Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and found a lot of contradictory information about what the best relationship pairings are for ENFP's. For example, socionics says that duality is achieved with an ISTP, and other sites claim this is a terrible combination. As a formerly married, now out gay man, I'm curious (she was ISTP). I spend a lot of time thinking about relationships and on dating websites, trying to size up with little information potential partners. I feel like in person I can tell a lot better how someone is and how we'd fit. But even still, I'd like to know a lot better the theory behind the personality pairings, and also who most ENFP's actually end up with.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
This is purely based off of my own observations... within the categories, they're listed in no particular order.

Extremely common pairings: INTJ, INFJ, INFP, ENTP
Relatively common pairings: ISTP, ENFJ, ISTJ, ESFP, ENFP
Least common pairings: ESFJ, ESTJ, ENTJ, ISFP, ISFJ, ESTP, INTP

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
For me, girls are a good pairing. Others may prefer boys. I'm not one to judge.

But seriously, finding "pairings" isn't productive. People will work out or not work out based on compatibility, and that's much more complicated than any sort of personality system.

·
Registered
770 Posts
There was a study done about mbti pairings and marital satisfaction.

" When researchers Tieger and Barron-Tieger examined couples on the S/N, T/F, and J/P scales, they found that, in general, more similar couples experienced a higher rate of satisfaction with their partner. However, there were some combinations that worked well despite having fewer preferences in common, and some pairings of similar partners that weren’t quite so successful. Some examples:

Sensing Judgers (ESTJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ISFJ) have a satisfaction rate of 79% when paired with other Sensing Judgers. These types tend to be traditionalists who value and honor their commitments. Intuitive Feelers (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ) have a satisfaction rate of 73% when paired with each other. Intuitive Feelers tend to place a high value on relationships and are the most likely of all the types to devote themselves to healthy relationships and open communication. Intuitive, Feeling, Perceiving types (INFP and ENFP) had a satisfaction rate of only 42% when they were paired with Sensing, Thinking, Judging types (ESTJ and ISTJ), although this was one of the more common pairings among the couples studied. The NFP partner is likely to feel that their partner is conservative and stifling, while the STJ partner may find their partner unpredictable and unreliable. When partners have a Feeling preference in common, this can compensate for differences in other areas, perhaps due to Feelers’ inclination to spend more time and energy on their relationships in general. Specifically, Sensing, Feeling Judgers (ESFJ and ISFJ) reported an 86% satisfaction rate when paired with Intuitive, Feeling Perceivers (ENFP and INFP). They had a 67% satisfaction rate when coupled with Intuitive, Feeling Judgers (ENFJ and INFJ). In some cases, having similar type preferences did not mean higher satisfaction. Sensing, Thinking and Perceiving types (ISTP and ESTP) had only a 33% satisfaction rate when paired with other STPs. The researchers theorized that this is due to their findings that ESTPs and ISTPs are the least concerned of all the types with the quality of their relationships. Similarly, Intuitive Thinking types (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ) have only a 59% satisfaction rate when paired with another Intuitive Thinker. These types tend to be among the most critical of their partners and may be harder to please in general."
(source - Compatibility and Your Myers Briggs Personality Type | PersonalityDesk)

Take that with a grain of salt of course.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For ENFP pairings, I think that enneatype makes a big difference. Types 7 and 8 would likely prefer a partner that is intellectually stimulating. Types 2, 4, and 9 would likely prefer a partner that is attentive and supportive, yet still comfortable with abstract conversations (sorry, SFJ's).

Type 7 & 8 likely preferences:
ENTP, INTJ, ENFP and maybe INTP, ENTJ, INFJ, ESFP, and ESTP

Type 7 & 8 unlikely choices:
INFP, ENFJ, ISFP, ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ, and ISTP

Type 2, 4, and 9 likely preferences:
INFP, INFJ, ENFJ, ISFP and maybe ENFP, INTJ, ESFJ, and ISFJ

Type 2, 4, and 9 unlikely choices:
ESFP, ESTJ, ISTJ, ESTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ENTP, and INTP

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Yeah, I don't know, @Bumblyjack. Sometimes it's good to have a bit of groundedness to keep 4ishness from spinning out of control. Stability, a listening ear, and a bit of reassurance are the most helpful things a partner can offer and definitely not beyond the abilities of someone with a T preference. Odds are roughly 95% that a randomly picked xNTP would understand me better and respect my choices more than a randomly picked xSFJ.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
@chimeric
I hate how NT's can understand me yet try to get me to change my priorities and concerns. I have three NT's in my life right now (an INTP, an ENTJ, and an INTJ) that are all trying to get me to convert. On the other hand, SFJ's simply disagree with me on practical matters. They are okay with my romantic idealism as long as I shower, go to work, pick up after myself, and take the garbage out. I can compromise on what I do, I absolutely will not compromise on who I am.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Shit, is this another one of these threads?

We tend to favor IN-J's. However, we also branch out a lot from there, since generally we appreciate everyone for who they are and are really committed to relationships.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
Haha, I accidently married a gay man once... he was a GREAT personal shopper (ISFJ).

N types I find seem to do us well. Bonus points if they share our Fi and Te preference (in no particular order). Thats not to say it won't work with Fe and Ti users too (INFJs, ENTPs etc), just gotta watch the infamous Fe explosion and not take it personally. There is an INFJ/ENFP pairing in my family, they're great together.

I have a thing for INTJs - thats a personal preference.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Haha, I accidently married a gay man once... he was a GREAT personal shopper (ISFJ).

N types I find seem to do us well. Bonus points if they share our Fi and Te preference (in no particular order). Thats not to say it won't work with Fe and Ti users too (INFJs, ENTPs etc), just gotta watch the infamous Fe explosion and not take it personally. There is an INFJ/ENFP pairing in my family, they're great together.

I have a thing for INTJs - thats a personal preference.
Fe explosion? What's that all about? Do tell!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Fe explosion? What's that all about? Do tell!
Hum, heh. Go to the INFJ / ISTP / ENTP forum and piss them off. You will have a front row seat, i dare you ; D XD.....it's kind of like fireworks with the ENFP smiling and literally laughing at the view ;)

And to the OP, well i married an INTJ so i will have to say for me personally they are the bomb. I can't imagine being in a relationship with any other type. I only know male INTJ so can't speak for females of this type. The male are Sexy ;)

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
Hum, heh. Go to the INFJ / ISTP / ENTP forum and piss them off. You will have a front row seat, i dare you ; D XD.....it's kind of like fireworks with the ENFP smiling and literally laughing at the view ;)

And to the OP, well i married an INTJ so i will have to say for me personally they are the bomb. I can't imagine being in a relationship with any other type. I only know male INTJ so can't speak for females of this type. The male are Sexy ;)
What she said! ^^

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Is it a lot different from the Te bitchslap we can bust out?

Cannot imagine seeing an infj or enfj angry... Oh my!
:D INFJs are more difficult to work up, but ENFJs definitely will argue. In my experience it's different from the Te bitchslap in that they can sometimes overreact to things. I think my Te helps me think of not only what I want to argue but also how. When my Te thinks it's logical to come out full force - it will, but it also thinks when it's more logical to hold back and make more of an impact with a more subtle way of arguing/getting a person to see a different view. When they're angry Fe's sometimes tend to get a bit more self-righteous and put being heard over actually changing someone's behavior or mind.

·
Registered
157 Posts
@chimeric
I hate how NT's can understand me yet try to get me to change my priorities and concerns. I have three NT's in my life right now (an INTP, an ENTJ, and an INTJ) that are all trying to get me to convert. On the other hand, SFJ's simply disagree with me on practical matters. They are okay with my romantic idealism as long as I shower, go to work, pick up after myself, and take the garbage out. I can compromise on what I do, I absolutely will not compromise on who I am.
The irony here is that most NTs I know (and know of) would admire your freethinking and independence of thought.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
@chimeric
Wow- That's the opposite of my experience.

NTs might question things I say and debate things with me more than SFJs would (and that's actually arguable), but I don't take that to mean that they want to convert me more. Like I said, I've experienced the opposite.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd cut off some of you guys' right arms to find a cute INFJ girl to settle down with. True story.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I still think that you can't judge person by his or hers personality type. Even though ESFJ could be my worst nightmare when it comes to relationships, then it still might be an ideal match for some ENFP. ENFPs are still people and every ENFP is different.
Though, I've noticed I have this magical attraction towards ISTPs and ENTPs. Not to mention that my sister is an ISTP and we get along super well. It's like a ying and yang thing between us.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts