Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without over-thinking (yep it'll be hard), what is the memory that you believe is the better one? The best recall?
I+had+fun+once...+Found+on+the+interwebs+Enjoy_01ec0b_4120269.jpg

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
So are we supposed remember a pleasant memory without over thinking about it? Or are we supposed to choose between memories without over thinking about it?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I typically remember the best and worst moments of my life in great detail. When it comes to people I usually forget and then it's really awkward when I see them again and they embrace me.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are we supposed remember a pleasant memory without over thinking about it? Or are we supposed to choose between memories without over thinking about it?
I think this is already over thinking :laughing:
More you think about a thing, more you want to change it. Just choose one of them without over thinking about other possibilities.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have a quite poor memory. I will start with my bad ones because it seems to "exercise" my ability to remember stuff in general.

Some of my worst memories include:

- Being baptized against my will (I was very young, and went along with the social pressure to do it; wasn't "forced" per se)
- Getting pushed over by a spiritual "healer" in a church (causing me to fall backward, like all the other ass hats who felt pressure to do it. I was shocked he pushed me, and so mad I stood back up lol)
- Two weeks of heavy manipulation by last girlfriend (last 2 weeks we were together :p )
- Getting a ticket I so deserved for passing someone in a no passing zone (passed an obnoxiously slow driver though)

-

Some of my best memories include:

- The first time I had decent sex (which was within the last 3 years, considering I've been sexually active for over 10 years lol)
- Quitting my 9 year retail career
- Driving 136mph on an empty highway
- Getting a ticket and having the cop talk himself down heavily because he loved my anti-government bumper stickers (the irony!)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Oh ok. A pleasant recent memory(i got a crap memory by the way): Trying out my new strange botkiller stickybomb launcher and doing very well for several rounds of king of the hill........ahh that was fun.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Without over-thinking, I'd say my best memory was around the end of the school year. An arrogant senior (I was a junior.) was annoying the heck out of me for not being a senior. I burned him in front of the class by bringing up my superior grades (Everyone was shocked because I have a reputation for being shy, quiet, and kind.). That shut him up for a while (I felt bad about it at the time, though.).

My second-best memory was around the beginning of the school year when one of my teachers searched "oops" on Google Images on the Smart-Board. No one expected THAT would show up.

Another good memory was AP Chemistry (junior year). I loved it to pieces while the rest of my classmates didn't for some reason.

Yet another good memory was meeting a bunch of nerds my junior year. I had finally found my people!

Needless to say, junior year was my favorite school year.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
We have a little cottage up in the mountains where we spend our summers. Well, I don't anymore, but that' not relevant.

There we have small mountain(mountlet?) that we climb.

One the best things I know sitting on top of that mountain on a sunny and windy day, looking down at the lakes just enjoying it, thinking about stuff.

So my best memory is of the times I've been doing that.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I generally devalue my good experiences. From my experience good things happen only if you bust your ass to get them and thus making the final result only logical consequence. I cannot feel happy about that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have like, two, that come to mind, but that's due to the fact the topic of such memories came up in the last two days.
My favourite in term of simple pleasures has to be when I was about 7 or 8 and lived in Ottawa. It was summer, and I don't remember why we were on the road (I think we were just leaving the mall near our house), but as we were heading home, a storm rolled in. If you're from southern Ontario, or anywhere that is notorious for hot humid summers and freak storms, you probably know what's coming. It had been overcast all day, but within a matter of minutes that overcast went to a sort of purple/black, and thunder began to crack across the sky. Shield lightning joined in, and there was this torrential onslaught of rain. Like it was going sideways, this downpour was so hard. Came out of bloody nowhere. It's that kind of weather where even if you're on the highway you'd be better off pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for it to pass (since it lasts a short time, like anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes sometimes longer but not often). I'll just never forget being in the back of the car as my mom pulled over and her, my brother, and myself watched the sky look and sound angrier than we'd ever heard it. I guess you could say we were awe-struck.

Other memory is amusing. Well it's two memories, sort of tied together. Recent - from my senior year of high school.
In spring semester, I was taking English 12. And I HATED the teacher. He was a narcissistic blowhole that would go off on tangents. He basically called our entire class (well not the class exactly, more so the type of people that inhabit our town) hicks. Which, while we know we are and joke about it (we're known for our corn. Let's leave it at that), he was just so abrasive about it. And when he doesn't like what's going on situationally, he will personally attack people. Yes, he personally attacks students.
The first memory comes from the day I had a group assignment due. This teacher had an issue with properly conveying what he expected out of assignments, and what we were doing was basically a book report in group form. My entire group didn't know what to do, so we did what we could and slapped together our honest to goodness best work.
He refused to take it.
Initially.
I tended to show up 2-5 minutes before class if I was lucky in the morning. Normally I was either just on time or a tad late. This time I showed up a few minute early, just in time to be told by the friend in my group "he's not letting us have the photocopy key so we can print the assignment and hand it in. He's saying we didn't follow the rules and won't waste the time and paper of photocopying."
I was LIVID. I had missed the day before (this is important), but I still did all my work and sent it off to this friend so he could compile our work and make it complete (based on the standards we expected 'complete' meant). I worked my ass off reading this stupid book (we all hated it halfway through, even more so by the end), a book we didn't truly get to pick because all the other groups basically claimed all the good stuff by the time we could get to the selections. I found the entire two week assignment tedious. To hear my teacher, who didn't even explain what he expected or wanted in the first place (he breezed over it, basically leaving us to our own devices the entire time. Looking back, it was basically a 2 week freebie for him), say he was refusing it?
And worst of all, my group was just complaining and otherwise seeming to accept we'd lose a significant chunk of our mark due to my teacher refusing to take it?
I took action. This was what happened...
Me: We need the photocopy key.
Him: No.
Me: We can't hand in our assignment without that key. Are you saying we can't hand in our assignment that's due today?
Him: I'm not marking the same assignment five times.
[[my group went silent at this but I kept going, refusing to let him win because it's authority figure vs student]]
Me: It won't be the same - our vocabulary sections are all different.
[[I had him at this, so...]]
Him: It's due RIGHT at the start of class. You have two minutes. You won't be able to do it in time.
Me: We can scribble [our names and vocab sections, since the vocabulary sections were all different] fast. Either way, they'll all be different.
Him: *cutting me off* No, no, no, it doesn't work like that. All the work has to be different. One section is meaningless.
Me: So why were we in groups them? This was a GROUP assignment, so we worked as a GROUP.
Him: It was for discussion. I can't take what you have; I don't know who did what.
Me: We all added to it; we worked off each other's notes.
Him: *cutting me off again* No, no, no... *repeats the fact the group was for discussion, not how we used it*
Me: You've seen our group; the only way we could get this done was by doing it like this.
Him: Not my problem.
Me: We spent hours last night finishing this.
Him: Well yesterday was the fudge-up day, 'day 10' so to speak, so you could finish it up. Where were you?
Me: *even more angered* I TOLD you I wouldn't be here and YOU said it was okay. That because it was a 'fudge-up' day I could miss it. *school bell rings* And we have our assignment done. You're not really going to not take something from us, are you?
Him: *takes a minute to pause, clearly defeated* Okay look, I'll take it... but one copy. The only problem is you'll have the exact same mark.
Me: *not seeing why this is such a huge deal* We never really had discussions that we could get legitimate notes down. We did it differently, that's all.
Him: Well the only problem is you'd all get the same marks. You're okay with that?
Me: Yeah. We all did the same amount of work. It's no big deal.

I owned a teacher. I OWNED him. The look on his face when I snapped back regarding the whole 'where were you' comment was hilarious; he was clearly not expecting a student to fight back, let alone a girl.
He hated me after that. He had issues with me before that because I didn't do the work like he expected (I did what I thought he wanted. He got mad that I always 'started out well' and that went downhill from there. I think his exact words were 'you started out well but it's been getting worse with each paragraph you do'), that I was a 'distraction' (the people I sat near had attention issues, and we all always got our work done in our own time and did acceptable to rather well, so I let them engage me in conversation), that I was a 'slacker' (in class since I did fuck all in the classroom setting), etc. After that incident, he had it out for me. Even more so because I was the student with the best work - I did nothing all class, but when it came time to hand in assignments, I had 5 to 5.5 out of 6 (only once did I get anything less than 5). When provincial/final testing was over and done with, I had myself a nice shiny overall mark of A.
Which leads me to my next memory.

I would text in class. Sue me. I sat in the front sort of (the set up of desks was sort of an E shape. It's hard to explain; I wasn't up front but I wasn't in the middle or back either...), and as a result was basically in the line of view of the teacher. I would only text when he was going off on unnecessary tangents (like calling us all hicks and remembering that one time in college, or that one hockey game he watched). Others would text all the time.
One time he got tired of seeing my hands in my lap and my eyes down there, so he cut himself off mid-sentence and said, "Are you texting Sarah?". I looked up, bewildered, and one minute he's by the boards and the next he's standing WAY too close for comfort. He holds his hand out for my phone, and demands I pass it over.
In the middle of class, his own lecture at that.
He makes me apologize at the end of class when I get it back. But I was MAD. He embarrassed me, deliberately at that (as he went on to say, after taking my phone and sticking it in his shirt pocket, that if he catches anyone else texting they'll experience the same as me. Naming me again).
So I started messing with his head. It took about a week, but at the end of it, he was going off on one of his stupid tangents, and I had my legs crossed, hands on my lap, and head slightly down. Pretending to be more discreet, but clearly still texting.
My phone, meanwhile, is in my purse at my feet. Nowhere near me.
Mid-sentence, he cuts off. He VAULTS (a 6'4" awkwardly skinny man literally plants his hand down on a desk, pushes up, swings his legs over the desks like he's a fucking gymnast doing the vault, and literally hops) over the line of desks and demands, "Sarah, hand over your phone!"
I bat my eyelashes innocently and lift my hands up. He comes around and sees my lap empty. He makes me stand up. I stand up, he examines my seat, and then says, "You're not allowed to have your hands under your desk. New rule."
There were a mixture of sniggers and shocked eyes as he walked back up to the front and continued on. But when it came silent time a few minutes later (for doing work), the people around me said to me "what the hell was he trying to prove? That was awesome - good job Sarah". It was a great feeling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My best memory would be the year 2007. I was still living with my dad and spent all day playing World of Warcraft next to the open window in my bedroom. I can still remember the feeling of the sun and the breeze coming through the window while I sat at my computer, thinking about it relaxes me.

I know it sounds sad that this is my best memory but that was the last year that I got to feel like a kid without any adult worries or stresses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts