Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm..HippoHunter94, do you have any examples of this? Also, it's really important to consider functions, not just behavior. For instance, he seems to be an extroverted feeler, rather than a dominant introverted feeler. Also, he seems to use introverted thinking rather than extroverted thinking. A previous poster mentioned that he seemed to logical to be a feeler- it's not uncommon for INFJ's to be mistyped as INTJ's. If Benedict was an INFP, his very last function would be introverted thinking. From observing him in interviews, that doesn't seem to be likely.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm strangely drawn to his personality
But im curious to know so...

Bump

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am too, but mostly because when he first showed up in films and stuff (before he got big) I kept feeling like I related to him (I'm an INFJ) and I kept thinking, 'he has to be an infj!'... then a couple of years later after he started to get a lot of media attention I started to see people trying to type him and a lot of people said INFJ as well. All signs point to INFJ, from what I can tell anyway:p

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
INFJ 4w3

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've noticed a lot of people saying INFP, but he honestly seems a bit more down to earth than that. My guess would be INFJ. Though he seems to have a knack for playing NT characters (INTP in Sherlock, and INTJ in Star Trek)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi! I'm the one who first proposed he's an INFJ, and I still stand by my decision because I am super stubborn. :tongue:

But in all seriousness, I did not just base his introversion on his love of libraries. I pegged him for an introvert even prior to that interview! I've seen the PBS q&a you speak of, and to me it was clear that he looked downright exhausted. Yeah, he acted energetic but since the fans were there to see him I don't really think he had a choice. That's what an actor's job is, after all. I recently came across a little blurb from someone who sort of knew him in college, saying that when he would go to parties he would usually just hang out in the kitchen talking to a few fellow actors about his craft and he wasn't much for small talk. I could give you countless more examples too.

I actually typed him as INFJ even before I even knew about cognitive functions. I just had this gut feeling that he was an introvert, a feeler, and used intuition. The main thing that made me believe he was a Judger instead of a Perceiver was how he extensively researches his roles, as well as his constant caring and talking to others and how extremely polite he is to everyone. He's also said something along the lines of taking advantage of his celebrity status in order to do things for the greater good.

Now that I do know about cognitive functions, I agree that he is clearly a Fe user. It is ALL over that super-expressive face of his! All three suggestions were NF, but ENFP and INFP both use Fi- so that leaves us with ENFJ. With ENFJ the dominant function is Fe while in INFJ it's Ni. That would mean that an ENFJ is more likely to make emotion-based decisions than an INFJ, correct? And you stated that you don't think he does that.

Therefore, INFJ was the only logical choice.

This is a really interesting argument to me. I believe you are half right. He is most certainly and Ni/Se user. So let's explore the possibilities. INFJ vs INTJ.

Almost right away the thought of INTJ will be discarded until you look at the FUNCTIONS. I recently watched several interviews with him trying to find what some have called being "hit in the face with his Fe" and found no such thing. What you are seeeing is carefully controled Te.

Cumberbatch is not an Fe user if he were his voice would not be so soft. Fi makes your voice soft, Fe makes your voice easily loud. Like those people that seem they can raise their voices with not even trying. Next, look at his eyes, his eyebrows move when he talks but again not in a fluid way. His actual eyes never look happy. Fe= happy looking eyes even when you're not smiling. This is not to say Fi is sad, just as an introverted (internal) function it is not plastered on someone's face. Fe also engages the ENTIRE face not just the mouth and brow muscles. Watch closely, we are seeing only mouth and brow muscles in excited Cumberbatch interviews.

What about nervousness? He is a nervous person in public situations, he has said so. Fe is at ease with people.

What about the fact that he gives to charity and is humble about it? Fi is the most deeply moved of all the types ( get this intjs, that means function wise you should be the most affected most moved most passonate of the NT). Fi is moved to do something like give to charity. Yet this is not the dom Fi of an INFP because there is decesive action behind it. So it would be difficult for his Te to be dead last on his totempole.

A mature INTJ is both giving and friendly and they do smile. Fi smiles in many ways as does Te.

Wait... What about the pauses in speech? Ti give away? Not actaully. Ni/Fi will pause and speak in a broken way and in a rush ( Te) when the thoughts are readily available in the form of words.

One more, some one mentioned seeing Ne. It isn't there. Ne is very bouncy. Wait... Doesn't Cumberbatch bounce? Yes! Is this Ne, nope! Ne's movements are not at all controlled. Cumberbatch is in complete control when he moves, when he gestures. This is Ni. So...what about the bouncy? That once again is the Te you are seeing mixed with the Se.

Lastly, expressive face. This is Te. You see everything on a Te face, but it isn't realted to Fe. What you're seeing isn't instant emotion it is what Te does with Fi emotion. Te and nicely developed Se will play with your face.

I know this still choppy, but I hate typing on an iPad, so if you have any other questions, please ask!

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Fe has an expressive face. Fi users can actually have quite the poker face.

Reactions: hannita

·
Registered
11 Posts
^^ any extroverted function is expressive. Cumberbatch isn't emoting using Fe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fe tends to be much more emotionally expressive than Te.
Actually that's not entirely true. We have to think of functions and how they work together. Te is fueled by Fi which is extremely emotional. This is why a Te argument seems to be much more emotionally charged than a Ti argument.

But it's easy to confuse if you don't know exactly what you're looking at. =)

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Actually that's not entirely true. We have to think of functions and how they work together. Te is fueled by Fi which is extremely emotional. This is why a Te argument seems to be much more emotionally charged than a Ti argument.

But it's easy to confuse if you don't know exactly what you're looking at. =)
Fi is introverted feeling, Fe is extraverted feeling. Both Fi and Fe can be emotional but Fe being an extraverted function would probably show that to the external world more. Te and Ti are logic functions and are quite detached. Both arguments can seem emotionally charged depending on the subject and person. Fi-Te users are typically harder to read though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fi is introverted feeling, Fe is extraverted feeling. Both Fi and Fe can be emotional but Fe being an extraverted function would probably show that to the external world more. Te and Ti are logic functions and are quite detached. Both arguments can seem emotionally charged depending on the subject and person. Fi-Te users are typically harder to read though.

Yes of course! But an Fi user is not less expressive than a Fe user, they are just expressive in a different way. Introvert feeling merely means where the judging happens. The way the face is engaged is key here. Everyone is expressive in some manner. But your "feeling" function shows up in more than how much you emote. For instance, i know many a Te user ( my father included) that when engaged in pleasent conversation is very expressive and his face is doing all kinds of things, but it is a much different kind of expressive than my brother a dom Fe user and my cousin who is INFJ.

So it isn't to say he isn't at all expressive, it is just a different type of expressive.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Yes of course! But an Fi user is not less expressive than a Fe user, they are just expressive in a different way. Introvert feeling merely means where the judging happens. The way the face is engaged is key here. Everyone is expressive in some manner. But your "feeling" function shows up in more than how much you emote. For instance, i know many a Te user ( my father included) that when engaged in pleasent conversation is very expressive and his face is doing all kinds of things, but it is a much different kind of expressive than my brother a dom Fe user and my cousin who is INFJ.

So it isn't to say he isn't at all expressive, it is just a different type of expressive.
Hmm I see, that sounds interesting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a really interesting argument to me. I believe you are half right. He is most certainly and Ni/Se user. So let's explore the possibilities. INFJ vs INTJ.

Cumberbatch is not an Fe user if he were his voice would not be so soft. Fi makes your voice soft, Fe makes your voice easily loud. Like those people that seem they can raise their voices with not even trying. Next, look at his eyes, his eyebrows move when he talks but again not in a fluid way. His actual eyes never look happy. Fe= happy looking eyes even when you're not smiling. This is not to say Fi is sad, just as an introverted (internal) function it is not plastered on someone's face. Fe also engages the ENTIRE face not just the mouth and brow muscles. Watch closely, we are seeing only mouth and brow muscles in excited Cumberbatch interviews.

What about nervousness? He is a nervous person in public situations, he has said so. Fe is at ease with people.

What about the fact that he gives to charity and is humble about it? Fi is the most deeply moved of all the types ( get this intjs, that means function wise you should be the most affected most moved most passonate of the NT). Fi is moved to do something like give to charity. Yet this is not the dom Fi of an INFP because there is decesive action behind it. So it would be difficult for his Te to be dead last on his totempole.

A mature INTJ is both giving and friendly and they do smile. Fi smiles in many ways as does Te.

Wait... What about the pauses in speech? Ti give away? Not actaully. Ni/Fi will pause and speak in a broken way and in a rush (Te) when the thoughts are readily available in the form of words.

Lastly, expressive face. This is Te. You see everything on a Te face, but it isn't realted to Fe. What you're seeing isn't instant emotion it is what Te does with Fi emotion. Te and nicely developed Se will play with your face.
Sorry but this is the strangest way I've seen the functions described. I personally don't see how someone can be judged based solely by how their face is expressed, or how their voice sounds. And I've never, ever heard of Se and Te being seen in facial expressions. But surely their actions, what they say, and how they look at the world are more important than superficial qualities?

Benedict has never struck me as anything but a Fe user- and not just based on his facial expressions or the way he comes across in conversation.

Here is, I believe, a great example of Fe: Last October he did an interview with Sherlock co-star Louise Brealey at the Chetlenham Literacy Festival. When he got on stage, he admitted to being really nervous. So he said to the audience that he usually does breathing exercises when he's nervous and asked everybody else to join in so he would feel more at ease.

Fe is not always at ease with other people, either. That is just a stereotype. In fact, a lot of Fe users can be incredibly self conscious because they're so focused on presenting themselves in the best way possible to other people. As in, they don't want to come off as rude or accidentally hurt someone's feelings.

Having said all that, many interviewers have described Benedict as charming, gregarious and warm. He has lots of friends too. So despite his nerves, he does become at ease eventually. A few people on this very forum (as well as in other places) have mistyped him as an extrovert because of this.

I think the caring about charity is more of a feeler thing than anything else. Fe and Fi users both can deeply be moved about something, after all. And Benedict isn't just moved by issues- he strives to make a difference for the betterment of society. Almost every charity he supports are within his own community, like the Prince's Trust. And just look at how many times he's mentioned the tax cuts in theater, and how he says while he's lucky he's making money so many actors are struggling to get by. He's spoken at campaigns against them, and has contemplated setting up a theater himself some time down the line. That's not just being humble or touched by a cause- it's a strongly held belief that a difference can be made.

ETA: I don't know what interviews you've been watching because Benedict definitely uses his entire face when he emotes. His eyes can be extremely expressive like here, and they're certainly not always "sad" as you put it. When he genuinely smiles, his entire face smiles. He becomes this big crinkly mess- even around the eye area.

...And I just want to include this photo, because I can:

XD

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apologies for replying to my own post but I read a discussion on another website about Benedict Cumberbatch's supposed "friendship" with Julian Assange, who he is portraying in the Fifth Estate. I thought it would be interesting to discuss here because what I found out really brings his moral stance (something I was trying to explain in my previous reply about his charity work) to light.

Basically, Benedict felt that he had a moral responsibility to portray Assange in the fairest way possible so he contacted the man himself for information. This is how it went, in his own words:

"I didn't want to hang him out to dry (with my portrayal). I wanted to give a fair account of him. It's a living story, and the moral responsibility was very much part of the job. I tried to reach out to him, to communicate with him, and he was having none of it as far as a meeting goes.

He felt that a meeting would condone a film he felt was too poisonous an account. He got hold of an old script and all sorts of issues blew up when we were filming. He tried to attack it and in his position I'd do the same, probably. We had a discussion, though, which was good. If Julian is feeling that way, politically he's right not to let that (a meeting) happen, because it would be like a blessing."

I find it interesting that Assange's feelings about the whole situation were so important to him. He went out of his way to meet with Stephen Hawking when he was preparing for his biopic too, probably for a similar reason. This really strikes me as something a Fe/Ti user would do.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts