the representamen and the representation at the same time. A bell is a very interesting object in terms of semiotic content. It's a compelling example because it's so complex.

Why did you guys post up the example of a bell? I feel like a slave to Pavlov here. You're dangling red meat in front of me going, Ohhhh come look at the bell Rune. Tell us what is different about the symbol of the bell and the experience of the bell and how they transfer information.

It's positively evil. Thanks.

(kidding...my addiction is my fault, not yours - LOL) :tongue:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I get visuals but it comes with 'feelings'

Flash of white, as in cleanliness, coolness (temperature), femininity, season of spring. Sheer white curtains, weddings, birds, ribbons. Swatch of gold threads, white picket fence.

And motions... as if I am drawing the bell myself, a sensation of making curves. Calligraphic, dancing. spinning like a dervish.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Thanks^ That and spring/wedding/church are the strongest I think.

I just noticed: :tongue: Dervish = bell skirt

Over the years I'm finding I'm definitely a kinaesthetic/tactile type

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think about the bell on my bike when I was a little girl.
You can ring my bell.

What?

What?..... It's a reference to the great Anita Ward and her considerable contributions to the fairly recondite matters of the semiotic importance of bells as a matter of qualia.

But if you took it another way, well... hah

I'm quite mad you know :crazy:

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can ring my bell.

What?

What?..... It's a reference to the great Anita Ward and her considerable contributions to the fairly recondite matters of the semiotic importance of bells as a matter of qualia.

But if you took it another way, well... hah

I'm quite mad you know :crazy:
Mad, how are you mad like upset mad or crazy mad? LOL

Reactions: Runescribe
1 - 20 of 26 Posts