Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best movie you've seen recently? I have a Netflix subscription and am looking for movies to add to my queue.

Recently I saw "Date Night," which was really funny. I also saw "The Hours." While it was depressing and perhaps a little melodramatic, it was thought-provoking.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Detective Dee was the latest movie I watched. It was pretty good since I liked Carina Lau as the only female emperor of China. Great portrayal of a Machiavellian character.

Enthiran looks good too. Admittedly I haven't watched this yet, but I have heard many rave reviews and intend to do so.

Reactions: yellowbritt

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The last movie that I saw which I really liked was There Will Be Blood.

Actually, now that I think about it a bit, I did recently see an Australian film called The Interview with Hugo Weaving. It's about 10 years old, but I loved it. Too similar to The Usual Suspects though (this is both a good and a bad thing).

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's an old movie (1993), but "Arizona Dream" with Johnny Depp was just as good as I remembered it to be. Could be just me, but I found the mood of the film to be rather INFJish...

Reactions: yellowbritt

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Invictus, Nelson Mandela guessed as an INFJ too which makes it even more interesting because he is the main character.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Oh geez, there' been a few.

Inception was probably the best but three other really good ones were
The Jones's
How to train your dragon - tied with UP for the best pixar in my book
Kick Ass - I know, it looks horrible but it's actually a really good movie and you actually care about the characters.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Haven't subscribed to Netflix for over a year now but looking through my history here are some titles I apparently rated 4 or 5 out of 5 stars:

The Seven Samurai, Dersu Uzala, Rashomon, Throne of Blood, Hidden Fortress, Ran and other movies by Akira Kurosawa - I remember these were very enjoyable to watch although some have some gore
Saragossa Manuscript - I highly recommend, was a very bizarre movie
The Motorcycle Diaries - latin america, medical school student
Zelig - story about a person with powers of a chameleon, should be a close subject for INFJs ^^
The Magdalene Sisters - movie about "fallen" women and Catholic church
Noam Chomsky Power and Terror, Manufacturing Consent, etc. when in mood for movies about social issues
The Corporation - movie about american corporations
Monster - movie about a prostitute who turned into a serial killer, based on true story of a woman who was eventually caught and sentenced to death row
The Bicycle Thief - Italy, post WWII depression
Life is Beautiful - another Italian film about a man trying to save his son in a concentration camp
Yana's Friends - a love story taking place in Israel between abandoned pregnant russian woman and a photographer
Valmont - machinations of two jaded people in 18th century France, sad love story in essence
Inherit the Wind - about teaching Darwinism in schools
Born Into Brothels - this movie was talked about a lot when it was released
Nights of Cabiria - movie about a prostitute who is looking for her true love
The Name of the Rose - 14th-century Franciscan monks investigating a murder
Blue and the whole color trilogy - may seem a bit boring but requires some reading between the lines
Secretary - movie about two people falling in love both of them discovering that she is masochistic and he is sadistic, it is a comedy nonetheless
Harold and Maude - don't remember much of it, it's somewhat of a comedy
Dirty Pretty Things - thriller about illegal immigrants
10th Victim - bizarre twist on population control
Nosferatu the Vampyre - because Halloween is almost here ^^
Girl with a Pearl Earring - based on a fictional novel that was written on subject of Vermeer's famous painting
400 Blows - actually don't remember much of this one but I rated it with 4 out of 5 stars
The World According to Garp - one of those more weirder movies
Taste of Cherry - Iran, a man is looking for someone to bury him after he commits suicide
Blow Up - murder and some mystery around it
Talk to Her - this was very strange movie about a guy falling in love with a comatose patient he was tending to
good scifi action/thrillers - Solaris, I Robot, Serenity, Pitch Black, The City of Lost Children, Dragonslayer, Sphere

·
Registered
INFP
1,046 Posts
Last few movies I saw:

the social network - Quite fun to know how Facebook start out. The main story is the lawsuit, there's not much to it but I liked the flash back that made it quite interesting overall.
Wall street: money never sleeps - A movie somewhat related to the recent economic crisis. There's a subtitle reference within the movie the Bear Stern's bankruptcy. You also get a good look at how the american economy is in fact managed by a few bankers along with the fed behind closed doors. The story in itself wasn't that great but the movie was interesting if you like economy/finance, it's quite realist apparently.
Never let go - based on a book. Three kids were raised in a private school to be a sort organ reservoir for other people, they find out about it and live it through as they grow up.
Incendies (Quebec French movie, might make it to the Oscar this year. We'll see...) - a fiction about two children who go back to the middle east to find out about their mother's past. Quite shocking and unexpected!

All very different movies, all quite good.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Last movie i watched that i never before saw was Avatar. My brothers didn't enjoy it really. one wanted the miners to win and the other wished they had used a different culture as a base. lol i could have cared less about anything since i was too involved it in the world itself to care about anything else. The battle at the end was a real drag on to me. i would have preferred it to be movie about exploration of the planet. I loved it when it wasn't focused on people but the world but it was about half and half so i enjoyed it but it could have been way better to me.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
the social network is quite amazing. concept sounds bland, but fincher did wonderful things.
Yeah. I love David Fincher. He's my favorite Director (followed closely by Tarantino and Christopher Nolan). I remember saying to myself how bad the movie would be, and then it said directed by Fincher. I was like... uh what? lol It was a very informative movie (done in the same light as The Zodiac), but I prefer his movies with original stories myself (Fight Club, Se7en, The Game). I mean shit, he even directed the music video for Judith by A Perfect Circle. I fucking love that video. In fact, I'm going to link it here so you don't have to go search for it!

YouTube - A Perfect Circle - Judith (Unedited Video) (Explicit)

·
Registered
INFP
1,046 Posts
Last few movies I saw:

the social network - Quite fun to know how Facebook start out. The main story is the lawsuit, there's not much to it but I liked the flash back that made it quite interesting overall.
Wall street: money never sleeps - A movie somewhat related to the recent economic crisis. There's a subtitle reference within the movie the Bear Stern's bankruptcy. You also get a good look at how the american economy is in fact managed by a few bankers along with the fed behind closed doors. The story in itself wasn't that great but the movie was interesting if you like economy/finance, it's quite realist apparently.
Never let go - based on a book. Three kids were raised in a private school to be a sort organ reservoir for other people, they find out about it and live it through as they grow up.
Incendies (Quebec French movie, might make it to the Oscar this year. We'll see...) - a fiction about two children who go back to the middle east to find out about their mother's past. Quite shocking and unexpected!

All very different movies, all quite good.
Forgot to add that Never let go, as a romantic story that is really well done. It's not cheesy or anything and I liked it quite a bit :blushed:

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Invention of Lying

Very funny. AND it made me think twice about wanting a world with nothing but 100% honesty. I didn't realize how far reaching that actually was. Very eye opening.

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not exactly "watched recently (at least not for the first time :p)" but

1) Shawshank Redemption

2) The Green Mile

3) Mystic River

4) V for Vendetta

That and Saving Private Ryan, Letters from Iwo Jima, and Planes Trains & Automobiles are the only movies I have watched *and enjoyed watching* +2 times.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts