Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious, do other INTP's treat their best friends like they would their significant others? It seems that if I get really close with someone, I do everything I can to make that person happy. Just like how I would in a relationship.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Perhaps its dat Fe coming out. ; D

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I was just curious, do other INTP's treat their best friends like they would their significant others? It seems that if I get really close with someone, I do everything I can to make that person happy. Just like how I would in a relationship.
Well I suppose. We do value our friendships very highly because they are usually built on very meaningful grounds. I think it is a good thing.
I usually have a couple really close friends that I hold in high esteem but i have had some past falling outs with very close friends because they just crossed one of my lines. It doesn't take much for me to walk away from a toxic friendship but it does take me a lot to walk away from a toxic relationship so I still think there's a difference when it comes to what i'm willing to do or change for a friend versus a boyfriend.

Those are probably personal issues though...

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
Yes, I have a hard time keeping friendships casual, actually.

Not meaning I've been *involved* with every friend I've had but most of the friends I've hing out with for an extended period of time have been very close friends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have a hard time keeping friendships casual, actually.

Not meaning I've been *involved* with every friend I've had but most of the friends I've hing out with for an extended period of time have been very close friends.
Story of my life. It's a point of continued contention in my experience.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Heh.... I'm like that with my best friend right now.
I treat her better than I treated my exes ... and she really does matter to me more than they did (I've known her for much longer).
I mean... a certain bond develops once you've known a person for a certain amount of time, and it's even stronger if you've both lived similar lives and have similar perceptions of the world. I recently found out that she's an ENTP .... so funny, because before she took the test, I'd always say "you're just the extroverted version of me" ... guess I was right.

In any case... I'd do anything for her -- to a certain point. I guess we're still figuring out what boundaries there are, but yea....
I can only think of a handful of other people who I've become that close to. They were guys. They misunderstood.
When I feel close to someone, I tend to lose much of my physical qualms (eg. I'll lean on them, try to sleep on them, hug them randomly) so... I guess I get it?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can get pretty clingy (for lack of a better word) with my close friends, if I don't have an ongoing obsession.
Although I don't really want to marry any of them. They'd annoy me too much. :dry:
Hmmm... Lately, the only people who are not in my usual circle who have talked to me are guys, who are okay people I guess. I wouldn't really marry them either.
But I do hold my friends dear to me, but not that much... I don't show it. But I figure that if I don't have them I'll go crazy and become an antisocial nutcase so I'm pretty sure I need them.
But I don't really go out of my way to do anything for them. Maybe I'll spend three hours drawing their birthday card, but that's because I'm sort of perfectionistic when it comea to art, and I just really like drawing. I also really have to like the thing that I'm drawing.

I can't imagine being with one person for the rest of my life, I'd eventually tire of them, I fear.

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Banned
14,865 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do tend to do everything I can for a friend and I find it difficult to understand when I meet people who don't feel the same way. Right now for example there is these two ladies that sometimes go to lunch with my friend and I. Not a date or anything like that, they are both married, we all just work together.

We wanted to do lunch this friday but one of them wont because she's broke. So of course I (and the others) offer to buy her lunch. She will not accept it. But if she doesn't go then the other one wont go because she's not going to feel comfortable going to lunch with two guys alone, don't blame her.

So I can't understand why someone would be perfectly ok with telling us that she's broke (she's always mentioning how she's broke) but never will let any of us to buy her lunch (not the first time this has happened). She would much rather ruin the fun for everyone than accept a free lunch from a friend.

I understand pride, trust me, I'm pretty proud myself, but I don't understand why a proud person would so willingly admit to being broke all the time.

PS: YAY! My 100th Post!

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
She wouldn't happen to be the girl next door, would she? If so, better chase her before you lose her to some jerkface forever. Regardless of good or bad kind of jerkface; the point is, the person next to her isn't you.

Although it may hurt to ask, you'd have to weigh the consequences of knowing rather than not. And the knowing part is often the life changer. The consequences of the not part is the regret and the nagging that happens down the line over time when you get older where you ask yourself "What if?"

Letters to Juliet said:
Dear Claire, "What" and "If" are two words as non-threatening as words can be. But put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life: What if? What if? What if? I don't know how your story ended but if what you felt then was true love, then it's never too late. If it was true then, why wouldn't it be true now? You need only the courage to follow your heart. I don't know what a love like Juliet's feels like - love to leave loved ones for, love to cross oceans for but I'd like to believe if I ever were to feel it, that I will have the courage to seize it. And, Claire, if you didn't, I hope one day that you will. All my love, Juliet

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Not really.

I do love some of my friends, tho.

One of them I still feel close to like I would if we'd grown up together. Miss him a lot.

·
Banned
50 Posts
I have no friends so this does not apply to me. *walks away*

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just look at it this way: Do you tire of yourself? Of course not. It is just part of you.
And your advice if I do get tired of myself? o.0
Because um....

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I'm more inclined to be nicer to the person who's having sex with me.

I love my friends, but I don't feel compelled to go out of my way to make them happy.

My presence alone should be enough :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. Maybe it's because ENFP's have been my bread and butter since I was born. I'm kind of an abnormal INTP.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts