Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I've been wondering about INFJ's and friendship. I myself have a few very close friends would would all consider me one of if not their best friend. On top of that I have a BEST friend that is ENFJ. Do you guys know your best friends personality type? What personality type seems to work best as friends with INFJ?

My ENFJ friend and I get along almost perfectly. The one thing that irritates me is he is always captain of the group and manipulates people like crazy. Not in a mean way mostly, just to get things done. We bounce heads when he tries to do that to me, and I often do exactly the opposite of what he wants.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My best friend is an ENTP, and she's a bitch. She's pretty much my complement in every way and takes pretty good care of me for some reason though, so it works out anyway. Unless she wants to embarrass me in front of an audience by acting crazed or silly or just off, in which case, well.

Yeah.

·
Banned
521 Posts
My best friend is an ENTP, and she's a bitch. She's pretty much my complement in every way and takes pretty good care of me for some reason though, so it works out anyway. Unless she wants to embarrass me in front of an audience by acting crazed or silly or just off, in which case, well.

Yeah.
What an asshole.

Edit: I'm talking about you, not her btw.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My best friend is a INTJ, she's a selfish, but deep down she cares for people in weird ways. lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
I used to have best friends when I was younger but I've sort of drifted from some of my closer friends ever since moving schools. One of my closest friends is an ENFJ too, we get along great for the most part but our conflicts tend to be over feeling judged by each other and reacting stubbornly when our values are threatened. She's busier and more popular than me, so sometimes I doubt that she feels our level of closeness is consistent either. Maybe it's a Fe thing to feel like there's a bit of tension or a rift whenever the friendship isn't regularly nourished. I read that Fi users, INFPs specifically, don't feel this way as much.

I haven't seen my ISFJ friend for months but I still consider her a friend. I like how whenever we meet up, we always pick up conversation from the same place like nothing has changed. We tend to have less conflicts, but there is a more enthusiastic dynamic between my ENFJ friend and I, which comes with more ups and downs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Most of my close friends are 'the best' in some sort of way, as I resist the label 'best friend', but I will admit that my INFP friend really is at a level closer to me than anyone else.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think we have friends in our lives at different times for different reasons and we probably each have different reasons for calling one of them our "best" friend. My best friend holds her title because I've known her for so long that she's like family, not because our personalities mesh perfectly. I bet that many of your friends consider you their best friend because you have the understanding and empathy of an INFJ.

The people I feel closest to seem to be of various personality types, but when I meet an INFJ or INFP we immediately hit it off. I think 2 NF's can really understand each other.

·
Registered
802 Posts
For ten years my best friend was an ISFJ. We were really close until we left high school, when we naturally drifted apart. Currently my closest friend is an ENFP. She's tremendous fun and can be phenomenally generous, yet she can also be selfish and manipulative. She and I have had our ups and downs because of this. I'm having to learn to appreciate the good times, but to never forget that she has a darker side that she needs help keeping in check.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Okay, so I've been wondering about INFJ's and friendship. I myself have a few very close friends would would all consider me one of if not their best friend. On top of that I have a BEST friend that is ENFJ. Do you guys know your best friends personality type? What personality type seems to work best as friends with INFJ?

My ENFJ friend and I get along almost perfectly. The one thing that irritates me is he is always captain of the group and manipulates people like crazy. Not in a mean way mostly, just to get things done. We bounce heads when he tries to do that to me, and I often do exactly the opposite of what he wants.
My sister is an ENFJ, I get along with her well. She does manipulate and it drives me nuts.

My best friends are an ENTP and an ISFJ. ISFJ's can be great friends because they're one of the few personalities generally dispositioned to be nicer than an INFJ. INFP's would generally fall into this too, except they tend to be more self-focused.

Reactions: ruth2ten

·
Registered
275 Posts
Same story- pretty good friends with ENFJ although she tends to be manipulative as well. What I like about her is that she is able to get me socializing with other people I don't know. She is pretty good at making people feel included. However she likes to ALWAYS be doing something. We can't just chill for long before I'm getting dragged into something with a lot of people.

Another personality that I'm good friends with is an ISFP. He's good at noticing things, and seeing things from an angle that I completely miss. Usually it leads to interesting conversations. He's spontaneous and subtle at the same time and I've only recently figured out how to keep up with him. Good to chill with though.

My other good friend is an INTJ. She's incredibly insightful on ideas and situations and great to discuss things with, however she is really stubborn and many times I can't get her to look at things from a different angle. Even just acknowledge them. Lots of times I feel stupid around her lol but in a good way sorta. She's also cool with just chilling.

Good friends? All of them yes. Best friends? Eh...I'll have to get back to you on that. Probably the closest to the best friend is the ISFP dude.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm an ENFP, and my best guy friend is an INFJ. We absolutely click. He loves to have deep philosophical conversations about stuff and will often bounce ideas off of me just because he can. We're also both insanely analytical and can, together, analyze pretty much ANYTHING.

Granted, we do have our differences, for sure-- like that he's the most organized person ever and organization is not even in my vocabulary.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
At the current time I have no friends. Some I have outlived, some have drifted off, and some I have alienated. I do that alot!
At 70, what defines a best friend? The aged Felix and Oscar? George was my friend, but he died a few years ago in the VA nursing home. The childhood friend who contacted me recently thought I was my late brother. Insisted on it!

I have a list of chores. I have to get my new greenhouse up before frost, get the daylily beds weeded -when the weather cools -and fix the shed where I will set up my lathe for some gifts I want to do. There is the minor repairs in this old house to be done.
But folks, I have my emotional bags all packed and ready to go on an open-ended adventure into the hereafter. So are most of my contemporaries.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My sister is an ENFJ, I get along with her well. She does manipulate and it drives me nuts.

My best friends are an ENTP and an ISFJ. ISFJ's can be great friends because they're one of the few personalities generally dispositioned to be nicer than an INFJ. INFP's would generally fall into this too, except they tend to be more self-focused.
omg my sister is an ESFJ/ENFJ shes in between and we get along and my friends are ENTP,ISFJ and my bestfriend/brother is an ESTJ.
ENTP-he's cool cause he get's me to have fun and let loose and we love talking about making money and business tactics,plus he helps me blow stuff up(fun time friend)

ISFJ- we read each others minds with out talking sometimes it's great. He's the only one I can do that with, He's really emotional which helps when I'm feeling extra emotional.(my stay home and watch a movie friend)

ESTJ-We both have the same values, We want to be the best we can possibly be and even though he is a complete asshole and nothing like me(seriously), he means well and he's really there for me. Plus he's my bro so no one can replace him.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My best friend is another INFJ. She and I have a nearly telepathic relationship. We've never, even at the beginning, had to explain ourselves to each other. Many people finish each other's sentences only after knowing each other for a long time, but we were finishing each other's sentences from the start. Being around her is validating and thus empowering. I finally feel as if I have been truly seen and understood and loved for who I am in my infinite weirdness. She sees me how I want to be seen, and I see her how she wants to be seen. The only problem is that when you get us together, we forget about the outside world. We get stuck in our little dreamland and feel completely comfortable staying there. Thus, we have the same weaknesses and may not encourage each other to grow beyond them. But it sure is wonderful knowing that there is someone who completely understands me. Everyone needs a friendship like that. It helps us love and believe in ourselves more. And when we love and believe in ourselves, our hearts grow and we're inspired to fulfill our purposes.

Best friend - INFJ
Other awesome friends - INFJ, INTJ, ENFP, ESTJ
Boyfriend - ISTP
Mom - ESFJ
Dad - ISTP
Brother - ESTP

I have a somewhat relevant question. Notice how my boyfriend and dad are both ISTPs. It has often been said that women subconsciously go for men that have the same qualities as their fathers (I suppose that this is learned preference/learned behavior from childhood; even if your dad was not the best dad, types like him may seem the most familiar and thus the most subconsciously attractive to you). Has any female here seen type connections between their fathers and boyfriends? It's random and borderline creepy, but I'm just wondering. I often find that I'm emotionally and intellectually attracted to N-types. But I haven't found an N-type yet that I've had physical chemistry with. It's always S-types that I feel drawn towards in that way. An interesting developmental psychology topic, ain't it? :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm my own "best friend" so I guess my best friend is an INFJ. :) hehe

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I'm my own "best friend" so I guess my best friend is an INFJ. :) hehe
I feel I have to agree with this ^

This is an interesting thread, and it caused me to ponder the subject today. I probably have odd friendships.

There are 3 people who tell me I am their best friend. Male: ENTJ, Females: ESFJ's
I, however, only consider them very good friends.

The person I consider "my best friend" is a soul friend, an INFJ from PerC, who has given me the INFJ door slam. (I think this friend might be an ISFJ though).

Why do I consider this person, who has cut me out of their life, to be my best friend?
Because I received something that no one else has ever been able to give me...
and I'm not even quite sure what it is. :confused:

I felt safe and opened up, like I've never opened up to anyone...set it all on the table...the good, the bad & the ugly. I poured out my heart and soul.

My best friend knows me better than anyone else ever has. My best friend makes me want to be a better person.
My best friend gave me a hope in the future. Stirred up in me a fighting spirit to dream of something more, better, and beautiful.

"A friend is a gift you give yourself"

I'd like that gift for me...I pray for that gift...I will hope, until my friend's last breath, that I will have the opportunity to to sit with, spend time with, speak to, and hear my friend's voice again.

I am blessed beyond measure, because I was allowed to meet my best friend.

Until then...I will be my best friend and try to be a better, best friend for people who want me to be their friend.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My best friend is an ENFP. My other close friends are ENFJ, ISFJ, INFP...mostly NFs. My sister is an ESTJ and clash a lot in values.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I probably have odd friendships.

There are 3 people who tell me I am their best friend. Male: ENTJ, Females: ESFJ's
I, however, only consider them very good friends.

The person I consider "my best friend" is a soul friend, an INFJ from PerC, who has given me the INFJ door slam. (I think this friend might be an ISFJ though).

Why do I consider this person, who has cut me out of their life, to be my best friend?
Because I received something that no one else has ever been able to give me...
and I'm not even quite sure what it is. :confused:
Definitely relatable. I've had best friends other than myself in the past but my former bestie gave me the "door slam" too at a point. For me, it occurred because she was so focused on her romantic relationship and new group of friends that I didn't belong to, or particularly enjoy being around. I remember it hurt for a very long, long time, until I was able to grow in my confidence of being my own friend.

I do wish I had a best friend other than myself. Maybe one day. I think for me it would most likely be plausible with a potential romantic partner, though the idea of me finding someone seems a bit far-fetched to me. lol

A girl can dream, though. :)

Reactions: ruth2ten

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do not consider anyone a best friend. There is some I consider good friends but I do not allow anyone to get close enough to me to allow them to be my best friend. I'm always looking for their motivation as why they're around me because I feel they are not legit as they seem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts