Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the basic ones that people always talk about (attorney, entreprenuer, CEO, etc.) but wanted to see if anyone knows of other good ones. I'm 30 and I've kind of made missteps along the way in choosing careers that were not a good fit for me (because I didn't know my type/that I was different from the majority of females out there) so I'm considering these kinds of career paths, but I'm also curious about what kinds of ENTJ compatible jobs are out there with a quicker/less expensive point of entry than these types.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My ENTJ dad has had a very successful career in electrical engineering (started off as a team member in the labs and worked his way up to upper middle management making a six figure salary). EE was in a bit of a slump due to outsourcing but the big names in the business have realized that the problems cropping up with foreign labor aren't worth the money saved and are bringing a lot of jobs back to the USA so it's been on the rise for the last couple years.

So, if you have a mind for the math and physics, it might be something worth considering. Downside is that any engineering discipline tends to be male dominated. Upside is that there are a decent number of scholarships out there for women going to school for engineering in an effort to balance the genders in the profession.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Law enforcement officer - in particular in scientific/technical speciality? They offer a lot of on-the-job training and you can work your way up from the bottom. I'd have given serious consideration to a career in the FBI if I'd have been American.

A career in finance? There are plenty of opportunities to get in on the ground-floor and work your way up, even if you start in a call-centre. Likewise lots of on-the-job training.

GL.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Research Manager, ENTJs are very good at structuring and they're innovators, looking for new things at the same time. Great combination. They often know what theyre talking about, assertiveness is understandable

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Research Manager, ENTJs are very good at structuring and they're innovators, looking for new things at the same time. Great combination. They often know what theyre talking about, assertiveness is understandable
@UndercoverInstigator a research job actually sounded very appealing to me from the beginning of this search actually. I'm 30 and have some experience under my belt, but it's not in the research field per se. My background is mostly in journalism and for the past three years I've been doing all the marketing and social media (among many other duties) for our small business. Between the journalism and our business, however, I had some other positions that did not really incorporate research.

I have an actual passion for research but I'm curious, are you aware of if there is a barrier of entry in the field for someone who doesn't have a masters or have their undergrad geared toward that field? I have a degree in communications and I minored in history.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
@UndercoverInstigator a research job actually sounded very appealing to me from the beginning of this search actually. I'm 30 and have some experience under my belt, but it's not in the research field per se. My background is mostly in journalism and for the past three years I've been doing all the marketing and social media (among many other duties) for our small business. Between the journalism and our business, however, I had some other positions that did not really incorporate research.

I'm afraid I' not knowledgeable in that area kb82, i study psychology myself
I have an actual passion for research but I'm curious, are you aware of if there is a barrier of entry in the field for someone who doesn't have a masters or have their undergrad geared toward that field? I have a degree in communications and I minored in history.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I didn't do that right lol. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable in that field, I study psychology at undergrad level myself. But good luck and do some research, if you really wanna do it you'll find that nothing's more important to you than that goal ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Interesting to see suggestions and your background. The ENTJs I know are not very entrepreneurial nor innovative. They are good at organizing and making things run efficiently (and play the social game with the brass). Both (I know these best and that they are for sure tested ENTJs) are middle level bosses on the move. Both took jobs inside an existing big corp organization and are doing very fine there, not even bothering too much with the obvious problems that seem to exist there. Strange.

Anyway, from my experience ENTJs are apt bosses. If there is a very entrepreneurial and innovative one, send him/her to me, please. I could use a decent business partner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts